breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default Caffeine Addiction

I am a caffeine addict. It has been going on about 35 years. It began simple enough: buying a Dr. Pepper walking home from middle school. It felt so good. To this day, drinking a Dr. Pepper activates all those feel-good chemical reactions in my body and I get a few minutes of pure bliss.

The problem is I am an addict. I get headaches and start jonesing for more. I sneak to grab some caffeine. I have bought caffeine pills just to have in case I need a hit and I don't have any.

And it is no longer effective. Outside the intial hit of pleasure, I don't get any other benefits. It doesn't help focus. I don't get extra energy. And the headaches come quickly, even if I just had a huge dose. I suspect it increases my anxiety and depression.

I have stopped using caffeine many times in my life. It is a week or two of hardcore withdrawals. And then it is good. I stopped for about six months once. I usually go about a month, and then have just a little. And then more, and more, and more.

Each time I get off, it is more difficult to do so. It used to only take 3 fays, then a week, now 2 weeks.

So, I am SfP and I am an addict.

And I am going to try to get off again, maybe permamently this time.

It has been 33 hours since my last caffeine and I am really jonesing for some caffeine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so
    Likes Xann, Falcarius, Nørrsken liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I just quit caffine a week or so ago. Mostly, I'm just more tired. No headaches or anything.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I just quit caffine a week or so ago. Mostly, I'm just more tired. No headaches or anything.
    I have a couple of eczema patches on my face right now, so I can't take coffee because caffeine irritates my skin
    A week ago, my head was killing me, but now I think I'm on my way to getting used to it
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress

6w7 > 1w2 > 4w3

Permabanned
    MBTI
    STFU
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    ILE None

I think i should quit caffeine too.
    Likes geedoenfj, thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

It has now been 45 hours. The headaches are hitting hard and advil isn't helping. My body has odd sensations all over. I feel awful. And it will only get worse.

I know if I can get through the next few days, it will eventually get better.

About a decade ago, I was randomly browsing the stacks at a large library and encountered a book on caffeine. It mentioned all the different body systems hurt by caffeine, like the digestive system and adrenal system and nervous system. It recommended a variety of herbs to offset the impact. It seemed to help, so I should pick some up. Milk thistle was the herb suggested to help the digestive system and it seemed to work.

I hate being addicted to caffeine. It is a horrible limitation on my free will.

And I read something else recently that caffeine is toxic and overtaxes the liver. And then the liver can't do its job.

Anyway, hopefully this will be the last time I need to suffer through this. I have done it 15 to 20 times and I would think I would learn....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so
    Likes Poki liked this post

Marshmallow Heart thepink-cloakedninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kotoshinohaisha View Post
    I think i should quit caffeine too.
    LOL yeah, you already have too much energy.
    Skinny people are easier to kidnap
    Stay safe
    Eat cheesecake
    Likes kotoshinohaisha liked this post

Melodies from Mars
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Caffeine used to give me a pleasant energy bost now it just makes me feel like cancer and unable to enjoy the moment and be calm

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

I only have Starbucks(fraps, with the occasional caps) Idk if that counts. I have it most any time I go out to do something. It's partially a reward method to keep me getting out of bed as a certified night owl/morning sufferer I am.

I use to have normal coffee (with cream, of various kinds and some sugar to drown out the black coffee taste, ick) since father was an addict throughout my growing up and would have 5 cups a day addicted. I just followed suit for a nice taste sensation but nowadays I can't hardly stand it. Once I drink it I end up feeling horrible. I get so drained feeling and tired, as well as the discomforting feel it leaves in ones mouth. It's the same way with pop now, so I can't have that either and with how horribly carbonated it is. Makes me feel a bit sick. So I've stopped drinking it since and only stick to occasional routine fraps generally but the caffeine is much more faint.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    STFU
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by thepink-cloakedninja View Post
    LOL yeah, you already have too much energy.
    Hahahaha. Lol xD i should decrease it [emoji14]

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

66 hours have now passed. Last night I was very exhausted and had a massive headache, so I went to bed at 10. I actually slept 8 hours!

This morning, no headache yet, but a lot of weird sensations around my body.

I suspect today will be really bad, but if I can get through the next 2 days, it should get easier.....