12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default Losing my taste for sugar?

I'm kind of surprised by myself, but I know I eat too much junk, and there are times where I have no self-control. Which is sort of all the time. I'm tired. Not so much literally, but maybe emotionally. I don't know if it's something other than me, thinking this, but I want to cut back on a lot of sugar/junk and try and be healthier. Because I feel like I can't do this anymore. And I'm still pretty young, being in my twenties, so why not? I fear the day that it will be too late for me to be better to myself. I try and drink a lot of water and I've started to work out again (about two weeks now, I've been exercising. Don't keep track of me on that.)

I'm just, ugh, over it.
    You don't look out there for God, something in the sky, you look in you.
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    INTJ

Not that it works for everyone, but I follow the ketogenic diet and love it. It's the only way of eating I've found that I not only can easily stick to a diet, but actually feel much better than when I'm not dieting (and I run/workout regularly). My anecdata based on a number of people irl I know that follow/have followed it are also pretty promising as well as an increasing number of studies. This is coming from someone that has absolutely no self-control for sweets/sugar.

reddit.com/r/keto
    reddit.com/r/ketoscience
    Keto - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume
    Likes biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Not that it works for everyone, but I follow the ketogenic diet and love it. It's the only way of eating I've found that I not only can easily stick to a diet, but actually feel much better than when I'm not dieting (and I run/workout regularly). My anecdata based on a number of people irl I know that follow/have followed it are also pretty promising as well as an increasing number of studies. This is coming from someone that has absolutely no self-control for sweets/sugar.

reddit.com/r/keto
    reddit.com/r/ketoscience
    Keto - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    That's very interesting. I've heard of the keto diet and I've heard that it's good, but not sustainable long term. But everyone is different. Good to know I'm not alone in my lack of self-control with sugar; I feel like I'm the only one who eats terribly and everyone else is, like, not awful to themselves.
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

You can start by not buying food that has added sugar if it's not supposed to be a sweet food. Like sugar free bread, peanut butter, etc. You'll have to read the list of ingredients. If you train your body to not expect sugar in savory foods that shouldn't have any, foods with natural sugar like fruit will start to taste as sweet as candy, and candy will taste sickeningly sweet. You can also buy all natural honey and maple syrup and use them as natural sweeteners.

You are going to experience sugar withdrawals and your body is going to feel even more tired and out of whack emotionally and physically during the adjustment period. I think it's best to just do it cold turkey - no desserts, no added sugar, just natural sugar in foods that already have it. You'll have cravings initially but they'll subside as you stick with it. It's not too difficult of a thing to do at all.
    Likes OrangeAppled, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    You can start by not buying food that has added sugar if it's not supposed to be a sweet food. Like sugar free bread, peanut butter, etc. You'll have to read the list of ingredients. If you train your body to not expect sugar in savory foods that shouldn't have any, foods with natural sugar like fruit will start to taste as sweet as candy, and candy will taste sickeningly sweet. You can also buy all natural honey and maple syrup and use them as natural sweeteners.

You are going to experience sugar withdrawals and your body is going to feel even more tired and out of whack emotionally and physically during the adjustment period. I think it's best to just do it cold turkey - no desserts, no added sugar, just natural sugar in foods that already have it. You'll have cravings initially but they'll subside as you stick with it. It's not too difficult of a thing to do at all.
    that's kind of my experience too, especially when you don't eat sugar for awhile. It's kind of amazing to realize how sweet some food is, when you've just been eating "normal" and avoiding sugar-laden foods. It's almost too much, when and if you get a taste again. But there will be an adjustment period where you'd crave sugar for a bit, when you cut way back or out completely.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post

I think I'm going to try that, maybe. Better snacks, more natural things. I'm tempted to try almond butter, we might have some at home already. I just want to make a small change because I know in the long-run, this will help me greatly. I mean, I don't hate junk food, but I'm tired of it and if I can limit it, or find different things (like vegan desserts to make/eat), then that's something. (I've founds loads of recipes on Pinterest.)
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Yeah, that's essentially what I want to do, @Totenkindly; is cut back. I mean, right now I'm aware of how poorly I eat and I kind of.. am not really doing much about it. And I'm tired of that, and I think now is a good time to change that. Acknowledging the issue is the first step...
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    yupp

i honestly thought this thread was gonna be about how you already lost your taste for sugar and lamenting about how you wish you still liked sweet stuff. and I was gonna be like what's the problem? isn't this a good thing?

I guess what others say, though i can give things up but i never lose the taste for them, so hopefully you're not like me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i honestly thought this thread was gonna be about how you already lost your taste for sugar and lamenting about how you wish you still liked sweet stuff. and I was gonna be like what's the problem? isn't this a good thing?

I guess what others say, though i can give things up but i never lose the taste for them, so hopefully you're not like me.
    To me that doesn't sound terrible, because that's like.. a good balance. Unless it's shitty for you, then I'm really sorry. What I'd at least like to do is get more variety in my diet or like, eat differently. Control myself and have real moderation, I guess. I am not allergic to gluten but I don't mind some gluten-free things/vegan things. (I know that's a huge thing because while there are people who literally can't have that stuff, and then people who hop on the trend.. I guess I'm hopping on a trend..)
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteenly View Post
    To me that doesn't sound terrible, because that's like.. a good balance. Unless it's shitty for you, then I'm really sorry. What I'd at least like to do is get more variety in my diet or like, eat differently. Control myself and have real moderation, I guess. I am not allergic to gluten but I don't mind some gluten-free things/vegan things. (I know that's a huge thing because while there are people who literally can't have that stuff, and then people who hop on the trend.. I guess I'm hopping on a trend..)
    well as long as you don't do it all the time then it's fine. I'm very cat like in my eating where i'm able to self regulate naturally pretty well. i just get bored after 2 pieces of pizza
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so