User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Occasionally I walk around a particular open, circular set of paths in my home 100 times, or just do 10 sit-ups. I don't do this consistently though. I'm bad at exercise.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Last edited by alcea rosea; 02-12-2008 at 10:47 AM.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sdalek View Post
    I've found Pilates, particularly the 100's to be a good start to the day,

Along with push-ups, side-to-side rib-cage/torso slides, and modified hip-lifts (or snaps - good for strengthening and building support for the knees, too) (the last two learned from my SO from her belly-dance days) to give the core a good warm up for the day. I've taken up walking, about 30 minutes a day or as much as possible. All this has been to get my blood cholesterol under control, too.

What do you like to do?
    Ahh... bellydancing! I love it! I also love walking and pilates! I hate lunges, but I do it to keep my backside strong *wink*
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    GONE

Having a dog is good excercise, especially if that dog is a hyperactive puppy. We went to the dog park yesterday and it was more walking at one time than I've done all month... ^_^

The dog got even more exercise so mission accomplished!

MBTI
    infp

I like to walk when I can. In the summer I go running maybe 4 nights a week for however long I feel like it (which is usually about 20 minutes). I do push-ups fairly often, but not a whole lot, usually 15 push-ups twice a day five days a week and sometimes more or sometimes less on weekends. I also do sit-ups/crunches (don't know what the difference is) as frequently as push-ups except I generally do 30-40 in a set.

I'd like to maybe expand this a bit, but I don't want to spend any money or anything. What are some good, basic, free exercises that would work different muscle groups than the exercises I currently do?

I think I'll go do some push-ups and sit ups right now, actually

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I could use some input here - usually I ride my exercise bike, or go for a long walk, but I have spinal arthritis, and am in the middle of a bad flare, so both of those venues are out currently. Any suggestions of exercise that won't put stress on my lower back and hip joints?

MBTI
    INTJ

Does swimming stress it much for you? It's traditionally the lowest impact cardio along with biking and the elliptical.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Does swimming stress it much for you? It's traditionally the lowest impact cardio along with biking and the elliptical.
    I had considered that, but then there's the whole " I'm wearing a bathing suit so now everyone must die" factor. I suspect I'll have to get over it, though. I actually enjoy exercise, and my rheumatologist told me I had to keep moving, so swimming may be a solution.

MBTI
    GONE

^^ You is so modest.

I have seen people at the pool wearing non-swimsuits or bodysuits for more coverage. I have also seen people wearing t-shirts in the water (which I wouldn't recommend for safety reasons) but whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Pilates might help as well as it is meant to be therapeutic/restorative. Since you have arthritis, I would suggest getting a consultation from a teacher and then practicing on your own.

Pilates can be more expensive than joining a gym, but community centers and local colleges are good places to take it up. I took an intro mat class at a community center, all my classmates were grandmas (that's what I get for taking a weekday mid-day class) so it was very slow paced with lots of time for questions.

Same for Tai Chi.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    ^^ You is so modest.
    Just trying to shield the eyes of the innocent.

I have seen people at the pool wearing non-swimsuits or bodysuits for more coverage. I have also seen people wearing t-shirts in the water (which I wouldn't recommend for safety reasons) but whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    I'm thinking more like a tarp. Is one allowed into the pool wearing a tarp?

Pilates might help as well as it is meant to be therapeutic/restorative. Since you have arthritis, I would suggest getting a consultation from a teacher and then practicing on your own.

Pilates can be more expensive than joining a gym, but community centers and local colleges are good places to take it up. I took an intro mat class at a community center, all my classmates were grandmas (that's what I get for taking a weekday mid-day class) so it was very slow paced with lots of time for questions.

Same for Tai Chi.
    Pilates! I hadn't considered it because I thought it was too much like aerobics for my joints to endure. But now I'll have to give it a look-see! Thanks for the suggestion, chica.