• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge & Soirée

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Greetings, all! :hi:

For those new to this, the idea of this thread is to offer encouragement and incentive to exercise. There is a contest portion that starts on Wednesady, Aug 31st, and will go until only one person remains or we make it 6 months.

Any user participating in the exercise challenge portion will get to have green usernames for the duration of their involvement, which shall change back to the normal color if the participant falls out of or leaves the contest for any reason.

You don't have to partake of the contest portion - feel free to join in just for fun at any time!

Finally, the rules. The spirit of the law is preferred vs. the letter, but we do need something.

Rules for the 6 Month/Last Man Standing Contest
1. The contest runs 8/31/11 to 2/29/12, or until there is only 1 remaining participant.

2. Share your exercise goals with us before the contest begins, and:
  • Have a goal(s) that is both reasonable and challenging to you on some level.
3. Report your exercising one of two ways:
  • At the end of the week, post what you did for the week. Each week begins on Monday, so please submit by Wednesday at the latest.
  • After exercising, make a quick post stating what you did. For example: "Hey, I just used the treadmill for 30 minutes."
4. As mentioned previously, there will be a prize, or prizes, but not one worth cheating for*. Aside from the obvious bonus of those involved gaining the love adoration bacon of the entire forum.

5. There will be allowance for vacations, injuries, etc, where exercise is not possible. Prior notification for vacations and notification of injuries and sickness, with a speedy return to the program will be fine.

6. Each person will have 13 cheat days. You lose a cheat based on the number of days you are short of your weekly goals. Example: if your goal is 4 days of cardio per week, and you only exercise twice, you lose 2 cheat days. If a cheat day is used, please make a note of it in the thread.

7. Changing exercise goals is allowed, assuming it consists of exercise. Just post the modifications here.

Participation Option: This is for those who wish to join late or are unable to stick with the stricter schedule but find the thread to be motivating. All who take part in this thread (contestants or not) will have green usernames, it is simply a distinction of whether one is a member of the competition or not. Disqualifying oneself for the prize doesn't mean you can't participate. Please do make a specific note when you post your goals if ye do not wish to be a part of the competition.

Additional information in regards to healthy foodstuffs and any discussions regarding such can be found in the 2011 Exercise Challenge: Healthy Eating & Recipes =D thread.
Please feel free to offer suggestions, questions, or comments. :happy:

Also, please note that this OP will be modified if/when needed updates and alterations become apparent.

*The prize will most likely involve an online gift card to one's site of choice (to avoid any conflicts of privacy regarding users' personal information) should there be a singular winner, and something slightly different if there are multiple winners. Bacon? Cake.

Last edited:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:D I'm in, of course.. lemme think for a bit to get some very specific goals written up. What are you going to do with the next jackass that posts that their workout will consist of standing up from their chair once a week?

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
I want to participate. This is the heaviest I've ever been and I don't exercise at all right now, soooo anything would be an improvement on that. I'll have to start out slow in the beginning, but I'll think of something I can do. :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just want a green username!

I'm getting ready to restart my workout anyway.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
If I play will my username turn blue-green (hee, yes I already know the answer to that)

How do you win? By working out every day? Everyone's goals will be different.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

ivandrago-o.gif

I MUST BREAK YOU

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
rocky4-2-760821.jpg

^^That means I won.

:D

Must suck to be a Russian pumped up on steroids and unknown to you, your wife is actually not Russian AND she was married to me first! Hwahwahwa.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well you already know I'm ridiculously in :tongue:.
I'm thinking.. Cardio/Zumba 4x per week. Yoga/Pilates 1x per week. At least 70 pushups per week.

Need to gauge if I'll be able to tack on anything else after my Fall semester starts up. Hope-hope.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm in. I just need to determine my goals first. Now that this is a competition, I don't think I can back down.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I'm in!

CrossFit 3x a week for me. :solidarity:

(+ green smoothies, but I'm not including them in my goals because I'm still experimenting with them.)

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
Great to hear from ye, everyone. :happy:

:D I'm in, of course.. lemme think for a bit to get some very specific goals written up. What are you going to do with the next jackass that posts that their workout will consist of standing up from their chair once a week?

Well, if they want to gain weight (mostly in the form of fat), this could actually be a viable exercise plan! :happy2:

But seriously: a common sense addendum to the rules which shouldn't need to be stated but will anyway because ye're a sarcastic goof...

2. Share your exercise goals with us before the contest begins.
  • Have a goal(s) that is both reasonable and challenging to you on some level.

If I play will my username turn blue-green (hee, yes I already know the answer to that)

...I have no idea what colour yours will turn. I'm guessing straight green, since what colour a username is most likely is a specific setting that doesn't overlap with but would instead cancel out automated processes that may be present when one becomes a moderator/admin? :alttongue:

You win by consistently pursuing your goal (whatever that may be) till the end, and whether or not ye are the only person will simply affect the distribution/type of prize. Choosing a particular type of goal is up to you, but as this contest revolves around duration of time, that may help decide what exactly your target is for the end of this six months.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to get back up to where I used to be, and do 75 push-ups at a time. I also used to do it twice a day, 5 times a week, so I did that 10 times a week. With work any everything, I doubt I will get back to that, but getting up to 5 times a week would be nice.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I want to participate. This is the heaviest I've ever been and I don't exercise at all right now, soooo anything would be an improvement on that. I'll have to start out slow in the beginning, but I'll think of something I can do. :)
Yeah... me too. :(
I haven't exercised at all since January... mostly because I always have to vacuum the living room floor before I do it.

Umm... I'm going to start at once a week for the first 4 weeks.
Then I will re-evaluate as to whether I think I can do twice a week.
I can't make more of a commitment right now. My life is in shambles and I am barely living one hour at a time.
I guess I will say Saturday. I have such a hard time exercising on days that I work.

For the record, I weigh 159.5 and I am 5' 1".
My goal is 135.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm definitely doing this, and it's going to be interesting to see what it's like on the other side of the contest. I'll come up with my goals before the contest begins. Gotta deal with the hurricane first.

Awesome that you were able to get the green user names, though! That's going to be a great addition.

I'll PM you things that came up when I was doing this that you may wish to address now, but a couple of quick thoughts:

1. For people vying or the cash money prize, the rules are great. If you use your 10 cheat days, you lose the prize.
2. I suggest that there should be a "participation" option for people that A) want to join late or B) can't stick with the stricter schedule, but find the thread to be motivating. Like, keep the green user names for all participants (say, someone that posts once a week with a 1 week grace period), but keep a separate list for people who are still vying for the prize. Disqualifying for the prize doesn't mean you can't participate.

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
I'll PM you things that came up when I was doing this that you may wish to address now, but a couple of quick thoughts:

1. For people vying or the cash money prize, the rules are great. If you use your 10 cheat days, you lose the prize.
2. I suggest that there should be a "participation" option for people that A) want to join late or B) can't stick with the stricter schedule, but find the thread to be motivating. Like, keep the green user names for all participants (say, someone that posts once a week with a 1 week grace period), but keep a separate list for people who are still vying for the prize. Disqualifying for the prize doesn't mean you can't participate.

To 1.: Yes, that is how it will work.

To 2.: That was the original intent, and I didn't specify quite enough in the OP. I will update it now. Thank you. :)

gromit

likes this
Ok I think I'd like to do it now with Udog's suggestions. My goals:
  • Work out my core (back, abs, sides) at least 3x per week.
  • No white bread/pasta/rice/carbs for meals or snacks. One small treat (sweet or savory) after dinner.
  • Continue with other exercises as normal - hiking/climbing, biking, running, stairs, etc.

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
I'm so excited. I made an account on sparkpeople. I've set up strength and cardio programs, goal of at least 1 hour exercise per day, 5 days a week. I want to lose 45 lbs. :pumpyouup:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=6276]Zoom[/MENTION], what will you do if more than one person makes it to the end?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay everyone, I'm going to THROW DOWN THE GAUNTLET. It's so serious that the seriousness can only be conveyed in ALL CAPS. That's SERIOUS. Seriously.

I'm going to take before pictures.
At the end of six months, I'm going to take after pictures.

I will post these before and after pictures in the lounge no matter what. Even if I gain 5 pounds, I will be obligated to post the before and after pictures. Every time I feel like slacking too much, I will remember this challenge and use it to stay on track.

Is there anyone else that is a bad enough dude to save the president join me?