User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Default How Do You Unfuckup Old Hamstring Injuries?

I think the title is pretty self-explanatory.

I messed up my hamstring real bad during a kickbox-aerobic lesson 8 years ago, and I thought it didn't hurt enough to be actual damage, but after it 'didn't hurt enough' for a year and a half, and some seriously painful stretching, I guess I was wrong. I tend to pull it really easily since then.

I play women's league in American football in my country, as a linebacker. Last year, I pulled the hamstring something ugly during the second match of the season. However, we were short on linebackers, and like before, it just didn't hurt enough (initially) for me to think it was actually injured. The last match, I couldn't play without a serious mix of painkillers, legal performance boosters, and adrenaline at all. The initial injury happened in September. When it still hurt in December, I was aware that it's probably not as trivial. Due to vacations, sicknesses, Christmas etc etc, I didn't get to the doctor until February (when it still hurt), but he told me, he can't feel anything out of the ordinary at this point. It's May now, and shit still hurts, and I pull it every time I sprint. I try stretching it slowly through pain, but still, messed up. I even didn't do any sport to give it a rest (and because I had pneumonia) for a month and a half, and it fucks up right when I'm back on my feet. Also, it hurt intermittently all through bedrest too.

Is there anything I can still do with it to fix it, or do I just have to accept that this is the way it will be from now on?
    6w7 4w3 1w9 SX/SP

I like driving around aimlesly at night, and listening to angsty music.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

I love ESFPs and words like "unfuckup"
    Likes Dorito liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Thanks I like to use words that really express exactly what I mean. And if there are no such words, I will create them.
    6w7 4w3 1w9 SX/SP

Likes asynartetic, chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is a difficult injury. At this point, scar tissue has formed and it could be contributing to the pain. Not sure if you had PT but it would be helpful if you have not. They will also say to take it very slow and learn the right way to stretch, most people don't do this correctly. You probably need an MRI or ultrasound at the very least to measure the severity - feeling it won't cut it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Thank you, @ceecee I'd like to get an MRI. As far as I know, here, I need a doctor's recommendation for it. Maybe I can pay one, but I'll have to do some research on how that works. I've had PT for my back, but not yet for my hamstring. I have a note for a person I should go to for it, but I've been distracted, and hadn't gone yet.
    6w7 4w3 1w9 SX/SP

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
    Thank you, @ceecee I'd like to get an MRI. As far as I know, here, I need a doctor's recommendation for it. Maybe I can pay one, but I'll have to do some research on how that works. I've had PT for my back, but not yet for my hamstring. I have a note for a person I should go to for it, but I've been distracted, and hadn't gone yet.
    I don't know where you're at but you will need a doctor to order one and insurance authorization. They are expensive, even in more reasonable markets at the moment.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

From someone's blog:

Prolotherapy for my Hamstring Tendon Injury

The thought behind Prolotherapy is to inject a benign substance into the torn tendon site which causes an inflammatory reaction in the area, causing blood and plasma to rush to the area, providing it with the necessary components to facilitate tissue building and faster healing and thereby also helps to reduce pain.
    No idea if it works, but it's worth investigating.
    Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    From someone's blog:

Prolotherapy for my Hamstring Tendon Injury

No idea if it works, but it's worth investigating.
    That looks interesting. I think I'll ask a doctor about that... I hate needles.
    6w7 4w3 1w9 SX/SP

Well my perspective as a PT is that you should get it looked at by a PT if it's still bothering you in day to day stuff.
    Generally speaking...
    Stretches for the hamstrings can help, and warming up properly before working out, and exercises which strengthen the glutes can help too, by taking off some of the stress from the hamstrings.
    Likes Dorito liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Well my perspective as a PT is that you should get it looked at by a PT if it's still bothering you in day to day stuff.
    Generally speaking...
    Stretches for the hamstrings can help, and warming up properly before working out, and exercises which strengthen the glutes can help too, by taking off some of the stress from the hamstrings.
    I try and stretch it, I do warm up. And I work out too. I wonder if there are particular stretches that I'm not doing, which is likely. Will it sound stupid if I say I have an injured glute on the same side? I do squat though, and do leg workouts...
    6w7 4w3 1w9 SX/SP