User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I used to ride my bike everywhere to get around.
    Then I screwed up my knee, & had to get surgery. Loaned the bike to an overweight friend. She moved & neglected to return it.
    Didn't have a consistent workout routine for quite awhile, though I wanted one. Not enough of a morning person to get up extra early.

Worked a LOT and went to school. Constantly on my feet, lifting boxes and crates for 8-10hrs a day [often, unfortunately, without breaks] non-stop will work wonders. I was very lean, and my muscles somewhat defined. However, not having breaks also meant very little time to actually eat food, so eventually I just looked sickly. Living off free coffee and water. Creepy part of that was, all my customers kept telling me I could be a model.

I'm only 23 and on the fast-track to osteoporosis. How attractive. I went cliff-jumping w/a friend last summer. Hurled myself off a 40-50ft cliff into water. No one ever gets hurt. I've done it before. This time I sustained a compression fracture to one of my vertebrae [superior endplate of the 7th thoracic vertebral body]. Apparently my bones were so weakened, that the verticalimpact of hitting water [well, pretty hard], was enough to literally crush one of my vertebrae. Didn't know I'd broken anything for a month [you're always a tad sore after a day of rock climbing and jumping anyway..]

My point in bringing that up, is, that it hasn't healed properly. I've had a lot of difficulty trying to strengthen my body with this injury, unfortunately. I'm still in a fairly low weight range for my height, and probably don't eat often enough. [5'9" and fluctuate between 120-125lbs] I'm constantly busy, and sort of inadvertently learned how to "tune out" hunger from back when I worked 65hrs a week on avg w/school [sleep was nonexistant.. it was hell].. so a day will go by and I'll only realize that night when I have a stomach ache that I hadn't eaten since morning.

Yeah.. all of that.. seems to gum up any plans I may have in the works for being more healthy overall, and getting into better physical condition.

::Sigh:: I miss my bicycle.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENFj

^ Well that sucks, anyways has anyone ever hurt their knees by simply riding a bike (not falling or anything)? I seem to some how managed to do that and I was with knee pain for almost a week and a half. Now every time I do any sort of excersice that includes my right knee (like squats for exemple) my knee starts to hurt a little and feels kind of weird for a few days. Any ideas?
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Sounds like a cartilage issue. I have something similar in my shoulder, and my right knee also locks up if I torque it too hard. You could try some stretching, but that might only relieve some stress. If you go for heavy lifting or training, you may need it to get fixed.

MBTI
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Sounds like a cartilage issue. I have something similar in my shoulder, and my right knee also locks up if I torque it too hard. You could try some stretching, but that might only relieve some stress. If you go for heavy lifting or training, you may need it to get fixed.
    Well that is discouraging. I have some similar issue with the top my right index finguer, it kind of cracks when I bend it and it hurts and is annoying the hell out of me. I should ask my doctor.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

My right knee is extremely inflexible, cracks when I bend it, etc. While I am able to run effectively [I'd do a 5 mile run and it would be fine] under heavy lifting stress like a squat, it just isn't strong/stable enough to handle crazy weights. Same with my shoulder, I have the power to lift beyond a 150 bench press, but my shoulder isn't stable enough to control the weight through the motion.

Should definitely check it out if you have the insurance.

MBTI
    ENFj

Well I can get through the workout but after wards it kicks my ass, this started to happen after I started doing more bicycle excersices. I actually was able to do reps of 540 lbs with my legs and nothing would go wrong and now this. Well, I will have to ask my doctor and I am sure I am going to get some halfassed answer.:rolli:
    ENFJ 3W4

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by The Third Rider View Post
    ^ Well that sucks, anyways has anyone ever hurt their knees by simply riding a bike (not falling or anything)? I seem to some how managed to do that and I was with knee pain for almost a week and a half. Now every time I do any sort of excersice that includes my right knee (like squats for exemple) my knee starts to hurt a little and feels kind of weird for a few days. Any ideas?
    Take your bike to a bike shop and make sure the seat is at the proper height so your knees don't lock on the downstroke. When you do squats, don't do them too deeply and make sure your weight is distributed properly. Don't torque your knee when you're putting pressure on it.

But yeah, you should get it checked out. (I need to do the same.)

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

distance running (and all of the cross training required) , I'm on the tennis team, the elliptical machine has been friendly to my injured back, lots and lots of core work to prevent another back injury, cycling... there's a really scenic bike trail near my house that allows for long rides... i used to ride 120 miles in a weekend, when it gets warmer i swim laps and attempt the cold lake water, hiking, anything and everything really, i do miss organized sports from high school.. but every once in awhile basketball is an option.

I do have a bad habit of cycling while listening to my ipod.
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

LII

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Ideally I'll be the woman

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Has anyone tried kite boarding?? I think that would be really fun.
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

LII

Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Ideally I'll be the woman

MBTI
    INTP

I need to get back to it. This east coast weather is really a killer, it destroys my motivation. I love when it's nice out and I can just play pick up games, run (sprint), play catch and just dick around. I have a lot more motivation to work out at the gym as well. Even at my house with pull ups, dips, and weighted push ups. I love those! I have pretty genetically weak shoulders. The joint is very loose in there so I find the bodyweight excercises are golden for it. I cheat a bit and add a little weight but it is still a lot more natural and helps with the flexibility of those joints.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.