• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pep Talk Diary for Weight Loss

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
My mom and I did Michael Thurmond's 6 week body makeover. It tells you which foods speed up your metabolism for your specific body type (A, B, C, D, or E) and which foods slow it down. Also, which excercises are best for your type. We've both lost 70 pounds in 1 1/2 yrs.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My mom and I did Michael Thurmond's 6 week body makeover. It tells you which foods speed up your metabolism for your specific body type (A, B, C, D, or E) and which foods slow it down. Also, which excercises are best for your type. We've both lost 70 pounds in 1 1/2 yrs.

Hey cool, could you tell me more about the specific body types? I would like to know which type I am and which foods are 'good'. :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
if you did the calculations i put in earlier, you should be just about right... if youre losing fat, gaining energy, and not feeling too hungry, you've got it. :) 1-2 lbs a week is best.

if you arent losing fat, losing lean body mass, or are feeling super tired due to hunger and exhaustion, thats a sign you're eating too much or too little, or the wrong things.

Most effective exercise you can do is pushing yourself away from the dinner table. It is much easier to reduce calories than to burn them off. If you do nothing more than reduce total calories consumed, eat earlier dinner, give up all sugary drinks, and get good sleep you will lose weight.

i disagree with this notion... there is a reason why they say "diet and exercise" instead of just diet.

the reason is because without exercise, past eating foods that have a higher nutrition-to-calorie ratio, the biggest caloric deficit you can manage is only going to be a few hundred calories for most people.

exercise does 3 important things--

1) it increases your calories used in a day without increasing your base metabolic rate (which you should never eat less than) allowing you a larger caloric deficit.

2) it keeps your metabolism high, our bodies actually have a small window in which to adjust metabolism based on how many food someone is eating. if you eat less, this is naturally going to shift towards the low end of things.

3) it develops muscle, which burn more calories. this is important in the long term as it helps curb your weight loss plateu. very overweight people can lose weight faster because they are usually in poor shape and have to work harder, and their BMR is higher. with diet alone, the last 10-15 lbs will be difficult to lose and probably take a very long time.

good exercise is like torque :D diet will help you lose a lot of weight initially but exercise ensures you progress through the steepest parts.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I go to the gym, right now I have 17.7% body fat and I am looking to get it to about 12% in the next few months. I hate to say it but I am a little weak when it comes to my eating habbits. lol I mean, I don't eat burgers or drink soda and I even stopped drinking liqor too but I need to focus more. I lost 15 LBS put I need to do more. I gotten a lot stronger too, its pretty cool.:D I am thinking of going to the gym in the morning too, as it is I go to the gym at least 4 times a weak for about 1:30 hours.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I go to the gym, right now I have 17.7% body fat and I am looking to get it to about 12% in the next few months. I hate to say it but I am a little weak when it comes to my eating habbits. lol I mean, I don't eat burgers or drink soda and I even stopped drinking liqor too but I need to focus more. I lost 15 LBS put I need to do more. I gotten a lot stronger too, its pretty cool.:D I am thinking of going to the gym in the morning too, as it is I go to the gym at least 4 times a weak for about 1:30 hours.

personally i hate the gym, i think it's boring. call me stubborn but i refuse to think maintaining health should be a chore. ive learned to think in terms of activities to replace more conventional exercises and that makes doing something every day a lot easier and more fun :)

instead of upper body weight lifting, i like rock climbing (males are just poor form like that ;))
instead of leg workouts, i like to hike with weight
instead of aerobics, just about any sport will work... i like ice hockey, paintball, martial arts, tennis

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
personally i hate the gym, i think it's boring. call me stubborn but i refuse to think maintaining health should be a chore. ive learned to think in terms of activities to replace more conventional exercises and that makes doing something every day a lot easier and more fun :)

instead of upper body weight lifting, i like rock climbing (males are just poor form like that ;))
instead of leg workouts, i like to hike with weight
instead of aerobics, just about any sport will work... i like ice hockey, paintball, martial arts, tennis

When I first started going to the gym I thought it was the most boring thing ever, and extremely painful no less. I remember the days that I could not even sit down properly after doing my legs.lol When I first started I couldn't lift 90lbs with my legs without getting cramps now I can do several sets while lifting 540 lbs (yes I am a beast:D). I love going to the gym now, when I don't go I feel that itch in my body to want to go. Rock climing does sound like a lot of fun tough. I might try it some day.

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hey cool, could you tell me more about the specific body types? I would like to know which type I am and which foods are 'good'. :D

Yes, here is the website where you can take a quiz to figure out your body type:

Provida Life Sciences | 6 Week Body Makeover

It'll tell you a little bit about what to eat and what to avoid but in order to get all the info, exercises, etc you have to buy the kit. I think it costs like $140 but it's definitely worth it. It has changed my life....as cliche as that sounds. I'm type A which has the slowest (okay, pretty much no) metabolism. If I can do it, anyone can! :yes: If it doesn't work, you can get all your money back if you return it within 8 weeks. We've told many of our friends about it and they've been successful on this too. Do you want to see my "before" picture? lol

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, here is the website where you can take a quiz to figure out your body type:

Provida Life Sciences | 6 Week Body Makeover

It'll tell you a little bit about what to eat and what to avoid but in order to get all the info, exercises, etc you have to buy the kit. I think it costs like $140 but it's definitely worth it. It has changed my life....as cliche as that sounds. I'm type A which has the slowest (okay, pretty much no) metabolism. If I can do it, anyone can! :yes: If it doesn't work, you can get all your money back if you return it within 8 weeks. We've told many of our friends about it and they've been successful on this too. Do you want to see my "before" picture? lol

That was really helpful: here's what it said:

Based on your answers to the Body Type Quiz,

As a Body Type C, your body builds and maintains lean muscle easily, which is good because muscle burns fat. Additionally, your metabolism is not as sluggish as several of the other body types - unfortunately, it is still not fast enough to keep you lean. The rate of your metabolism is the primary consideration in how your body gains or loses weight. The good news is: As a Type C, since you have plenty of muscle tissue to help you burn fat fast, once you use your custom eating plan to speed up your overall metabolic rate, you should see results extremely fast and have little trouble keeping the weight off after the program is done.

Your Customized Eating Plan will use foods specifically chosen to work with your body chemistry in an accelerated eating schedule to "jumpstart" your metabolism so your body sheds fat quickly, revealing the mesomorph (muscular) body underneath. Because your body builds and maintains lean muscle easily, your metabolism isn't quite as sluggish as some of the other body types. That means you don’t have to be quite so careful with "simple" carbohydrates such as fruits and starchy vegetables. In addition to the extremely complex carbs like potatoes and yams and fruits like strawberries, peaches and fresh pineapple, your body will also do well with slightly "sweeter" fruits like apples, bananas & honeydew. By eating the right combination of foods for your Body Type, you’ll be able to stop starving, start eating more and lose body fat faster than you ever thought possible.

The ratio of fat and muscle in your body reveals much about your metabolism and body chemistry. Metabolism is essentially the rate at which your body converts food into energy. When you eat something, your body will use some of the food as fuel, eliminate the elements it has no use for, and store all the rest as body fat. The faster your metabolism, the more quickly your body uses food for energy and the less it stores as fat. With a very slow metabolism, your body converts food into energy much less efficiently and more of it gets stored as fat. Basically, if you want to lose fat you need to speed up your metabolism.

As a Body Type C, your body is a combination of two basic physiological terms: a "mesomorph" which is a strong, muscular body like you might see on an athlete and an "endomorph" which is a body with soft, loose flesh and a tendency for easy weight gain. In your case, the mesomorph, or muscular Body Type, is dominant. The fact that you have such strong mesomorphic qualities is good because it means your body adds and maintains muscle tissue well, and that muscle burns far more fat than any other component of your body. The more lean muscle tissue you have, the more calories you burn all day long--even when you're sleeping. As a Body Type C, the best way to speed up you metabolism is to: 1) Preserve your body’s lean muscle mass; and 2) Begin following an eating plan that is customized to your specific Body Type that will show you how to use the right foods, in the right combinations, in the right amounts, and at the right time of day to force your metabolism to run faster so your body burns more of the food you feed it as fuel and stores less as fat. Once that happens, weight loss happens quickly and naturally.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think body type C is accurate. Although I was never really skinny except when I starved myself for a period between 16-21, I was never really super fat. And check it out - after only a week of daily workouts and after 9 days I lost 1.5 kg of fat. That's crazy!!! Of course, if I don't work out and watch my diet, I put on weight quicker than you can say, "FAT!" On the other hand, I also lose weight quicker and notice a definite change in strength and weight/measurements after a short length of time.

Like my husband said once, "You seem to be able to gain weight noticeably from one day to the next. I've never seen anything like it. On the other hand, when you go to the gym, I see the effects almost immediately!" :D

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think body type C is accurate. Although I was never really skinny except when I starved myself for a period between 16-21, I was never really super fat. And check it out - after only a week of daily workouts and after 9 days I lost 1.5 kg of fat. That's crazy!!! Of course, if I don't work out and watch my diet, I put on weight quicker than you can say, "FAT!" On the other hand, I also lose weight quicker and notice a definite change in strength and weight/measurements after a short length of time.

Like my husband said once, "You seem to be able to gain weight noticeably from one day to the next. I've never seen anything like it. On the other hand, when you go to the gym, I see the effects almost immediately!" :D

Yea I would say learning about body types was the single most important thing I learned about exercise and diet. Its at the core of any program and serves as a bullshit detector for all those fad diets and products. Seriously, it helps understanding how your body acts and reacts the way it does and allows you to be comfortable and at peace with your diet. It gives you parameters too for your diet program so you don't feel like you are just restricted to a blanket egg whites and salad type thing.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yea I would say learning about body types was the single most important thing I learned about exercise and diet. Its at the core of any program and serves as a bullshit detector for all those fad diets and products. Seriously, it helps understanding how your body acts and reacts the way it does and allows you to be comfortable and at peace with your diet. It gives you parameters too for your diet program so you don't feel like you are just restricted to a blanket egg whites and salad type thing.

Yeah, I hope it does not degenerate into that...I really do. :shock:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I had a really weird occurrence today while I was at the gym. Okay, so I went on the stepper as I usually do and my heart rate was normal (since I walk there and I was carrying my bag and it's heavier than usual today) 98. So I started at level 5, which usually keeps my heart rate between 110 and 140.

So about ten minutes in my heart rate jumps like crazy. I mean it was like 120 just starting out, which is weird, because it is usually around 110 at this point. Then it just started racing at like 180 and jumping down to 150 and going to 130 and then 150, and I felt really weird, like....exhausted. So I thought, okay, maybe I'm just being weird and the thing is freaking out or conflicting with someone else's heart thing. But then the only person close to me left and it was still doing that. So I thought, okay let's take a break and do something else.

I went on the weights, doing the weight I normally do, and it felt so much heavier than usual. I got tired so fast, which doesn't normally happen.

THEN when I was walking home because I thought, okay obviously my body does not want to work out today, I had to stop like 10 times on the way home and I felt kinda dizzy, which was weird, that NEVER happened to me before, even with a heavy bag. I walk, like EVERYWHERE.

So then I thought, okay, maybe I'm dehydrated, but my urine is a healthy, almost clear color??!!! And besides I drank like 5 cups of herbal tea and about 1 L of water, so I don't think that should leave me dehydrated.

I think I just need a little break today? Or maybe it's because my period's due? Or maybe I'm coming down with something? Weird. Really weird????

Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe I'm overdoing it....:shock:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey LL! Just thought I'd pop in and see how you're doing.

My roommates did the 6 Week Body Makeover and as they were cooking regularly, managed to lose weight.

However, if you're a non-detail oriented person (*ahem* ENFP) it's trickier to stick to. I could imagine an INFJ would have the discipline to learn and understand and then stick to such a diet. Congrats Lady Bug!

I say go for it if it helps. I just know that for myself, I use nutrition science roughly. I know eating some carbs and protein before and/or after working out helps with muscle formation.

I'm a type B myself. I think that means cut out carbs and such. But living in a vegan hippie house that's a bit tough.

I like concentrating on excercise myself. Burn those calories! Eat what you want. :) After figuring out a relatively 'healthy' overall diet that is easy to live with.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's been a long time!!!!!!

Shit, I should do this again - consistently!!! (Yeah, right, as if)! But I'll give it a shot.

Warm up with 10 minutes of rowing on rowing machine.

Making progress with weights too (45-60 minutes, 3x 15-20 reps)

Bench press: 20 kg
Fly: 20 kg
Chin-up machine: 41 kg
Rowing: 15 kg
Cable machine (rowing squats): 80 kg
Cable machine (fly): 20 kg
Cable machine (expander): 30 kg
Leg press: 93 kg
Abductor: 40 kg
Adductor: 40 kg
Ab with cable machine and medicine ball: 40 kg

Today I went spinning for the first time - DAMN, that's hard!!! :D It's a great workout, though: I sweat like crazy!!!!!! :D

Ate pretty healthy:

Breakfast: 4 figs, 330 ml milk, protein bar
Lunch: 1 tomato/mozzarella salad with a bit of oil and herbs, whole grain bread roll, protein bar
Dinner: 1 mixed salad with dressing
Water: 1.5 liters, Juice: 0.3 L, Milk coffee: 330 ml

Eh, I should have drunk more water, but hell on wheels...:D Not bad...I've been working out consistently again for a month woo hoo...now, damn it, don't lose interest and stay on target!!!!!

I need a whip. Really. :shock: