• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What exercises do you do?

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Just trying to shield the eyes of the innocent. :D

I'm thinking more like a tarp. Is one allowed into the pool wearing a tarp?

Pilates! I hadn't considered it because I thought it was too much like aerobics for my joints to endure. But now I'll have to give it a look-see! Thanks for the suggestion, chica. :)

Oh, tai chi is a very low impact and great workout. A lot of energy is expended when it is done right. Swimming, walking and pilates are all excellent low impact workouts.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
I practice martial arts, some kickboxing and lots of stretches to keep my flexibility. I try to do it every day for about an hour and a half, but usually manage it only three-four times a week. I walk about half an hour every day, and when the weather's good I swim a lot.

During vacations, I like to go trekking, climbing, and indulge in some adventure sports. It makes my fitness programme throughout the year totally worth it. :)

And yeah, I get depressed if I have to without exercise for more than two days at a stretch. Makes me feel sad, slow and sluggish. I think I'm addicted to that endorphin rush...

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
I walk to school, in school (classes), and from school to home three times, the first trip to school, lunch (home) and the trip home from school.

My school is 18 meters away from my house.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey this thread resurrected. I'll update it:

I don't really do "exercises" (sooo boring), but I do
-bike 12 or 24 km every weekday, depending how lazy I feel (to/from work)
-soccer once a week (where I usually push myself until I can't push anymore)
-hour or two of volleyball once a week, and often for half a day on the weekend (not really physical, but so fun!)
-pilates for 1/2 hour once or twice a week at work
-long nocturnal walks occasionally, when I need to get out
-and I walk or bike pretty much anywhere I go in the city

And I am probably going to start martial arts in the fall if I can justify the price to myself. And maybe yoga or pilates too, to replace the pilates at my work. Maybe rockclimbing too. Or tennis or squash. I'm back in school in the fall, so I won't be biking much and I want to be more active, I'm always so much happier when I'm doing stuff.

now: kung fu, volleyball, squash each once a week. Sadly that's it until may, since my other 2 volleyball teams + soccer are over for the semester.

may-aug: soccer, squash and kung fu each once a week. aikido and volleyball each twice a week. beach volleyball hopefully most sundays, weather allowing. and biking to work a whole 15 minutes each way, if that counts.

:party2: Looking forward to it.

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
heavy lifting, the big three: squat, deadlift & benchpress...
Running & cycling

alicia91

The Firm exercise DVDs (from the infomercial) which is a mix of weights, floor cardio and step-aerobics and going to the gym for a cardio-toning class 3 times per week. Sometimes I also do a little Pilates or Yoga.

I'm really like step-aerobics, that would be my favorite. I'm not into group sports or anything competitive.

dga

MBTI Type
ENTP
since the beginning of winter, 3 days a week i do 3 sets of pushups, bicep curls, and situps. I've always been skinny, and will always be slim, but it is amazing what this has done for me. Otherwise, I ride a bike everywhere, and dance a lot. My job requires working with heavy boxes and cables.

oh, and sex is great exercise.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
^colmena, nice exercises... im liking calistenics much better than freeweights

my regimine has changed a bit... i am very proud of myself getting past my previous running distance ceiling, ive been more consistent with taking vitamin supplements and my knees feel better, no more stopping in the middle of my runs :yay:

even days of the month: 30 minutes@8mph, upper body calistenics
odd days of the month: 60 minutes@8mph

1 day off per week. i reached my verticle distance climb rate benchmark, so i am transitioning from that and snowboarding to rock climbing for the summer

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
^colmena, nice exercises... im liking calistenics much better than freeweights

Calisthenics make much more sense to me; using the body's strength alone to add muscle. It also makes more sense in terms of it being progressive and balanced. (athletic) Martial artists and gymnasts are the fittest people in the world, and I have a similar build now.

My picture above was taken during a period of freeweight and flexibility training. It's no longer an ideal.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
God, how do you still find the energy to do all this typing?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Calisthenics make much more sense to me; using the body's strength alone to add muscle. It also makes more sense in terms of it being progressive and balanced. (athletic) Martial artists and gymnasts are the fittest people in the world, and I have a similar build now.

my thinking exactly. as they say, freeweights are better than machine weights because they develop muscles in a 3-D plane, which better replicates their real use... i got to thinking, if one really must develop muscle for an activity outside of just doing that activity itself, why not use the body itself for weight?

studies have shown that lifting weights does very little for athelete performance, and i would assume this applies to most things except those involving other than self locomotion, such as a lineman in football. the body has far more than enough weight to develop muscle strength and endurance, and it replicates the natural movement better than weight lifting, so as you say, much more balance.

really, though, it seems like most people do strength training for the sake of vanity. as i say, lifting a lot of weight is pretty much only good for... lifting a lot of weight. i focus on improving endurance while maintaining flexibility... big muscles only slow you down and i already weigh more than i enjoy having to lug around everywhere. :doh:

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Martial Arts/Weapons practice, I'm active everyday, but it can't be much because I'm just skinny. I hope to get my bike fixed soon. And I'll start doing push ups/sit ups everyday again. I was able to handle many back in the fall. Should be able to now, I hope..

MBTI Type
INxJ
I have a gym membership, but only go a couple times a week. I also take ballet, tennis, and fencing -- on rotation.

MBTI Type
ENTP
... yoga (meaning asanas and pranayama... plus dharana or concentration - only real yogis can meditate and I'm not there yet; I try to follow the moral precepts but those are tough)

... running

... crunches-bellyflops-pushups for an hour per day

that's all I need.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Each day when I get home from work, I do 30 jumping jacks, 60 arm rolls, 10 pushups, 15 crunches, and 15 leg lifts. Hopefully as I get better, I will add more, but this works for me now as a quick home workout. I also walk as often as I get the opportunity on lunch hours and other breaks, try to park far away from buildings so I have to walk, I live in an upstairs apartment, and it's a two-story, so I go up and down stairs at least a few times a day. I was walking for an extended time twice a day earlier this year, but it so frickin hot right now that I haven't been doing much of that lately.

alicia91

Today I started a Cardio Kickboxing class at the gym. OMG, I thought I was in better shape than I obviously am. :shock:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Since the weather has warmed up, my husband and I take a 30 minute walk most evenings.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
studies have shown that lifting weights does very little for athelete performance, and i would assume this applies to most things except those involving other than self locomotion

Can you link me these studies?