• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What exercises do you do?

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, I know. It is good, but if you're not prepared for it, it can be a bit of a surprise.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
well I caved and joined a gym... I went for the first time today and i ran oh did I run and oh did I love it *sigh*

I can run for about 5mins or so before the pain hits my shins but it's so nice yup so nice..... YAY cardio......
Good for you! :)

Word of advice, although running can give you such a rush of adrenaline and get those endorphins going it cal also wreck your shins, knees and possibly your feet. Listen to your body and if it says everything is ok then good. If your shins splint don't get better within a week stop running. Ok just my opinion as I wouldn't want to hear that you're limping around in pain! :)

FYI- The Elliptical offers a great workout without damaging any body parts. ;)

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I was diagnoses with flat feet at the age of 13 when I first developed shin splints and knee problems *sigh* I have runners especially designed for people with my problem.

THANKS for the concern.

This week I have slowed the cardio down to a fat burn level and have been doing pilates, and yoga and a power train class. It's been great.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Bit of martial arts - not high level or anything, just a bit of wing chun and tai chi now and then; hiking (very long distances, quite often over very challenging terrain). I used to swim a lot, but I can't do that any more for um, physical reasons. I love to go sailing, which is actually quite a bit of a physical workout on a proper sailboat without engine assistance.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yesterday:

Front squat 3*20
Back squat 3*20
Sumo deadlift 3*20
Romanian deadlift 3*20

Today I'm...hurting. A lot.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I purchased a knockoff of those "Total Gym" home workout machines (knockoff link here, only available online) and I've been using an 18-step program designed especially for those kinds of machines-

Dan Isaacson's Body Makover (Total Gym)

It works pretty well for me since it works out all the major muscle groups. I feel physically 'balanced' the day after I've done the exercise. I also admire the compactness and efficiency of the machine, it uses your own body weight as the weight load.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I went to the gym yesterday and ran on the treadmill for about half of the time I was on the treadmill. Then tried the elliptical and recumbent bike. 1hr 20mins of cardio

R

RDF

Good for you! :)

Word of advice, although running can give you such a rush of adrenaline and get those endorphins going it cal also wreck your shins, knees and possibly your feet. Listen to your body and if it says everything is ok then good. If your shins splint don't get better within a week stop running. Ok just my opinion as I wouldn't want to hear that you're limping around in pain! :)

FYI- The Elliptical offers a great workout without damaging any body parts. ;)

Just a couple notes on shin splints.

Many years ago I had bad shin splints for a year or more. I was running pretty hard and didn't want to take a break from it. I got substantial alleviation by doing a couple things.

1) Stretching hamstrings and calf muscles thoroughly before running. The stretching seemed to give my lower legs more "bounce" and fluidity so that the shock from the footfall was absorbed by the muscles and tendons and not transmitted directly to the painful area. I learned this trick from other runners who solved shin split problems the same way, and I've passed it on to other runners who were helped by it.

The best stretch for this seems to be: I stand facing a wall with my toes three feet from the wall, then lean forward so that I'm leaning on the wall with my elbows. Bringing one foot forward and leaving one foot still in its original place, I support myself partially on the forward foot and roll back and forth on the back foot to stretch the tendons and muscles along the back of that leg thoroughly, up and down the entire length of the back of the leg. Switch feet and repeat.

I also supplement the above stretch by standing straight-legged and touching my hands to the ground; and also doing deep knee bends while leaning forward and supporting part of my weight with my hands on the floor (so I don't burn out my knees with that exercise).

The stretching is the single biggest thing that seems to provide some alleviation; but the following idea helps somewhat too:

2) In my own case, shin splints seemed to be aggravated when I had a jogging pace with a short gait and lots of bouncy, up-and-down vertical motion and a footfall on the forward part of my foot (midsection-to-ball of my foot). I have a big frame (260 pounds), and all that vertical bouncing tended to put a lot of stress on my lower leg and foot muscles over the course of a long run. So it seemed to help out when I shifted to a faster running pace with a longer, rolling, horizontal gait and a footfall on the back part of my foot (midsection-to-heel of my foot). The latter gait shifts my posture back a bit and takes the shock of the landing away from the muscles and tendons and the front of the leg and shifts it more directly into my heel and the stronger back side of the legs. The lower, more horizontal movement reduces the shock, then I just make sure to run on soft surfaces like dirt or a treadmill and use running shoes with lots of heel cushioning so I don't tear up my knees.

I'll just note that alleviation of the shin splints wasn't immediate, since I had a pretty bad case of it and I continued a heavy running schedule even as I started stretching more and changing my gait. But the difference was noticeable within a week or two, and after a couple months the shin splints disappeared for good.

If the shin splints are particularly stubborn, there's always the next step:

3) Switching up workout routines always helps to alleviate a standing injury or irritation. I used to just run all the time. But nowadays as I get older I switch off from one day to the next between running and stairs. Stairs are a great replacement for a run because they are just as much of a cardio workout (or more), and they strengthen the knees and provide some other complementary support toward running strength.

That's just my personal experience on the shin splints. I'm not an expert though. YMMV.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was envisioning some hit man training program combining an obstacle course with ambush-style martial art matches and on-the-run target shooting.

That would be awesome. Sounds like the Krav Maga episode of Human Weapon.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
ah alright I have done that type of training before.... meh no biggie!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a workout regiment that I do five days of the week.

fifty sit-ups and fifty stomach crunches together.
One-hundred and fifty push-ups.
Sixty leg lifts on each leg.
And I also do a relatively random number of pull-ups and flexes on a bar(let's say about eight pull-ups and twenty flexes on average).