• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The sea...

Do you feel this "longing" towards the sea?

• Total voters

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That is why you fail.

Well Poseidon would really be more of a third act thing. He's who everyone has to appeal to to end all the carnage against the people of the land. I'm thinking of an ending where he is appealed to through the power of love. See, in this iteration BIlly Blobfish falls for a human woman and has a change of heart. He appeals to his King Poseidon through his act of love and explains that his lover convinced him humans were worth saving. Poseidon goes "Ah yes, I remember when the something like this happened with my red-haired or brown-haired daughter fell for one of the land folk; that was around the time that delightful crab sang about how better it is down where it's wetter." Moved to tears, Poseidon then decides to stay the wrath of the oceans.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
BTW this is all taking place an underwater stonehenge but with Greek columns and stuff. This space is where the people of the water sacrifice humans to Poseidon and so it is noteworthy that Billy Blobfish offers himself up for a sacrifice in this space. This as an act that ultimately leads to Poseidon's decision to show mercy towards humanity; none of the Sea Folk have ever been sacrificed here before, let alone willingly.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I challenge anyone to take a boat out on the big lakes and tell me they're just lakes. That said, I feel rather sorry for those that are landlocked with man made reservoirs as the only water around.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I challenge anyone to take a boat out on the big lakes and tell me they're just lakes. That said, I feel rather sorry for those that are landlocked with man made reservoirs as the only water around.
Lakes are Spiritually the same as the Sea.​

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love everything about the ocean, except being on the open water. I know my limits, I am not a great swimmer...but I don't want to be on boats or anything.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don’t understand why they aren’t referred to as seas.

The Cat

Staff member
A man who jumps into the sea at night, learns something he could learn no other way...its a short lived lesson every time.​

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No idea...

All I can find is a dumb rule that it's due to the distinction between fresh and salt water bodies. Although if that's the case, why not refer to salt lakes as small seas? I think it should be based on size and not content.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
All I can find is a dumb rule that it's due to the distinction between fresh and salt water bodies. Although if that's the case, why not refer to salt lakes as small seas? I think it should be based on size and not content.
Well, you'd have to change the place in Utah to Inland Sea City.

The Cat

Staff member
the rabbit hole you need to go down is in linguistics not ecology.

Middle English se, seo, from Old English sæ,"sheet of water, sea, lake, pool," from Proto-Germanic *saiwa- (source also of Old Saxon seo, Old Frisian se, Middle Dutch see, Dutch zee, German See, Swedish sjö), of unknown origin, outside connections "wholly doubtful" [Buck], and an IE etymon "has generally been doubted" [Boutkan]. The meaning "any great mass or large quantity" (of anything) is from c. 1200.

Germanic languages also use the more general Indo-European word (represented by English mere (n.1)) but have no firm distinction between "sea" and "lake," either large or small, by inland or open, salt or fresh. This may reflect the Baltic geography where the languages are thought to have originated. The two words are used more or less interchangeably in Germanic, and exist in opposite senses (such as Gothic saiws "lake, marshland," marei "sea;" but Dutch zee "sea," meer "lake"). Compare also Old Norse sær "sea," but Danish sø, usually "lake" but "sea" in phrases. German See is "sea" (fem.) or "lake" (masc.).

Boutkan writes that the sea words in Germanic likely were originally "lake," and the older word for "sea" is represented by haff. The single Old English word sæ glosses Latin mare, aequor, pontus, pelagus, and marmor. The range in the Old English word included "the expanse of salt water that covers much of the world" to individual great, distinctly limited bodies of water; it also was used of inland seas, bogs, lakes, rivers, and the Bristol Channel.

The meaning "dark area of the moon's surface" is attested from 1660s (see mare (n.2)); before the invention of telescopes they were supposed to be water. The phrase sea change "transformation," literally "a change wrought by the sea," is attested from 1610, first in Shakespeare ("The Tempest," I.ii). Sea legs, humorous colloquial term implying ability to walk on a ship's deck when she is pitching or rolling is from 1712. At sea in the figurative sense of "perplexed" is attested from 1768, from literal sense (in reference to ships) of "out of sight of land" (c. 1300).

The word lake comes from Middle English lake ('lake, pond, waterway'), from Old English lacu ('pond, pool, stream'), from Proto-Germanic *lakō ('pond, ditch, slow moving stream'), from the Proto-Indo-European root *leǵ- ('to leak, drain'). Cognates include Dutch laak ('lake, pond, ditch'), Middle Low German lāke ('water pooled in a riverbed, puddle') German Lache ('pool, puddle'), and Icelandic lækur ('slow flowing stream'). Also related are the English words leak and leach.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The meaning "dark area of the moon's surface" is attested from 1660s (see mare (n.2)); before the invention of telescopes they were supposed to be water. The phrase sea change "transformation," literally "a change wrought by the sea," is attested from 1610, first in Shakespeare ("The Tempest," I.ii). Sea legs, humorous colloquial term implying ability to walk on a ship's deck when she is pitching or rolling is from 1712. At sea in the figurative sense of "perplexed" is attested from 1768, from literal sense (in reference to ships) of "out of sight of land" (c. 1300).
The part about the moon is cool; I didn't realize that it wasn't just a cute term used by astronomers (famous for cute terms!).

It seems like they might use sea for water of any size, but lake might be limited to smaller bodies, maybe? But then we have our Great Lakes which throw everything off; anyway it's said that the two terms are used interchangeably in Germanic languages.

But they should be seas when we have the Black Sea. I guess perhaps that might be due to a translation from some Slavic language.

The Cat

Staff member
The part about the moon is cool; I didn't realize that it wasn't just a cute term used by astronomers (famous for cute terms!).

It seems like they might use sea for water of any size, but lake might be limited to smaller bodies, maybe? But then we have our Great Lakes which throw everything off; anyway it's said that the two terms are used interchangeably in Germanic languages.

But they should be seas when we have the Black Sea. I guess perhaps that might be due to a translation from some Slavic language.

Ah Shouldland where the clean cut boys of the Shouldland High football team get their optimistic asses kicked by their cross town rivals Reality check Tech. In all seriousness linguistics is a rabbit hole filled with rabbit holes. The ocean is just seven seas that constantly touch and intermingle. Personally I like to pine for the fjords, a sinkhole is sometimes just a puddle on steroids dispite connecting to an aquifer which is like an underground river which are essentially lakes and springs with places to be and a current to carry them there. A spring bubbles up from the ground and may be hot or cold depending on how close to a volcano it is; an estuary comes and goes both freshwater and salt called brackish with the tide and deltas , swamps, bogs, and marshes are all differing kinds of wetlands defined often by their sediments and how much they rise and fall.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah Shouldland where the clean cut boys of the Shouldland High football team get their optimistic asses kicked by their cross town rivals Reality check Tech. In all seriousness linguistics is a rabbit hole filled with rabbit holes. The ocean is just seven seas that constantly touch and intermingle. Personally I like to pine for the fjords, a sinkhole is sometimes just a puddle on steroids dispite connecting to an aquifer which is like an underground river which are essentially lakes and springs with places to be and a current to carry them there. A spring bubbles up from the ground and may be hot or cold depending on how close to a volcano it is; an estuary comes and goes both freshwater and salt called brackish with the tide and deltas , swamps, bogs, and marshes are all differing kinds of wetlands defined often by their sediments and how much they rise and fall.
Reality check tech is full of Goofuses. I've always understood the oceans and seas as being different but in a pretty vague way; a sea is smaller than an ocean, but I think might also be part of it. Consider the yellow sea. Now I'm confused about the Adriatic Sea, because that I guess could be considered part of the Mediterranean sea, but the Mediterranean is so enclosed that it doesn't make sense to call it part of the Atlantic Ocean.

Really, where is there to go in an aquifer? Gollum's island?

What is the Bay of Fundy, in your estimation?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Reality check tech is full of Goofuses. I've always understood the oceans and seas as being different but in a pretty vague way; a sea is smaller than an ocean, but I think might also be part of it. Consider the yellow sea. Now I'm confused about the Adriatic Sea, because that I guess could be considered part of the Mediterranean sea, but the Mediterranean is so enclosed that it doesn't make sense to call it part of the Atlantic Ocean.

Really, where is there to go in an aquifer? Gollum's island?

What is the Bay of Fundy, in your estimation?
Never understood the Mediterranean sea having both the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Adriatic Sea off Italy then the two seas off the coast of Spain. Just be the gulf of whatever.

I think The Bay of Fundy stands out because it has ridiculous tides due to its funnel shape. But it's part of the larger Gulf of Maine, which I have no issue with as "gulf" is part of a sea or ocean. I still think that Georgian Bay, which is part of Lake Huron, should be a Great Lake on its own. We boated across it - it's huge.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Never understood the Mediterranean sea having both the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Adriatic Sea off Italy then the two seas off the coast of Spain. Just be the gulf of whatever.

I think The Bay of Fundy stands out because it has ridiculous tides due to its funnel shape. But it's part of the larger Gulf of Maine, which I have no issue with as "gulf" is part of a sea or ocean. I still think that Georgian Bay, which is part of Lake Huron, should be a Great Lake on its own. We boated across it - it's huge.
I would guess that the seas within a sea are the product of the traditions of the countries they adjoin (or at least the ones with more influence in the English speaking world). I'd imagine in ancient times they didn't know quite as much about the broader Mediterranean sea and just conceived of the Adriatic sea, for example, as this large, significant thing. Perhaps they retained that ever since, even as they began to explore more of the Mediterranean (which the Greeks were doing pretty early on). The Mediterranean is unique in terms of seas and it's more like a small ocean between continents.

I mentioned the Bay of Fundy more or less because I think it's cool. The word "gulf" has a nice sound to it. It implies either vastness or a wonderfully mellow summery expanse of water; I'm sure the latter is entirely due to what the Gulf of Mexico conjures in my head. My point is that a gulf is something to visit, something to see, more than an actual sea.

I am sure you are telling the truth about the Georgian Bay, but I would never expect that based on the map.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

The main reason why they are referred to as "great lakes" should be in the chemical composition. While the second argument is their clear elevation above global sea level. The third is that that they don't have sea like connection to the global oceans, since they are connected with them by a river.

So when you draw the bottom line they fit more of a lake profile than the sea profile. Therefore just as the name suggests: these are just quite large lakes.
Although if you are just average dude that want's to have fun you can pretend that this is sea.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The main reason why they are referred to as "great lakes" should be in the chemical composition. While the second argument is their clear elevation above global sea level. The third is that that they don't have sea like connection to the global oceans, since they are connected with them by a river.

So when you draw the bottom line they fit more of a lake profile than the sea profile. Therefore just as the name suggests: these are just quite large lakes.
Although if you are just average dude that want's to have fun you can pretend that this is sea.
But we also have a Great Salt Lake. The real question bothering me is how we can have something that is both salty and a lake. The existence of this implies that chemical composition is unrelated to whether something is a lake or sea.

The Cat

Staff member
Almost anybody knows the difference between a lake and a sea. However, when asked about the true nature of other seas like the Caspian Sea, people will already have second thoughts. Yes, the confusion sets in when identifying some bodies of water which are called seas but are actually lakes. An example of which is the very popular Dead Sea which happens to be the lowest level lake in the world, not to mention one of the saltiest there is. So how come the Dead Sea is a lake and not a sea?

First, a lake is an inland water body. This means that it is surrounded by land. The body of water is usually moderate to big in size with the water surface being exposed towards the atmosphere. Thus, most lakes in the world have a surface area of below 100 sq. mi. although there are dozens of other lakes that even spans to more than 1,500 sq. mi. in area. With regard to depth, the majority of lakes are shallower than the seas.

As mentioned, the confusion sets in because there are some lakes that are named as seas. Aside from the Dead Sea, the Caspian Sea is another lake that is called sea. It is treated by many as a sea because of its size. This lake is so huge that from whatever angle you’ll try to look at, it would seem as if you’re looking at a long stretch of shore. This is because the Caspian Sea is the biggest or largest lake in the world. It is bordered by several countries including Iran and Southern Russia. Another lake that is called a sea is the Aral Sea.

On the contrary, seas are different from lakes because they are not enclosed by land. They have a relatively bigger volume of water and are usually connected to the wide open ocean. Seas are undoubtedly deeper as compared to lakes. It is a continuous stretch of salt water. There’s an exemption to this definition however because a sea can also be a landlocked (like a lake) immense body of saline (salty) water which doesn’t have an outlet towards an ocean. This definition can best be applied to the case of the Caspian Sea.

Overall:

Lakes are shallower than the seas

Lakes are enclosed by a body of land.

With regard to the volume of water, lakes can be small, moderate to big in size whereas seas are often always a lot bigger in size.

Lakes can either be salt water or fresh water while seas are always salt water in nature.