• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Losing my taste for sugar?

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm kind of surprised by myself, but I know I eat too much junk, and there are times where I have no self-control. Which is sort of all the time. I'm tired. Not so much literally, but maybe emotionally. I don't know if it's something other than me, thinking this, but I want to cut back on a lot of sugar/junk and try and be healthier. Because I feel like I can't do this anymore. And I'm still pretty young, being in my twenties, so why not? I fear the day that it will be too late for me to be better to myself. I try and drink a lot of water and I've started to work out again (about two weeks now, I've been exercising. Don't keep track of me on that.)

I'm just, ugh, over it.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Not that it works for everyone, but I follow the ketogenic diet and love it. It's the only way of eating I've found that I not only can easily stick to a diet, but actually feel much better than when I'm not dieting (and I run/workout regularly). My anecdata based on a number of people irl I know that follow/have followed it are also pretty promising as well as an increasing number of studies. This is coming from someone that has absolutely no self-control for sweets/sugar.

reddit.com/r/keto
reddit.com/r/ketoscience
Keto - Bodybuilding.com Forums

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not that it works for everyone, but I follow the ketogenic diet and love it. It's the only way of eating I've found that I not only can easily stick to a diet, but actually feel much better than when I'm not dieting (and I run/workout regularly). My anecdata based on a number of people irl I know that follow/have followed it are also pretty promising as well as an increasing number of studies. This is coming from someone that has absolutely no self-control for sweets/sugar.

reddit.com/r/keto
reddit.com/r/ketoscience

That's very interesting. I've heard of the keto diet and I've heard that it's good, but not sustainable long term. But everyone is different. Good to know I'm not alone in my lack of self-control with sugar; I feel like I'm the only one who eats terribly and everyone else is, like, not awful to themselves.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can start by not buying food that has added sugar if it's not supposed to be a sweet food. Like sugar free bread, peanut butter, etc. You'll have to read the list of ingredients. If you train your body to not expect sugar in savory foods that shouldn't have any, foods with natural sugar like fruit will start to taste as sweet as candy, and candy will taste sickeningly sweet. You can also buy all natural honey and maple syrup and use them as natural sweeteners.

You are going to experience sugar withdrawals and your body is going to feel even more tired and out of whack emotionally and physically during the adjustment period. I think it's best to just do it cold turkey - no desserts, no added sugar, just natural sugar in foods that already have it. You'll have cravings initially but they'll subside as you stick with it. It's not too difficult of a thing to do at all.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can start by not buying food that has added sugar if it's not supposed to be a sweet food. Like sugar free bread, peanut butter, etc. You'll have to read the list of ingredients. If you train your body to not expect sugar in savory foods that shouldn't have any, foods with natural sugar like fruit will start to taste as sweet as candy, and candy will taste sickeningly sweet. You can also buy all natural honey and maple syrup and use them as natural sweeteners.

You are going to experience sugar withdrawals and your body is going to feel even more tired and out of whack emotionally and physically during the adjustment period. I think it's best to just do it cold turkey - no desserts, no added sugar, just natural sugar in foods that already have it. You'll have cravings initially but they'll subside as you stick with it. It's not too difficult of a thing to do at all.

that's kind of my experience too, especially when you don't eat sugar for awhile. It's kind of amazing to realize how sweet some food is, when you've just been eating "normal" and avoiding sugar-laden foods. It's almost too much, when and if you get a taste again. But there will be an adjustment period where you'd crave sugar for a bit, when you cut way back or out completely.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I think I'm going to try that, maybe. Better snacks, more natural things. I'm tempted to try almond butter, we might have some at home already. I just want to make a small change because I know in the long-run, this will help me greatly. I mean, I don't hate junk food, but I'm tired of it and if I can limit it, or find different things (like vegan desserts to make/eat), then that's something. (I've founds loads of recipes on Pinterest.)

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, that's essentially what I want to do, [MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION]; is cut back. I mean, right now I'm aware of how poorly I eat and I kind of.. am not really doing much about it. And I'm tired of that, and I think now is a good time to change that. Acknowledging the issue is the first step...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i honestly thought this thread was gonna be about how you already lost your taste for sugar and lamenting about how you wish you still liked sweet stuff. and I was gonna be like what's the problem? isn't this a good thing?

I guess what others say, though i can give things up but i never lose the taste for them, so hopefully you're not like me.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i honestly thought this thread was gonna be about how you already lost your taste for sugar and lamenting about how you wish you still liked sweet stuff. and I was gonna be like what's the problem? isn't this a good thing?

I guess what others say, though i can give things up but i never lose the taste for them, so hopefully you're not like me.

To me that doesn't sound terrible, because that's like.. a good balance. Unless it's shitty for you, then I'm really sorry. What I'd at least like to do is get more variety in my diet or like, eat differently. Control myself and have real moderation, I guess. I am not allergic to gluten but I don't mind some gluten-free things/vegan things. (I know that's a huge thing because while there are people who literally can't have that stuff, and then people who hop on the trend.. I guess I'm hopping on a trend..)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
To me that doesn't sound terrible, because that's like.. a good balance. Unless it's shitty for you, then I'm really sorry. What I'd at least like to do is get more variety in my diet or like, eat differently. Control myself and have real moderation, I guess. I am not allergic to gluten but I don't mind some gluten-free things/vegan things. (I know that's a huge thing because while there are people who literally can't have that stuff, and then people who hop on the trend.. I guess I'm hopping on a trend..)

well as long as you don't do it all the time then it's fine. I'm very cat like in my eating where i'm able to self regulate naturally pretty well. i just get bored after 2 pieces of pizza

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's essentially what I want to do, [MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION]; is cut back. I mean, right now I'm aware of how poorly I eat and I kind of.. am not really doing much about it. And I'm tired of that, and I think now is a good time to change that. Acknowledging the issue is the first step...

It's what I've been doing with the calorie counting. Not that it's the prime way to deal, and some people need more calories than others, and the foods you eat matter in terms of nutrition.... but mainly being forced to log my food for a month now gave me a really clear indication of how much I was eating and what kinds of things. It made me a lot more aware of my food choices, so I can start operating from that basis more. When I know I would have to log 15-20 lifesavers in a day, I just end up eating 2-3 instead, for example, if that many. ;) Or it's like, "hey, that food has a ton of fat and sugar in it, and if i eat it, then I won't have room for stuff that will make me fuller and healthier today, so... best to only eat a portion of that at most."

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's what I've been doing with the calorie counting. Not that it's the prime way to deal, and some people need more calories than others, and the foods you eat matter in terms of nutrition.... but mainly being forced to log my food for a month now gave me a really clear indication of how much I was eating and what kinds of things. It made me a lot more aware of my food choices, so I can start operating from that basis more. When I know I would have to log 15-20 lifesavers in a day, I just end up eating 2-3 instead, for example, if that many. ;) Or it's like, "hey, that food has a ton of fat and sugar in it, and if i eat it, then I won't have room for stuff that will make me fuller and healthier today, so... best to only eat a portion of that at most."

That's neat. Calorie counting always confused the hell out of me, but I don't do it, so..

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
well as long as you don't do it all the time then it's fine. I'm very cat like in my eating where i'm able to self regulate naturally pretty well. i just get bored after 2 pieces of pizza

I do, too, I get bored and then I eat because I'm bored and I don't actually enjoy food. It's not all the time, but I truly feel I need to stop doing that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1. The desire to be healthier is awesome. Just don't create it into a push-pull goodvsevil thing. You aren't bad or wrong for wanting something different, and you aren't bad or wrong for doing things the same way either. Health is a very long, long journey.. an entire lifetime. So, think of it like you're building a lego set--one tiny little block at a time.

2. Don't read all the hype people post about what you should or should not eat, or at least read it as suggestions vs hard facts. Do what works for you. For me, that's substitution dieting (i.e. home cooked foods, healthier swaps for foods I like, and general portion control) but for someone else it can be Keto or Paleo or whatevero. I've seen people successfully cut sugar from their diets, and people unable to. No one food is evil, no one diet is correct. Everyone is different.. so, have fun with it, and see what works for you.

3. Start small and work your way up. Reducing processed and junk foods is a great goal--but make it more measurable and work your way from there. Like, for example, "I'm not going to eat fast food for my lunches" making your own lunches or going into a grocery store to pick up sandwiches or something.. or "I'm going to buy reduced sugar foods for breakfast." Maybe fruit preserves vs jelly, reduced sugar oats or making your own oatmeal, Ez-Sweetz (an awesome diabetic-friendly sweetening drops) instead of sugar in your coffee, etc. etc. Just work on one meal and figuring out what works for you, what you like and don't like that works within your goal. Once you've created a solid goal you can stick with and worked out the kinks, you can go further from there.

I really like chocolatecoveredkatie.com and skinnytaste.com because I think they both have recipes that still contain a lot of the elements of sweets (like moist brownies and banana bread) but cut out a lot of the processed part of it. You'll find stuff that works for you too. :)

Pandemeria

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can relate to your sugar troubles! Stress can make me gravitate toward sugary (and salty!) foods as well--I think it's a result of being in the grip of Se. Sugary fruits have been my saving grace, though. Dates, mangoes, green apples (these are especially effective for sweet cravings!), pineapples, and dried fruit deliver that sweetness without the health-deteriorating effects of refined sugar. Don't completely cut out sugar, though! You'll only crave it more strongly. Just try to replace sugary foods with sweet fruit.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I'm kind of surprised by myself, but I know I eat too much junk, and there are times where I have no self-control. Which is sort of all the time. I'm tired. Not so much literally, but maybe emotionally. I don't know if it's something other than me, thinking this, but I want to cut back on a lot of sugar/junk and try and be healthier. Because I feel like I can't do this anymore. And I'm still pretty young, being in my twenties, so why not? I fear the day that it will be too late for me to be better to myself. I try and drink a lot of water and I've started to work out again (about two weeks now, I've been exercising. Don't keep track of me on that.)

I'm just, ugh, over it.

Spiffy. Congratulations. :happy:

That's very interesting. I've heard of the keto diet and I've heard that it's good, but not sustainable long term. But everyone is different. Good to know I'm not alone in my lack of self-control with sugar; I feel like I'm the only one who eats terribly and everyone else is, like, not awful to themselves.

Going for a full ketogenic diet would be very extreme starting from where ye described as your current state of being. Fully ketogenic diets have little to no carbs in them (normally <20 grams) - that includes vegetable based ones. Ye'd be surprised at how many carbohydrates are in a bloody carrot. Good news, though! There's an adjustment period for most things. Any change to your diet that takes away something ye used to have regularly is possibly going to result in a full-body-whinge.

The reason this is a positive is that if ye expect it to suck for a little while, it's more likely one can push through it. Example: whenever I cut meself off from caffeine to reset my tolerance levels the results are me turning into a bridge troll temper-wise for almost two weeks. The main point of this isn't to dissuade in the least - it's to suggest that ye give yourself leeway when trying to better oneself.

Exactamente!

Diet and nutrition is something very specific to the person executing the change in lifestyle, and trusting your gut (literally, since it will speak to ye in tongues) is key. Try something, and give it some time for yon body to adjust, but if it doesn't work, just take it as data moving forward. As an aside, just because something is vegan or gluten free doesn't make it healthy - similarly to "low fat" products, those often are pretty high in sugar (which is both vegan and GF, funnily enough).

Last bit: if it helps any, time is definitely an assist when it comes to sugar - the longer one goes without added sugar, oftentimes the less good it tastes. I haven't had soda/sugar (not including occasional chocolate)/junk food in quite some time, and they taste disgusting and excessive to me now. As ye lose what is often a desensitization in the palate, it can make way for other, subtler and better flavors to be experienced again. Like carrots; single origin coffee; fresh blueberries; sashimi. :coffee:

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had a bunch of junk this weekend, [MENTION=6276]Zoom[/MENTION], so it's like I'm setting myself back. Buuut we do have organic mac and cheese and I have oatmeal for breakfast! So that's something.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
next you loose is the taste for vaginas and then MGTOW ! :)

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

reddit.com/r/keto
reddit.com/r/ketoscience

I do keto too!! Been a year and I'm never going back. I do a cyclical keto where I will eat berries from my farm during the season and not eat them any other time. Keto saved my life. It cured my wheat allergy and I no longer have to walk around the supermarket with a mask. Dunno what's it's done for my Celiac but I've had some cross contaminated food and been OK. Keto also cured my allergies and I no longer need allergy shots.

I'm a beekeeper and have to occasionally taste my own honey to evaluate the crops in the area. I hate the taste no though and it makes me wanna vomit. LOL. I also incorporate intermittent fasting and will go up to 24 hour without a full meal. It's amazing, I always feel so clear during my fasts and have a ton of energy throughtout the day to get shit done.

Do you fast too??

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Going for a full ketogenic diet would be very extreme starting from where ye described as your current state of being. Fully ketogenic diets have little to no carbs in them (normally <20 grams) - that includes vegetable based ones. Ye'd be surprised at how many carbohydrates are in a bloody carrot. Good news, though! There's an adjustment period for most things. Any change to your diet that takes away something ye used to have regularly is possibly going to result in a full-body-whinge.

I don't count my veggies and go unlimited on them. It's really hard to go over 20 carbs when I make veggies the center. I also only count net carbs, which most people do traditionally. So that is imperative to keto eating. Most people do 20g- 50g a day depending on their metabolism, how long they've been on it, etc. But it's very hard to get higher amount of carbs the longer you are fat adapted because dietary fat is so satiating.

There are medical approaches to keto where they are strict and do <20g for epilepsy, diabetes, etc.