User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Is there a way you can wean yourself off without going cold turkey?

I've been trying to cut back. I was drinking 4-6 cups of coffee daily (strong coffee, usually). I'm trying to replace my second and third cups with a lot of water, then maybe a cup in the afternoon and an evening cup on weekends.

It's pretty bad how much I drink, because others notice. We have free coffee at work, I'm at the coffee machine every couple hours. People make comments. Fuck those people. It helps me tolerate them.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Is there a way you can wean yourself off without going cold turkey? I've been trying to cut back. I was drinking 4-6 cups of coffee daily (strong coffee, usually). I'm trying to replace my second and third cups with a lot of water, then maybe a cup in the afternoon and an evening cup on weekends. It's pretty bad how much I drink, because others notice. We have free coffee at work, I'm at the coffee machine every couple hours. People make comments. Fuck those people. It helps me tolerate them.

No can do. Cold turkey is the only way it works for me. When I just taper off, I end up going right back up. And if I don't cold turkey it, I don't get free of all the physiological and psychological issues involved.

Sometimes a price must be paid and the price is often pain and suffering. I just hope that this time I will stay off rather than go back in a few months......

Caffeine helps me deal with life, but the side effects make dealing with life harder, like increasing the difficulty on a video game. I am much much happier free of it, even though I miss the short fix. The short fix is really an illusion, as the poison that is caffeine deceives before it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    No can do. Cold turkey is the only way it works for me. When I just taper off, I end up going right back up. And if I don't cold turkey it, I don't get free of all the physiological and psychological issues involved.

Sometimes a price must be paid and the price is often pain and suffering. I just hope that this time I will stay off rather than go back in a few months......

Caffeine helps me deal with life, but the side effects make dealing with life harder, like increasing the difficulty on a video game. I am much much happier free of it, even though I miss the short fix. The short fix is really an illusion, as the poison that is caffeine deceives before it hurts.
    This sums up my feelings about marijuana. It helps me cope, in the short term. It creates more problems to deal with though. It makes me more antisocial, less sharpminded. It helps my creativity if I do it on a rare occasion, but when I do it a lot, I lose creative drive and just want to lay around watching movies and eating.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

This sums up my feelings about marijuana. It helps me cope, in the short term. It creates more problems to deal with though. It makes me more antisocial, less sharpminded. It helps my creativity if I do it on a rare occasion, but when I do it a lot, I lose creative drive and just want to lay around watching movies and eating.
    Most escapes and addictions are likely similar, short term benefit and long term loss. The underlying issues people have do not go away and once the addiction is less satisfying and more taxing, everything is worse off. We all run away from reality and it is not good for any of us.

Dumping each addiction only frees us and empowers us to dump the next one, which may be much more challenging. Eventually we can be free to enjoy life and without these weak crutches....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Most escapes and addictions are likely similar, short term benefit and long term loss. The underlying issues people have do not go away and once the addiction is less satisfying and more taxing, everything is worse off. We all run away from reality and it is not good for any of us.

Dumping each addiction only frees us and empowers us to dump the next one, which may be much more challenging. Eventually we can be free to enjoy life and without these weak crutches....
    I'm working on nicotine now. I'm not ready to give up caffeine yet.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I'm working on nicotine now. I'm not ready to give up caffeine yet.
    Kick one addiction at a time....no reason to try to change too much at once and fail.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I would like to cap the strength of the caffeine I drink at green tea, and then getting one nice coffee out per week. I have been very dependent on caffeine for years, but even that has become much more extreme lately due to work. But now that the pressure is off there, I suddenly have more energy and desire to put work into more personal things. A rung up the hierarchy of needs, perhaps.

Also, I have a mental illness that is well known to be aggravated by caffeine and sleep deprivation. I hate sleep and hate having different limits from other people (unless they're higher, of course), but feel guilty about not taking responsibility for the reality of what kind of body and mind I was given.

Started this yesterday because the thread appeared, and why the fuck not. The headaches are no joke.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

90 hours in and I am feeling pretty good. No headache now. This has been the least painful withdrawal I can remember.

It is funny almost how I put off doing this over concern over the process. I will still likely get killer headaches later, but until then, I will enjoy their absence.

Art Historian/Con Artist Neal Caffreynated's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx

Wow, I never knew you could get addicted to caffeine Personally, I am not sure if I am totally addicted but I rely pretty often on coffee to be more energetic in the morning... I drink a lot of Coca Cola too, never tried to cut on caffeine yet though, maybe I should try for a while
    Great art captures a time, a place and an emotion.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Cold sweats and dizziness hitting. Feeling really lightheaded. Not fun. Limbs are quivering, too...................... it feels like a really bad case of the flu.

FYI, I have been a serious caffeine abuser for decades. Not everyone will experience the same symptoms. It used to be mild. I just need to remember to not start again......
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984