First 12

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteenly View Post
    Yeah, that's essentially what I want to do, @Totenkindly; is cut back. I mean, right now I'm aware of how poorly I eat and I kind of.. am not really doing much about it. And I'm tired of that, and I think now is a good time to change that. Acknowledging the issue is the first step...
    It's what I've been doing with the calorie counting. Not that it's the prime way to deal, and some people need more calories than others, and the foods you eat matter in terms of nutrition.... but mainly being forced to log my food for a month now gave me a really clear indication of how much I was eating and what kinds of things. It made me a lot more aware of my food choices, so I can start operating from that basis more. When I know I would have to log 15-20 lifesavers in a day, I just end up eating 2-3 instead, for example, if that many. Or it's like, "hey, that food has a ton of fat and sugar in it, and if i eat it, then I won't have room for stuff that will make me fuller and healthier today, so... best to only eat a portion of that at most."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes OrangeAppled liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    It's what I've been doing with the calorie counting. Not that it's the prime way to deal, and some people need more calories than others, and the foods you eat matter in terms of nutrition.... but mainly being forced to log my food for a month now gave me a really clear indication of how much I was eating and what kinds of things. It made me a lot more aware of my food choices, so I can start operating from that basis more. When I know I would have to log 15-20 lifesavers in a day, I just end up eating 2-3 instead, for example, if that many. Or it's like, "hey, that food has a ton of fat and sugar in it, and if i eat it, then I won't have room for stuff that will make me fuller and healthier today, so... best to only eat a portion of that at most."
    That's neat. Calorie counting always confused the hell out of me, but I don't do it, so..
    You don't look out there for God, something in the sky, you look in you.
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    well as long as you don't do it all the time then it's fine. I'm very cat like in my eating where i'm able to self regulate naturally pretty well. i just get bored after 2 pieces of pizza
    I do, too, I get bored and then I eat because I'm bored and I don't actually enjoy food. It's not all the time, but I truly feel I need to stop doing that.
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

1. The desire to be healthier is awesome. Just don't create it into a push-pull goodvsevil thing. You aren't bad or wrong for wanting something different, and you aren't bad or wrong for doing things the same way either. Health is a very long, long journey.. an entire lifetime. So, think of it like you're building a lego set--one tiny little block at a time.

2. Don't read all the hype people post about what you should or should not eat, or at least read it as suggestions vs hard facts. Do what works for you. For me, that's substitution dieting (i.e. home cooked foods, healthier swaps for foods I like, and general portion control) but for someone else it can be Keto or Paleo or whatevero. I've seen people successfully cut sugar from their diets, and people unable to. No one food is evil, no one diet is correct. Everyone is different.. so, have fun with it, and see what works for you.

3. Start small and work your way up. Reducing processed and junk foods is a great goal--but make it more measurable and work your way from there. Like, for example, "I'm not going to eat fast food for my lunches" making your own lunches or going into a grocery store to pick up sandwiches or something.. or "I'm going to buy reduced sugar foods for breakfast." Maybe fruit preserves vs jelly, reduced sugar oats or making your own oatmeal, Ez-Sweetz (an awesome diabetic-friendly sweetening drops) instead of sugar in your coffee, etc. etc. Just work on one meal and figuring out what works for you, what you like and don't like that works within your goal. Once you've created a solid goal you can stick with and worked out the kinks, you can go further from there.

I really like chocolatecoveredkatie.com and skinnytaste.com because I think they both have recipes that still contain a lot of the elements of sweets (like moist brownies and banana bread) but cut out a lot of the processed part of it. You'll find stuff that works for you too.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I can relate to your sugar troubles! Stress can make me gravitate toward sugary (and salty!) foods as well--I think it's a result of being in the grip of Se. Sugary fruits have been my saving grace, though. Dates, mangoes, green apples (these are especially effective for sweet cravings!), pineapples, and dried fruit deliver that sweetness without the health-deteriorating effects of refined sugar. Don't completely cut out sugar, though! You'll only crave it more strongly. Just try to replace sugary foods with sweet fruit.

Romantic Iconoclast
    415 so/sp
    4w5>1w9>5w4

Ni>Fe>Ti>Fi=Si>Ne>Te>Se

Enneagram
    9w8

I'm kind of surprised by myself, but I know I eat too much junk, and there are times where I have no self-control. Which is sort of all the time. I'm tired. Not so much literally, but maybe emotionally. I don't know if it's something other than me, thinking this, but I want to cut back on a lot of sugar/junk and try and be healthier. Because I feel like I can't do this anymore. And I'm still pretty young, being in my twenties, so why not? I fear the day that it will be too late for me to be better to myself. I try and drink a lot of water and I've started to work out again (about two weeks now, I've been exercising. Don't keep track of me on that.)

I'm just, ugh, over it.
    Spiffy. Congratulations.

That's very interesting. I've heard of the keto diet and I've heard that it's good, but not sustainable long term. But everyone is different. Good to know I'm not alone in my lack of self-control with sugar; I feel like I'm the only one who eats terribly and everyone else is, like, not awful to themselves.
    Going for a full ketogenic diet would be very extreme starting from where ye described as your current state of being. Fully ketogenic diets have little to no carbs in them (normally <20 grams) - that includes vegetable based ones. Ye'd be surprised at how many carbohydrates are in a bloody carrot. Good news, though! There's an adjustment period for most things. Any change to your diet that takes away something ye used to have regularly is possibly going to result in a full-body-whinge.

The reason this is a positive is that if ye expect it to suck for a little while, it's more likely one can push through it. Example: whenever I cut meself off from caffeine to reset my tolerance levels the results are me turning into a bridge troll temper-wise for almost two weeks. The main point of this isn't to dissuade in the least - it's to suggest that ye give yourself leeway when trying to better oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    *snip*
    Exactamente!

Diet and nutrition is something very specific to the person executing the change in lifestyle, and trusting your gut (literally, since it will speak to ye in tongues) is key. Try something, and give it some time for yon body to adjust, but if it doesn't work, just take it as data moving forward. As an aside, just because something is vegan or gluten free doesn't make it healthy - similarly to "low fat" products, those often are pretty high in sugar (which is both vegan and GF, funnily enough).

Last bit: if it helps any, time is definitely an assist when it comes to sugar - the longer one goes without added sugar, oftentimes the less good it tastes. I haven't had soda/sugar (not including occasional chocolate)/junk food in quite some time, and they taste disgusting and excessive to me now. As ye lose what is often a desensitization in the palate, it can make way for other, subtler and better flavors to be experienced again. Like carrots; single origin coffee; fresh blueberries; sashimi.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    964 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I had a bunch of junk this weekend, @Zoom, so it's like I'm setting myself back. Buuut we do have organic mac and cheese and I have oatmeal for breakfast! So that's something.
    Alan Watts

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

next you loose is the taste for vaginas and then MGTOW !

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Not that it works for everyone, but I follow the ketogenic diet and love it. It's the only way of eating I've found that I not only can easily stick to a diet, but actually feel much better than when I'm not dieting (and I run/workout regularly). My anecdata based on a number of people irl I know that follow/have followed it are also pretty promising as well as an increasing number of studies. This is coming from someone that has absolutely no self-control for sweets/sugar.

reddit.com/r/keto
    reddit.com/r/ketoscience
    Keto - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    I do keto too!! Been a year and I'm never going back. I do a cyclical keto where I will eat berries from my farm during the season and not eat them any other time. Keto saved my life. It cured my wheat allergy and I no longer have to walk around the supermarket with a mask. Dunno what's it's done for my Celiac but I've had some cross contaminated food and been OK. Keto also cured my allergies and I no longer need allergy shots.

I'm a beekeeper and have to occasionally taste my own honey to evaluate the crops in the area. I hate the taste no though and it makes me wanna vomit. LOL. I also incorporate intermittent fasting and will go up to 24 hour without a full meal. It's amazing, I always feel so clear during my fasts and have a ton of energy throughtout the day to get shit done.

Do you fast too??
    WHERE YOU STOP IS WHERE I BEGIN.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Going for a full ketogenic diet would be very extreme starting from where ye described as your current state of being. Fully ketogenic diets have little to no carbs in them (normally <20 grams) - that includes vegetable based ones. Ye'd be surprised at how many carbohydrates are in a bloody carrot. Good news, though! There's an adjustment period for most things. Any change to your diet that takes away something ye used to have regularly is possibly going to result in a full-body-whinge.
    I don't count my veggies and go unlimited on them. It's really hard to go over 20 carbs when I make veggies the center. I also only count net carbs, which most people do traditionally. So that is imperative to keto eating. Most people do 20g- 50g a day depending on their metabolism, how long they've been on it, etc. But it's very hard to get higher amount of carbs the longer you are fat adapted because dietary fat is so satiating.

There are medical approaches to keto where they are strict and do <20g for epilepsy, diabetes, etc.
    WHERE YOU STOP IS WHERE I BEGIN.