User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

yup, once you get more acquainted with healthy foods you learn how to subconsciously mix and match, refrain from eating unnecessary things and you generally just get a good grasp on how to eat and how it affects you.

Olympic athletes like Michael Phelps expend an absurd amount of energy and they need the nutrients to replenish that. If you've ever seen the true life series about power lifters and bodybuilders you'll see why gaining muscle mass and maintaining it is a very challenging task. I think its also good motivation to work harder, because then you will get to eat more and if you work hard enough you can treat yourself more frequently with cheat meals and not have to be so self conscious.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    GONE

I want Grayscale to be my dietician.

Grayscale, I'm befriending you for those purposes.

ALso remember, LL, that Phelps is 1) a dude and 2) huge. Talking about body composition even outside of Olympic level physical activity, please keep that in mind. He can and should eat a lot more calories than you to maintain his size.

TWO POUNDS OF PASTA A DAY? Holy --

My brother eats like that, he's also tall and an meso-endomorph. And he's NOT an Olympic level athlete. He's pretty sedentary. He once reached for a pack of cigarettes and it threw out his back so badly (mind you, he was 24 at the time) that he couldn't move and intensively visited a chiropractor for a few months.

Caloric wise, Phelps' diet might be fine for him but eventually even in people who exercise regularly, high cholesterol, high fat diets will catch up to you later in life. I agree with Grayscale, eat healthy and find foods that you can live with.

Suggestion -- instead of mayo, use yogurt. Add lots of herbs and seasonings to food -- often it's not "food" you want but *taste*. Add heat -- chilis, hot sauce, if you can stand it. Ever eaten a bland meal and really wanted to eat more, even though you're not technically really hungry anymore?

LL, I would also suggest weight lifting. Some people recommend less reps/lighter weights to "tone" as opposed to building muscle but I personally think for the average woman, it doesnt' matter. In fact, in terms of body composition, it's muscle tone that lends itself to looking good underneath your clothes. It's also strategic muscle training that adds curves, because unless you are obese, losing weight = *losing* curves for women. More muscle also means you can eat more calories.

I weight train much more than the average female and I don't think I'm 'bigger' for it.

I've also done the weight gain/weight loss thing (lost ~25 pounds or ~10 kg) and I NEVER thought I could do it. I love talking about this stuff and theory versus reality to interested parties and comparing notes so let's chat and I'll jump into this diary regularly.

And yes, I would suggest getting your body fat composition. Your fat/muscle percentages make a much bigger difference visually and life impact wise than just your height and weight.

I have seen women who on paper are similar height/weight to me but we (at least IMO) are very different sizes/shapes.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Listen to CzeCze, she sounds like she knows what she's talking about. I think one of the key things is getting over that roadblock of fearing weightlifting, especially for women.

These are a couple links to the bodybuilding site that I frequent. There is a lot of helpful information in there that is nicely gathered for you. I think its helpful because you don't have to go through the daunting task of searching for useful information through all the misinformed BS thats out there. The first link is just a short article about women and lifting and the second is a bodybuilding( don't worry there are a lot of women on there who are in similar positions to you) forum for women.

Bodybuilding.com - Tina Marina - Training Myths And The Female Athlete!

Female Bodybuilding - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Bodybuilding.com - Aimahn's BodySpace
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    yup, once you get more acquainted with healthy foods you learn how to subconsciously mix and match, refrain from eating unnecessary things and you generally just get a good grasp on how to eat and how it affects you.

Olympic athletes like Michael Phelps expend an absurd amount of energy and they need the nutrients to replenish that. If you've ever seen the true life series about power lifters and bodybuilders you'll see why gaining muscle mass and maintaining it is a very challenging task. I think its also good motivation to work harder, because then you will get to eat more and if you work hard enough you can treat yourself more frequently with cheat meals and not have to be so self conscious.
    Good point! Thanks so much! I will try my best to improve muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

ALso remember, LL, that Phelps is 1) a dude and 2) huge. Talking about body composition even outside of Olympic level physical activity, please keep that in mind. He can and should eat a lot more calories than you to maintain his size.

TWO POUNDS OF PASTA A DAY? Holy --

My brother eats like that, he's also tall and an meso-endomorph. And he's NOT an Olympic level athlete. He's pretty sedentary. He once reached for a pack of cigarettes and it threw out his back so badly (mind you, he was 24 at the time) that he couldn't move and intensively visited a chiropractor for a few months.

Caloric wise, Phelps' diet might be fine for him but eventually even in people who exercise regularly, high cholesterol, high fat diets will catch up to you later in life. I agree with Grayscale, eat healthy and find foods that you can live with.

Suggestion -- instead of mayo, use yogurt. Add lots of herbs and seasonings to food -- often it's not "food" you want but *taste*. Add heat -- chilis, hot sauce, if you can stand it. Ever eaten a bland meal and really wanted to eat more, even though you're not technically really hungry anymore?

LL, I would also suggest weight lifting. Some people recommend less reps/lighter weights to "tone" as opposed to building muscle but I personally think for the average woman, it doesnt' matter. In fact, in terms of body composition, it's muscle tone that lends itself to looking good underneath your clothes. It's also strategic muscle training that adds curves, because unless you are obese, losing weight = *losing* curves for women. More muscle also means you can eat more calories.

I weight train much more than the average female and I don't think I'm 'bigger' for it.

I've also done the weight gain/weight loss thing (lost ~25 pounds or ~10 kg) and I NEVER thought I could do it. I love talking about this stuff and theory versus reality to interested parties and comparing notes so let's chat and I'll jump into this diary regularly.

And yes, I would suggest getting your body fat composition. Your fat/muscle percentages make a much bigger difference visually and life impact wise than just your height and weight.

I have seen women who on paper are similar height/weight to me but we (at least IMO) are very different sizes/shapes.
    Wow, you definitely added a lot of insight. Today, I started weight training - but only one round. Since I have had a back injury, I don't want to overdo it. On Monday, I will try two rounds.

It gives me courage to know that there are other women who have managed the same thing. Makes my goal seem much more doable and realitistic.

What percentage of body fat is 'good' for women?

I will also try the tips you gave for good 'tasting' food. Sounds awesome and I will give it a shot.

It would be *awesome* if you would be willing to contribute to my diary on a regular basis!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Listen to CzeCze, she sounds like she knows what she's talking about. I think one of the key things is getting over that roadblock of fearing weightlifting, especially for women.

These are a couple links to the bodybuilding site that I frequent. There is a lot of helpful information in there that is nicely gathered for you. I think its helpful because you don't have to go through the daunting task of searching for useful information through all the misinformed BS thats out there. The first link is just a short article about women and lifting and the second is a bodybuilding( don't worry there are a lot of women on there who are in similar positions to you) forum for women.

Bodybuilding.com - Tina Marina - Training Myths And The Female Athlete!

Female Bodybuilding - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Bodybuilding.com - Aimahn's BodySpace
    Thank you very much for the links and tips. That's awesome!!! Whenever you have cool links like that please share them!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    xNFP

Uh oh - the reckoning - let's take account of the damage:

Breakfast:

1 protein bar (sorry but I had to like run out the door) 175 kcal
    1 pear 75 kcal
    330 ml multivitamin juice 166 kcal
    1.5 L tea, plain (peppermint and camomile) 0 kcal
    Total: 416 kcal

Snack:
    250 ml low-fat milk (sorry I cannot find skim milk here yet) 120 kcal
    1 protein bar (I was starving) 175 kcal
    5 spelt animal crackers 50 kcal

Total: 345 kcal

Drink: Fitness drink 500 ml (Water plus flavoring) 60 kcal
    Water: 500 ml 0 kcal
    Total: 60 kcal

Lunch:

300 ml Kefir mix (150 ml Kefir, 150 ml cherry juice) 300 kcal
    1 banana 120 kcal
    1 apple 80 kcal
    Total: 500 kcal

Dinner
    1 salad with chicken strips (they were fried, damn it!!! ughhh if I had known that, I wouldn't have ordered it - I thought they were grilled) 500 kcal
    1L water 0 kcal
    Total: 500 kcal

Total daily amount: 500 + 500 + 60 + 345 + 416 = 1821 kcal

BLOODY HELL!!!!! Gahhhhh!!!

*sigh*

Daily activity:

10 minutes walking to bus stop: 35 kcal
    5 minutes walking to work: 15 kcal
    10 minutes walking to nail salon: 35 kcal
    10 minutes walking to gym: 35 kcal
    35 minutes elliptical machine (level 7, avg. 55 rotations) 415 kcal
    15 minutes weight lifting (1 round): 50 kcal
    10 minutes walking to train station: 35 kcal
    30 minutes walking home: 115 kcal (?)

Total extra kcal burned: 735
    BMR: 1100 x 1.2 = 1320
    Total calories burned: 2055

Total calories burned - total calories eaten: 2055 - 1821 = 234 kcal

Okay, welllllllll - I can live with that! Must get rid of snacks!!! Damned snacks!!! Oh, yeah and it goes without saying - no fried chicken strips. DOH!

Soooo I wasn't that good of a girl today BUT the good news is that I was fairly active soooooo it wasn't that awful. Tomorrow I will try to be better. I bought myself a yummy tomato salad with onions and parsley and yummy oil and vinegar dressing to give it some kick!!!

;-) Eh, I hope I can stick to my diet now that my husband's back!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Total extra kcal burned: 735
    Total calories burned: 2055

Total calories burned - total calories eaten: 2055 - 1821 = 234 kcal

Okay, welllllllll - I can live with that! Must get rid of snacks!!! Damned snacks!!! Oh, yeah and it goes without saying - no fried chicken strips. DOH!
    you are a fast learner, i didnt even need to point this out.

i think youre doing pretty damn good in terms of exercise, 735 is more than what most people who exercise regularly will do, just need to shave off those unnecessary calories (you know where they are)

in the as long as you have at least a little bit of a deficit, consider the day a success 'cause youre moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

im not an expert on this sort of thing in any stretch of the imagination, but hey, ISTPs know about everything right?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Mayonnaise 100 kcal
    Mustard tastes way better on sandwiches and it has no calories fyi.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    yupp

I have nothing to add besides good luck and I just read the title of this thread as dirty pep talk for weight loss.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    you are a fast learner, i didnt even need to point this out.

i think youre doing pretty damn good in terms of exercise, 735 is more than what most people who exercise regularly will do, just need to shave off those unnecessary calories (you know where they are)

in the as long as you have at least a little bit of a deficit, consider the day a success 'cause youre moving in the right direction.

im not an expert on this sort of thing in any stretch of the imagination, but hey, ISTPs know about everything right?
    Thank you so much - yes, I have learned a lot from you and appreciate any further input you may have!

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Mustard tastes way better on sandwiches and it has no calories fyi.
    True!!!! Thanks for indicating that - I did not even think about it, and Germany makes really good spicy mustard, which gets back to what CC said about taste. :-) Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I have nothing to add besides good luck and I just read the title of this thread as dirty pep talk for weight loss.
    ;-) Maybe there are some dirty secrets for weight loss, but they probably go in another section of the forum. Heh heh, maybe I should start one there.

Yeahhhhh, that's a good question. I wonder if sex burns calories....I will start a topic there. Probably a stupid question, of course it does, but I wonder how many! ;-) It would definitely be more interesting than going to the gym. Hahahha, noooo, just kidding - of course I will go to the gym.

MBTI
    xNFP

Okay, Judgment Time.

Caloric Intake:

Breakfast/Brunch (yeah, I got up late):

1 can sardines in oil (125g total, 90g fish) 290 kcal
    1/2 cheese pumpkin seed roll 120 kcal
    100 g tomato salad 45 kcal
    125 g green seedless grapes 85 kcal
    1 tsp. honey 40 kcal
    1.5 L black tea, no milk 0 kcal
    Total: 580 kcal

Snack (sorry, folks, couldn't resist - the weather was great!!!)

1 Fruit bowl (3 scoops of ice cream with about 100 g fruit and 25g whipped cream and a tiny bit of sauce) 600 kcal (AHHHH!!!!)
    1 cup black coffee 0 kcal
    20 ml (a couple of sips) of milk coffee 50 kcal
    Total: 650 kcal (whaaaa!)

Dinner (ehhh, I was good here!!!)

200 g red beet preserves 75 kcal
    100 g pickles (cucumber preserves) 25 kcal
    1 L fennel and camomile tea 0 kcal
    Total 100 kcal (wooo hooo!)

Complete damage: 580 + 650 + 100 = 1330 kcal (Ehhh, not too bad!!!)

Activity Level (I was a lazy ass today - spent most of the day talking to hubby and enjoying the lovely weather) :

60 minutes walking (about 5 km/3 miles): 287 kcal
    15 minutes moderate calisthenics: 74 kcal

Total burned: 361 kcal

Total burned: 1320 + 361 = 1681 kcal

Calories burned: 1681 - 1330 = 351 kcal (hehe, better than yesterday)

Okayyyyyy, so granted, I should have moved my ass more today AND I should not have eaten the ice cream (eh, salad would have been better, and some more protein) buuuuuut at least I did not eat so flipping MUCH! AND I had enough to keep my BMR intact. SO I guess I could call the day a success!!!!!!!