• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overcoming laziness, lack of motivation

Lark

Can anyone talk about how they overcome laziness or lack of motivation?

At the moment I have to get an e-mail sent which I'm kind of foot dragging about, its going to spark of some difficulty and argument and require some effort to sort out beyond it.

Also, I've not been to the gym today.

I dont know if its got to do with my diabetes or the stress and anxiety I've been experiencing lately but I find it harder to get things done some days than I did, other days I'm fine, I can get loads of things done and I really amaze myself but the days when I feel a real lethargy it's very hard to shake, I dont know its entirely a trick of the mind or something.

Thought?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think physical stuff saps your will as well as speeds up decision fatigue. I have found when I'm feeling better, things that normally are difficult to make myself get to don't seem insurmountable anymore.

Sometimes it's worth considering whether avoidance is putting off a decision that you are reluctant to make, or if there's an underlying emotional reason that could be addressed.

"There's a JP for that."

But, in all seriousness we all have our down days. It depends on your characteristics of conscientiousness, I think. Like if I take the day off, and I'm laying about watching GOT, I feel incredibly guilty for not doing anything useful. That's your cortisol talking.

Exercise, my friend. Get out and walk it off.

#Firstworldproblems

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I find going outside helps, there's usually something needing to be done, that lets me clear my head, then I can get back to business with a more active mindset...

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I vaguely remember Gordon Neufeld said something interesting in his course Science of Emotions.

Emotions basically act as fuel for motivation. When we're aware of what our emotions are, then we're closer to knowing our own motivations. But when there's pressure to not accept or to repress our emotions (which happens because acknowledging them somehow severs an important connection we feel to another/others), they fuel unconscious motivations and manifest in unwanted behavior (or at least, behavior that ideally wouldn't otherwise happen). But a big part of his theory is that emotions are the catalyst for any movement or action in people - all movement or action in/from an individual can be traced back to an emotion that caused it.

Anyway, I can't remember exactly how he said this, but I think the gist of it is that if there's no motivation, it's because too much emotion is being suppressed?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it's a trick of the mind, I think it's a totally logical outcome from whatever is going on in your work life.

You mentioned that this email you have to send may sow discord, and your anxiety is probably flaring up because of it. No mystery there.

Stress and anxiety, as mentioned by others here, can be reduced through moving around and going for a walk outside. You should also work on being less hard on yourself - there is obviously a lot going on with you in regards to work situations and you are probably feeling a bit caught in between. I'd also look at the fact that you're diabetic and need a little extra R&R because of it. Diabetic people have to watch their stress levels. My family has been affected by Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes, and you guys need more sleep and need to pay attention to the signals your body is sending you.

I'd also consider doing some journaling to vent those feelings and anxieties.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I find going outside helps, there's usually something needing to be done, that lets me clear my head, then I can get back to business with a more active mindset...

Same. Even if I've no chores around the yard or no errand to run, a simple walk around my block or through my neighborhood allows my mind to roam free. Sometimes I need to remove "thought constraints" so that my mind can get some exercise, and then I'm ready to be saddled with structured thinking.

StrawberryBoots

Can anyone talk about how they overcome laziness or lack of motivation?

At the moment I have to get an e-mail sent which I'm kind of foot dragging about, its going to spark of some difficulty and argument and require some effort to sort out beyond it.

Also, I've not been to the gym today.

I dont know if its got to do with my diabetes or the stress and anxiety I've been experiencing lately but I find it harder to get things done some days than I did, other days I'm fine, I can get loads of things done and I really amaze myself but the days when I feel a real lethargy it's very hard to shake, I dont know its entirely a trick of the mind or something.

Thought?

Maybe, your love cup is empty, and you need a hug and a kiss.