User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

God, how do you still find the energy to do all this typing?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Calisthenics make much more sense to me; using the body's strength alone to add muscle. It also makes more sense in terms of it being progressive and balanced. (athletic) Martial artists and gymnasts are the fittest people in the world, and I have a similar build now.
    my thinking exactly. as they say, freeweights are better than machine weights because they develop muscles in a 3-D plane, which better replicates their real use... i got to thinking, if one really must develop muscle for an activity outside of just doing that activity itself, why not use the body itself for weight?

studies have shown that lifting weights does very little for athelete performance, and i would assume this applies to most things except those involving other than self locomotion, such as a lineman in football. the body has far more than enough weight to develop muscle strength and endurance, and it replicates the natural movement better than weight lifting, so as you say, much more balance.

really, though, it seems like most people do strength training for the sake of vanity. as i say, lifting a lot of weight is pretty much only good for... lifting a lot of weight. i focus on improving endurance while maintaining flexibility... big muscles only slow you down and i already weigh more than i enjoy having to lug around everywhere.

MBTI
    INTJ

Martial Arts/Weapons practice, I'm active everyday, but it can't be much because I'm just skinny. I hope to get my bike fixed soon. And I'll start doing push ups/sit ups everyday again. I was able to handle many back in the fall. Should be able to now, I hope..
    What a waste of life..

MBTI
    INxJ

I have a gym membership, but only go a couple times a week. I also take ballet, tennis, and fencing -- on rotation.

MBTI
    ENTP

... yoga (meaning asanas and pranayama... plus dharana or concentration - only real yogis can meditate and I'm not there yet; I try to follow the moral precepts but those are tough)

... running

... crunches-bellyflops-pushups for an hour per day

that's all I need.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Each day when I get home from work, I do 30 jumping jacks, 60 arm rolls, 10 pushups, 15 crunches, and 15 leg lifts. Hopefully as I get better, I will add more, but this works for me now as a quick home workout. I also walk as often as I get the opportunity on lunch hours and other breaks, try to park far away from buildings so I have to walk, I live in an upstairs apartment, and it's a two-story, so I go up and down stairs at least a few times a day. I was walking for an extended time twice a day earlier this year, but it so frickin hot right now that I haven't been doing much of that lately.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Today I started a Cardio Kickboxing class at the gym. OMG, I thought I was in better shape than I obviously am.

MBTI
    epyT

Various yoga poses and calisthenics.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Since the weather has warmed up, my husband and I take a 30 minute walk most evenings.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    studies have shown that lifting weights does very little for athelete performance, and i would assume this applies to most things except those involving other than self locomotion
    Can you link me these studies?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp