• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pep Talk Diary for Weight Loss

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Have you considered doing some shoulder exercises?

I found those along with back and ab work REALLY helped my posture and contributed to having a decent midsection. I'm curious as to what back weight lifting exercises you plan on doing as well. It looks like you're making good progress and learning, I noticed you knew when it was time to change your scheme a little bit which is good, lifting and working out near full capacity(or at least somewhat taxing depending on your goals) is what gets results.

From the bodybuilding site I used to frequent I found that a lot of the girls really loved leg exercises especially squats, they work your glutes, quads and hams, basically the whole leg but they are challenging.

Are you currently incorporating any leg routines or at least lower body?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Today, I was a good girl in terms of exercise. 45 min stepper, 5 min cool down (avg. heart rate = 130, 162 flights, level 5/1); 20 minutes weights; 15 minutes calisthenics. Then 2 rounds of sauna (yeah, I know that doesn't count, but who gives a crap?).

Aimahn, to address your question - well hell, I thought all those exercises work the back at least indirectly??? Those were the exercises I did during my rehab after my back OP.

And to work on legs and butt, I typically go on the stepper every second day. I don't want to do too much....Just enough to tone a bit. Perhaps later on I can do something else. :)

Those are good tips. I will incorporate them into my workouts bit by bit. Thanks a lot.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I stopped eating entirely and just drank water? :shock: Would I lose fat super fast?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
You probably would lose weight but a lot of it would be muscle and you would set yourself back incredibly fast. That's the main reason why those crash diet's usually fail, because the rebound effect, after you restrict your calories that low your body tries to maintain equilibrium so it gets use to super low calories and adjusts accordingly once you go to a much more "normal" state your body no longer needs to compensate and the weight will come back on with a vengeance.

Thats actually one of the biggest lessons I learned. FOOD is very important. Never forget it and always try and be reasonable with it, don't ever try and expedite the process by just cutting back a lot, it is never a good idea your body need energy and if it doesn't get it you will pay for it later.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, thanks! So I am doing the right thing by eating 1200-1500 kcal a day?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes I would assume so. I heard you mentioned a personal trainer, so I would guess he would have an accurate measurement based on your metabolism. I don't think I would be the best authority figure on that, lol I'm taking full advantage of being an 19 year old boy with a good metabolism, currently at least(pigging out a bit):D

But yes I think that is a good amount basing it on the 2000 calorie "standard" diet, which applies more to you than me, but I would suggest maintaining a healthy amount. Closer to 1500 seems better to me, especially since you are working out consistently.

I think its always better to feel like you're eating clean but not necessarily dieting heavily but at the same time making that up in terms of working out, which it seems like your doing an excellent job on!!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Awesome news today!!!

On Oct. 9th I weighed in on the weight analysis scale with the following values at 14:00.

Weight: 65.3 kg
BMI: 26.4
Fat Mass: 20.5 kg
Mass that is not fat: 44.8
Percent body fat: 31.X% (I forget the other figure)

Today, Oct. 20th I weighed in on the weight analysis scale with the following values at 10:30.

Weight: 63.3 kg
BMI: 25.7
Fat Mass: 19.0 (CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!! I lost 1500g of fat!!!!!!!)
Mass that is not fat: 44.3
Percent body fat: 30.0% (Woo hoo!!!!!)

So yeah!!! HA! See, the measurement figures were right!!!! Muahahahahaha! :devil: And it came off the *right* places, not the *wrong* places, if you catch my drift! ;)

I asked him why the mass that is not fat would decrease, and he said it probably had something to do with the fact that I had eaten lunch before I weighed in the last time. :D YAY!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks so much!

Yeah today I worked out but not so much because I did not have too much time. But I thought before I gave it up today, it's better to do it a little while. So I did 30 minutes stepper (but more intensely) about 25 minutes weights and 5 minutes calisthenics.

Ate about hmm 1400-1500 kcal today. :D

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I like the treadmill, with different inclines. It's really good for your bum. I like the rowing machine too.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like the treadmill, with different inclines. It's really good for your bum. I like the rowing machine too.

Really? Is it better than the stepper? Or the elliptical machine?

If I did that I would have to walk up a steep incline because I had a back OP and am not allowed to jog anymore....

But I would appreciate your input! :D Thanks!

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
For a few months I only did the treadmill with inclines and I really saw a difference. And I don't run at all, I just walk really fast. Then I added some rowing machine and elliptical.
When it was only treadmill, I did about 45 mins, but with the other two it was: treadmill, 25 mins, rowing 10 mins and elliptical, 10 mins.
And it works.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
^if you Google 'treadmill blah, blah' you can find some incline programmes.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For a few months I only did the treadmill with inclines and I really saw a difference. And I don't run at all, I just walk really fast. Then I added some rowing machine and elliptical.
When it was only treadmill, I did about 45 mins, but with the other two it was: treadmill, 25 mins, rowing 10 mins and elliptical, 10 mins.
And it works.

Hey, awesome, I might give that a shot and see what happens. I'm actually meeting up with my PT on Monday, so I will ask him to show me the rowing machine gig, and then I can give it a go!! :D Thanks for the tip. (Besides it is good to give your body a little change).

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The cross country ski style machines are great.. work out legs and arms, and non impact. Lots of calories burned there.

Are they called a cross-trainer maybe? I forget the names!

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Most effective exercise you can do is pushing yourself away from the dinner table. It is much easier to reduce calories than to burn them off. If you do nothing more than reduce total calories consumed, eat earlier dinner, give up all sugary drinks, and get good sleep you will lose weight.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Most effective exercise you can do is pushing yourself away from the dinner table. It is much easier to reduce calories than to burn them off. If you do nothing more than reduce total calories consumed, eat earlier dinner, give up all sugary drinks, and get good sleep you will lose weight.

Especially shitty food. Honestly if you abolish all(most if you really love em) sweets and deserts and just try and redirect your cravings into healthier foods you will be MUCH better off. Sugary shit absolutely KILLS your diet.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The cross country ski style machines are great.. work out legs and arms, and non impact. Lots of calories burned there.

Are they called a cross-trainer maybe? I forget the names!

I love elliptical machines, which are called cross-trainers here because they work arms and legs.

I am watching my diet. I think 1500 is good for a diet with not too many calories but enough when working out or what do you think?

Especially shitty food. Honestly if you abolish all(most if you really love em) sweets and deserts and just try and redirect your cravings into healthier foods you will be MUCH better off. Sugary shit absolutely KILLS your diet.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes I cheat. I need to watch out for that.

But I think I'm making good progress so far.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I am watching my diet. I think 1500 is good for a diet with not too many calories but enough when working out or what do you think?

Exercise just makes me hungry, so whenever I need to drop a few lbs to get back to the goal I just restrict calories: small portions, earlier meals, big breakfast or lunch and small dinner. Relative equilibrium rather than stasis.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exercise just makes me hungry, so whenever I need to drop a few lbs to get back to the goal I just restrict calories: small portions, earlier meals, big breakfast or lunch and small dinner. Relative equilibrium rather than stasis.

Well, generally my breakfast is something like a whole-grain roll with turkey breast, lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber with a little bit of butter and some mustard. With that, I usually drink between 250 ml and 500 ml of milk, depending.

Throughout the day, I drink a lot of unsweetened tea, water, water-juice mixes, and a little bit of coffee.

For lunch, I have an apple and a banana or a fruit salad and two of these protein balance bars that have about all the nutrition you need for one meal at about 350 kcal.

Dinnertime usually consists of a salad with some form of protein (usually boiled egg or fish). Sometimes I admittedly cheat and eat a piece of bread with a bit of chocolate/hazelnut creme (BAD GIRL!!! Especially at dinner!!!). When I'm not bad, it's usually just the salad and some fruit and/or yogurt for dessert.

If I ever get super hungry between meals, I usually get a salad with oil/vinegar dressing, but that generally does not happen anymore since my body got used to the restricted calories.

:D I cut out ice cream and sweets (except my little cheats once every three days or so). I never, ever really drink soda, so that's not a problem. Sometimes I drink cola zero for a little treat when I go to the movies, but I think that's okay (oh yeah, and I cheat and buy a small popcorn to celebrate my success - dumb huh??? LOL).

However, I think it's going quite well at the moment.

Today I also went to the gym and did 30 minutes elliptical machine, 15 minutes stepper with 5 minute cool down, 30 minutes weights. This time I did my calisthenics with weights (that's why it took longer) because I needed more resistance.

Not only am I losing weight, but I'm losing fat. I know this because my gym has a fat analysis machine that measures fat mass, mass that isn't fat, and water weight. :D So that's good news.

I'm also glad that it's not happening too fast - that means it will stay off as long as I stay on track.

My posture and strength and energy are also better, so that's an extra bonus. That's important for my back because I had a back OP.

Besides, I've started working on my shoulders with weights as well.

Hmm, I don't know if there's any other news worth mentioning, but thank you to everyone for your comments, advice and support because it's definitely helping me to keep on track! :D