• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Raw Vegetables?

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want to add more veggies to my diet but I live in a shitty dorm and can't really cook. What veggies do you eat raw and what don't you? Why? Do you have any raw veggie recipes? Share please :)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I eat raw tomatoes, but those are actually a fruit. Raw lettuce, spinach, and celery aren't and, and I just put lettuce on a sand witch.

Raw carrots aren't bad either.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Most. If you have a Trader Joe's or something near by, they carry one of my favorites. A bowl of raw chopped veggies. Nothing else. Super convenient. If you don't have a TJ's, get a bowl with a tight lid and chop these up - they keep several days.

94900_Healthy_8450.png

I also like a pasta salad with extra raw veggies added - greens in particular. Some spinach, arugula, red or green lettuce.... Now that it's summer, you can eat nearly anything raw or lightly cooked. If you have a grill or access to one, you can make stuff like corn, eggplant, squashes, onions....it's endless.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if you have access to a dorm fridge or some kind of fridge in your dorm's common area, but you might like to buy a few ingredients to make salads as well as veggie dips... Thing is, vegetables often need to be kept refrigerated.

Fridge issues aside, you can buy a bag of off-brand lettuce for as little as $3.50 which would probably last you an entire week (I recommend dark green lettuce as it has more nutrients - like romaine or butter leaf). Depends on what supermarket you visit, too... the store brand is always cheapest. I love making salads with chopped fruits and nuts, like walnuts and strawberries. I buy dried cranberries and avocados and just mix those together with a handful of strawberries and walnuts, then generously drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, or an organic dressing on the whole salad. If I want a more zesty salad, I ditch the fruit and make the salad with cherry tomatoes, red onion, banana peppers and feta. I haven't had it in a while, but I love Annie's Goddess dressing and also just plain old olive oil.

I make dips sometimes when the mood strikes me. My favorite is a very short and simple Avocado dip recipe, which I learned from a lady I worked with when I was at the restaurant. You just mash some peeled avocado in a little bowl with a fork. To that, add some mayo - about 1/2 the amount of the avocado. Add a splash of lemon juice and salt to taste. Make sure it's blended well and is a creamy consistency.

I also mix sour cream with minced cucumbers and red onion, and season with salt and parsley as a sort of tzatziki dip.

I'm also into eating Kimchi (picked cabbage). When I can get my hands on it, I go through an entire jar in a week, because it has that sour taste I love in addition to lots of vitamins and healthy bacteria essential to digestion (I have a bit of a sensitive stomach).

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
All vegetables are delicious in french onion dip.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For raw vegetables, I love avocados, peppers, carrots, and cucumber. I'm not entirely sure why ... I think I enjoy the flavor and they contain enough water that I don't need to dip them in anything.

I'm not a fan of anything else plain, due to flavor or texture.

If you have a fridge, you can make a great salad with corn, beans, shredded cheese, peas, peppers, tomatoes, and green onion on either a spinach, lettuce, or cabbage (or perhaps a mix of 2 or all 3) base with ranch dressing. I make my own ranch dressing by filling a container about 1/2 of the way with plain yogurt, 1/4 of the way with mayonnaise, and then adding salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, and dill to taste, and milk to your preferred consistency (if a veggie dip then you'll want a thicker consistency, and if a salad dressing you'll want a much thinner consistency).

Another good salad that would not require a fridge is chopped up apple or pear with a spinach base, walnuts (or any kind of nut honestly), craisins, and then for dressing equal parts balsamic (or apple cider vinegar) and olive oil, along with maple syrup to taste. I also like to sprinkle chia seeds on top.

rav3n

For a change, try jicama in a salad. Not only can you eat it raw, it also doesn't require refrigeration. But you have to be careful and select for age since it can get too fibrous, although a lot of people don't appear to care. The skin on the younger bulbs is smooth and less dry in appearance.

Old jicama:

Jicama1.jpg

Younger jicama, especially the one at the bottom. You can find even younger than this with smoother skin:

4e1fd9a4-9676-45cc-947f-26370076713a--2014-0930_jicama_022.jpg

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Carrots! I ate carrots and hummus all the time in college when I was feeling veggie deprived. I just kept it in my little mini fridge. Jicama and cucumber are also good options.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Canned veggies are always great; they can be kept longer and they're pre-cooked.

- carrots
- onions (any)
- bell peppers
- celery
- radish
- cucumber
- salad green (any)
- tomatoes
- i've seen people add mushrooms to salad uncooked ...

Though honestly all my friends who had the opportunity to live in dorms (...overcrowded ass state; i traveled one plus hours to uni every day each way) were like ... ... subsisting on cup noodles and mac donald's.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Spinach/lettuce/other leafy vegetables.

Snap/snow peas.
Cherry tomatoes.
I often eat mushrooms uncooked, too.