• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post workout fatigue/sleepiness?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I've been exercising a lot lately with my stationary bike. Not trying to lose weight or gain a bunch of mass/bulk up. Just trying to be healthier/strengthen muscles in my legs & core to help support my joints better - I have a congenital hip deformity that's been causing a lot of pain/may require surgery. The home exercise is done in conjunction w/physical therapy 2x a week.

At home, every day, or every other day, I go for an hour on my stationary bike (low resistance due to the hip problem). I seem to stay between 15-20mph throughout the ride. Get all sweaty, heart rate up between 130-150. I also wear an abdominal TENS unit belt to work my core while I ride. After the bike, I do 20-30 push-ups, & the physical therapy homework exercises for my hips (TA activation, hip flexion, bilateral gluteal bridges, clamshell - nothing too intense).

I feel pretty good immediately afterward. But within an hour or so, I'm hit by a wave of sleepiness I can't seem to shake. And I don't want to nap. Is this normal when you're just starting out (I've only just started supplementing phys therapy with home exercise over the past month)? Is it something that subsides after awhile, or am I dong something wrong?

I know I'm getting adequate sleep, staying sufficiently hydrated, & I'm pretty sure I'm consuming enough food. I eat a lot of the same food every day, I'm boring. For breakfast I have coffee & a wrap comprised of a whole wheat tortilla, 1 egg white, 1 slice of turkey bacon, kale, tomatoes, 2 tbsp nonfat cheddar, a little red pepper hummus. Sometimes a piece of fruit with it. Multivitamin, d3, fish oil & a B-complex+C vitamin. I usually consume this between a 1/2-1 hour before exercise.

After exercise, I have a fairly large smoothie (1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup whole almonds, 2-3 cups fresh spinach, chunk of fresh ginger, 1/4-1/3 cup blueberries, & a splash of v8 juice).

If I'm particularly active in a day, I may have a Clif bar (or a cup of soup or oatmeal) sometime in the late afternoon.

For dinner it's usually a serving of chicken or fish with some sautéed kale or broccoli. Maybe a small sweet potato or slice of pumpernickel toast.

I assume I'm eating enough since my weight hasn't gone up or down at all since starting all this. I'm 5'9" & weigh between 125-130 lbs (I've always fluctuated by 5 lbs, so I give that range). And again, not looking to alter my weight in any way. Just trying to tone up, protect joints, etc.

The fatigue's not a huge deal, ultimately. I was just curious about it/wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I don't experience it when I only do the bike for half an hour, but I really enjoy going a full hour, if not more, in time, if it doesn't adversely affect my hip.

Who knows, maybe this is simply part of the process of aging.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The spring is coming.

Despite the fact that I fail to see the relevance of that statement - & by all means, point it out if you'd like (I'm pretty tired/out if it presently)- I appreciate your post nonetheless. Mainly because your avatar makes me happy.

Mechnick

The Crow
Iron deficiency.

q3iCWqE.gif

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fatigue's not a huge deal, ultimately. I was just curious about it/wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I don't experience it when I only do the bike for half an hour, but I really enjoy going a full hour, if not more, in time, if it doesn't adversely affect my hip.

My answer depends on whether it's a dip in energy (followed by a levelling out of energy.), or if it effects the rest of your day. The first is probably an issue with your glycogen levels; have you ever heard of carb loading? The penalty of not doing it is less severe in your case, but not enough easily converted carbohydrates, and the much slower rate that the body converts fats, and protein. Maybe add a banana to the smoothie (Incredibly carbohydrate dense.).

If you're simply running out of steam; then you probably need to up your calorie intake. Also that belt as far as I know EMS is still considered bullshit; honestly you're getting more of a core work out doing the push ups. The core muscles are big muscle groups they require significant overload to develop.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My answer depends on whether it's a dip in energy (followed by a levelling out of energy.), or if it effects the rest of your day. The first is probably an issue with your glycogen levels; have you ever heard of carb loading? The penalty of not doing it is less severe in your case, but not enough easily converted carbohydrates, and the much slower rate that the body converts fats, and protein. Maybe add a banana to the smoothie (Incredibly carbohydrate dense.).

If you're simply running out of steam; then you probably need to up your calorie intake. Also that belt as far as I know EMS is still considered bullshit; honestly you're getting more of a core work out doing the push ups. The core muscles are big muscle groups they require significant overload to develop.

Yeah, I just seem to run out of steam for the rest of the day a few hours after working out. Initially I feel great. Then it dips, and stays down. The TENS unit's actually from a medical facility - I was allowed to keep it after a spinal fracture in '07, though I'm pretty sure that's not typical at all. I didn't question it because.. I could be a bit morally flexible about free stuff, sometimes. I figure every little bit helps, but yeah, actual core exercises are important, too.

I've heard of carb loading, I guess I just worry about taking in too much sugar, so I haven't tried it. I'll add half a banana to the smoothie/see if that changes anything. Then a whole the next time if it doesn't.

Gonna be adding some triceps dips to my routine, too. Tried some modified ones in physical therapy yesterday.

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Iron deficiency.

q3iCWqE.gif

Wow, never knew Clint Eastwood could look so... disgusted.

I had low iron levels last year, but recent bloodwork's shown it's back to normal, now/has been for awhile. Good call, though. That made me tired before, too.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Maybe you need more fun in your life once in a while :)

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I just seem to run out of steam for the rest of the day a few hours after working out. Initially I feel great. Then it dips, and stays down. The TENS unit's actually from a medical facility - I was allowed to keep it after a spinal fracture in '07, though I'm pretty sure that's not typical at all. I didn't question it because.. I could be a bit morally flexible about free stuff, sometimes. I figure every little bit helps, but yeah, actual core exercises are important, too.

Ah okay this makes sense: EMS is worthless for muscle development. but if I remember correctly it will help activate your muscles; reducing the chance of injuring yourself when doing the mobility exercises.

I've heard of carb loading, I guess I just worry about taking in too much sugar, so I haven't tried it. I'll add half a banana to the smoothie/see if that changes anything. Then a whole the next time if it doesn't.

As in you're worried about spiking your blood sugar levels? You can always pick something lower on the glycemic index; I suggested bananas because of the carbohydrate density.

Gonna be adding some triceps dips to my routine, too. Tried some modified ones in physical therapy yesterday.

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

If you don't mind me asking how exactly are the dips modified; it has such simple biomechanics? I was going to through in some links to basic body weight workout routines but I can't link anything (TC technical difficulties.). Also not a problem and good luck :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As in you're worried about spiking your blood sugar levels? You can always pick something lower on the GI index; I suggested bananas because of the carbohydrate density.

That, and accidentally putting on weight by taking in too much in general. I don't gain weight easily, but I guess I still have some residual neuroses about it. I'm still willing to try adding some carbs, if it'll help, though. The banana seems like a good idea. Taking it easy today (I had physical therapy 2 days in a row this week due to scheduling conflicts, so I'm pretty sore) - but I'll give it a try this weekend & post back if it helps with my energy levels.

If you don't mind me asking how exactly are the dips modified; it has such simple biomechanics? I was going to through in some links to basic body weight workout routines but I can't link anything (TC technical difficulties.). Also not a problem and good luck :)

Ah, I assume it's "modified" because I'd only ever heard of the dips being done with a bench/chair, etc, like below:

Triceps-Dips-Image-from-lifestyle.yahoo_.co_.nz_.jpg

The physical therapist had me try it this way, as it didn't aggravate my hip at all:

Get%20Honed%20And%20Toned_3.jpg

So, techinically, maybe it's just another variation, not 'modified' in any way.. not sure. I probably misused the term.

gromit

likes this
My DPT perspective here:

TENS is more for pain relief than strengthening. But maybe you have a dual TRNS/NMES? NMES is really only useful if you are experiencing muscle inhibition (e.g. after a surgery) or decreased activation (e.g. after a neuro injury) and then only when paired with a functional movement during which you consciously try to engage that same muscle group.

Have you brought up the fatigue with your PT?

Also, have you tried a short <15min power nap? I know you said you don't want to nap but usually a short one like that won't disrupt your sleep schedule.

It it does seem like it could be related to energy input/blood sugar (although an hour after seems delayed) or iron or B12 or something like that. ID say try the low hanging fruit in terms of solutions (eating a banana immediately after, trying the quick power nap, etc) but then maybe checking with a healthcare professional if it's worth getting blood work done or something.

Ive had that same type of feeling/experience before but not frequently enough for it to feel like a consistent thing.

Ball

MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
LET ME WARN YOU FIRST.visit a doctor for using supplements.eating them produces a lot energy inside your body that hurts your body.you may face with cysts in your body. Its usually adviced taking iron .and also vit D and calcium if needed if youre deficient or older than 50...thats all.
Dont expect yourself too much dear perfectionism.you will get use to it little by little as your body gets stronger.
I have a seggustion for you..just once try pilates please please..it may look boring but its a miracle.this is exactly what you need..it makes you stronger..after pilates you wont feel tired atall..you will feel fresh and ready for the rest of the day..its a real booster.
By the way.why do you need to take the best out of your body?you must have a hard job.

Lark

I get that far, far more if I've been lifting weights, especially if I'd been pushing it to a new level, the pain and strain in the joints for about two days afterwards can leave me wanting to sleep and do little else.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, have you tried a short <15min power nap? I know you said you don't want to nap but usually a short one like that won't disrupt your sleep schedule.

It it does seem like it could be related to energy input/blood sugar (although an hour after seems delayed) or iron or B12 or something like that. ID say try the low hanging fruit in terms of solutions (eating a banana immediately after, trying the quick power nap, etc) but then maybe checking with a healthcare professional if it's worth getting blood work done or something.

Ive had that same type of feeling/experience before but not frequently enough for it to feel like a consistent thing.

I did bring it up to my PT and she said more or less exactly what you posted here, actually. :)
Yeah, I'm the worst napper ever. Either I just won't fall asleep, or I'll sleep the full 7-8hrs, alarms be damned, haha.
Not enough food seems to have been the culprit, so far.

LET ME WARN YOU FIRST.visit a doctor for using supplements.eating them produces a lot energy inside your body that hurts your body.you may face with cysts in your body. Its usually adviced taking iron .and also vit D and calcium if needed if youre deficient or older than 50...thats all.
Dont expect yourself too much dear perfectionism.you will get use to it little by little as your body gets stronger.
I have a seggustion for you..just once try pilates please please..it may look boring but its a miracle.this is exactly what you need..it makes you stronger..after pilates you wont feel tired atall..you will feel fresh and ready for the rest of the day..its a real booster.
By the way.why do you need to take the best out of your body?you must have a hard job.

Yeah, I talk with my doctors about everything I do or take (exercises/medications/supplements, etc). But it's good you make a note about that here for other people, since some folks won't always do the research or run it by professionals.

The stationary bike and physical therapy workouts are exactly what I need right now, but I wouldn't be against trying pilates or other things in the future, long after I recover from the hip surgeries I'm going to need in a few months. Until then, I'm only sticking to what my physical therapist has me doing. A lot of 'low impact' exercises are still painful & potentially damaging for me due to the hip deformity I have (I expounded upon this in my first post in the thread). Again, this is still a great suggestion as a low-impact strengthening workout for people who have other types of joint pain. Always wise to run it by a med professional, too.

I'm not sure what your last question means - perhaps you can rephrase it? I'll answer as it is the best I can, for now - I'm not taking the 'best out of' anything. I'm trying to put my best into myself. The hip surgeries I'm going to need are kind of complicated, with pretty painful recovery & rehabilitation afterward. From blogs I read of other people who had this procedure - having good muscle built up before surgery - having a more athletic body - seems to reduce the risks for complications post-op, & makes the recovery/rehab a little easier. So basically I want to be strong before they cut me up.

Anyway, thanks for your input. You bring up the importance of consulting doctors with vitamin use, & that can't be talked about enough.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll just update here by saying the problem definitely seems like I wasn't eating enough for the amount of activity I'd been doing. My weight had suddenly begun to drop a bit- I didn't think I'd lost weight, initially. Completely unintentional, since I'm already thin. Adding a whole banana to the smoothies was a big boost. I also increased the portion sizes of chicken & veggies I have at dinner.

Due to some family-related stuff I posted about elsewhere the last 2 weeks, I didn't use my stationary bike at home at all, really. I did continue to go to my physical therapy appointments (every Tues/Thurs, with the exception of last Tues due to the blizzard we had). Wanted to maintain a level of normalcy during all the craziness. I will say, though - not using my bike as often at home took a small but noticeable toll on the amount of effort I had to put in during my PT visits. Stuff I'd just begun to be great at without struggling as much felt a bit harder. Physical therapist said, "you lose muscle a lot faster than you'd think." Even a week of decreased activity made an impact. I felt that was important to share here.

Been lower energy this week since the family services stuff is over, so today will actually be my 2nd day back on the bike this week. I think this fatigue is more mental, not the same as what I was experiencing when I first made this thread. I expect it will pass, especially if I push my body to stay active (despite the utter lack of physical motivation I feel right now).

Thanks everyone, for tips and support.

Mole

Permabanned
So, I've been exercising a lot lately with my stationary bike. Not trying to lose weight or gain a bunch of mass/bulk up. Just trying to be healthier/strengthen muscles in my legs & core to help support my joints better - I have a congenital hip deformity that's been causing a lot of pain/may require surgery. The home exercise is done in conjunction w/physical therapy 2x a week.

At home, every day, or every other day, I go for an hour on my stationary bike (low resistance due to the hip problem). I seem to stay between 15-20mph throughout the ride. Get all sweaty, heart rate up between 130-150. I also wear an abdominal TENS unit belt to work my core while I ride. After the bike, I do 20-30 push-ups, & the physical therapy homework exercises for my hips (TA activation, hip flexion, bilateral gluteal bridges, clamshell - nothing too intense).

I feel pretty good immediately afterward. But within an hour or so, I'm hit by a wave of sleepiness I can't seem to shake. And I don't want to nap. Is this normal when you're just starting out (I've only just started supplementing phys therapy with home exercise over the past month)? Is it something that subsides after awhile, or am I dong something wrong?

I know I'm getting adequate sleep, staying sufficiently hydrated, & I'm pretty sure I'm consuming enough food. I eat a lot of the same food every day, I'm boring. For breakfast I have coffee & a wrap comprised of a whole wheat tortilla, 1 egg white, 1 slice of turkey bacon, kale, tomatoes, 2 tbsp nonfat cheddar, a little red pepper hummus. Sometimes a piece of fruit with it. Multivitamin, d3, fish oil & a B-complex+C vitamin. I usually consume this between a 1/2-1 hour before exercise.

After exercise, I have a fairly large smoothie (1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup whole almonds, 2-3 cups fresh spinach, chunk of fresh ginger, 1/4-1/3 cup blueberries, & a splash of v8 juice).

If I'm particularly active in a day, I may have a Clif bar (or a cup of soup or oatmeal) sometime in the late afternoon.

For dinner it's usually a serving of chicken or fish with some sautéed kale or broccoli. Maybe a small sweet potato or slice of pumpernickel toast.

I assume I'm eating enough since my weight hasn't gone up or down at all since starting all this. I'm 5'9" & weigh between 125-130 lbs (I've always fluctuated by 5 lbs, so I give that range). And again, not looking to alter my weight in any way. Just trying to tone up, protect joints, etc.

Who knows, maybe this is simply part of the process of aging.

It's probably worth while remembering that the recovery period is as important as the exercise period, because in the recovery period we not only integrate the exercise into our body, but we integrate the exercise into our mind.

So if we exercise on day 1 we recover on day 2. And we can start to become mindful of the physical and mental changes that are taking place in the recovery period - our body and our psyche are amazing and adaptable.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's probably worth while remembering that the recovery period is as important as the exercise period, because in the recovery period we not only integrate the exercise into our body, but we integrate the exercise into our mind.

So if we exercise on day 1 we recover on day 2. And we can start to become mindful of the physical and mental changes that are taking place in the recovery period - our body and our psyche are amazing and adaptable.

Thanks so much for posting this - I absolutely agree. :yes:
This is exactly why I have my physical therapy sessions on Tuesdays/Thursdays, so there's some recovery time in between the strength-training I do there.

It's easy to forget to give yourself a day when you're exercising at home, too. I sometimes need reminders to listen to my body.

Mole

Permabanned
Thanks so much for posting this - I absolutely agree. :yes:
This is exactly why I have my physical therapy sessions on Tuesdays/Thursdays, so there's some recovery time in between the strength-training I do there.

It's easy to forget to give yourself a day when you're exercising at home, too. I sometimes need reminders to listen to my body.

I was talking to your body the other day and your body says it has a lot to say, it tries to get your attention, it tugs at you and pulls at you, but you so easily turn your attention elsewhere, it told me it learns a lot from your physical therapy sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and it wants to tell you what it has learnt. Just listening to your body I can see it is quite brilliant, well worth listening to, who knows what it will tell you?