• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Official 2017 Healthy Habits Challenge/Goals!

skimpit

It sounds like you've been busy! How's your Japanese going?

Thank you for all the tips. I think I might want to try Geocaching more, actually. And I've started studying Japanese and Korean as well, but not as hard as I could be. Perhaps posting to this thread can be motivation to show what progress I've made. I might just pick up the violin, too, again. But I'm not a very good player so that might stop me from doing that haha.

저는 한국어를 못 해요. 저녁에 공부해요. 언제 일본어를 공부해요? 같이 운동 할까요? 수고해요! (I'm not good at Korean. I study in the evenings. When do you study Japanese? Shall we exercise together? Keep up the good work!)

(I'm not sure if all of that is correct.)

I'll be sure to come back to this thread to check on your progress, too!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Went to my big tournament this weekend and did awesome! I'm a beginner, and it showed clearly -- I rank at the very bottom of the women's tournament. I did, however, defeat one single person in the beginner's tournament (where more people were at my skill level or slightly above it) and I scored points in multiple bouts.. Going there and trying, and scoring points, were my measurable goals I set out to do, and I did them!

The next tournament's goals are to: have my own gear I have been training in for a while, move up in rank in the women's tournament, participate in long sword open vs beginners, try a new technique such as sword and buckler, and sign up for ladders.

It sounds like you've been busy! How's your Japanese going?

Thank you for all the tips. I think I might want to try Geocaching more, actually. And I've started studying Japanese and Korean as well, but not as hard as I could be. Perhaps posting to this thread can be motivation to show what progress I've made. I might just pick up the violin, too, again. But I'm not a very good player so that might stop me from doing that haha.

저는 한국어를 못 해요. 저녁에 공부해요. 언제 일본어를 공부해요? 같이 운동 할까요? 수고해요! (I'm not good at Korean. I study in the evenings. When do you study Japanese? Shall we exercise together? Keep up the good work!)

(I'm not sure if all of that is correct.)

I'll be sure to come back to this thread to check on your progress, too!

Looks good to me, but I don't read any Korean. :laugh: I only study Japanese, and French very passively.. I am working on it though. I'm only on Genki chapter 4, so if you also work through that book we can practice together for sure :) just message me!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My attempts at figuring this out have been mostly unsuccessful.

New strategy: start by forcing myself to go to bed earlier. Setting a "go to bed" alarm maybe 30-60 minutes before bedtime, and gradually slowing down/getting ready after that. Then see if that helps with getting up earlier. Do that for a week or two, then see if fitting in morning workouts is actually possible.
Week 1 of this strategy has been going great so far! I actually got to work on time and had time to make breakfast and coffee! Now it's just a matter of keeping this going for the whole week and then seeing if I can get up even earlier to exercise.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Doubled up Chocolate covered katie's healthy banana bread recipe and recalculated the calorie content. 220 calories of banana bread make a decent light breakfast with 6 whole bananas jam packed into it + a bit of applesauce? It is an awesomely heavy bread with a lightly sweet flavor, glad I tried the recipe out. I make a pretty good banana cake bread but it's not full of things like greek yogurt nor are bananas half the ingredients.

Re-adjusting my training in Hema to include mini-peaks for tournaments, and going to start leg training a lot harder than I do now for agility.

Also, stretching hack!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've lost 18 of the 20lbs I gained after my ex and I split up. Got a ton more to go.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
- Go to a HEMA Tournament and go to practice once a week as much as possible.

I crushed this.. and will continue to do so. Going to another tournament in October.. Hopefully with full gear of my own, and showing up for the first time in our Piedmont HEMA community as the sword-fighting version of Princess Mononoke. I became the founding female, and first competitor, in our HEMA school. I got a legit patch for it and everything.

- I am aiming to complete 2 8-week programs for Fitness Blender.

I finished my pre-lim 4 week program.. I didn't do even half of the days, but I was fairly active foregoing the cold snaps. So, my first 8 week program is being scheduled this month. :)

- I will drink a cup of water when I wake up in the morning, and I will drink 2 cups of water each day I get onto shift and again halfway through shift.

Still not drinking first thing in the AM (I mean, sort of, but I had medicine I have to take in water, was not doing this prior.. but maybe I can use this to keep it up?) but I have been pretty good about 2 cups of water for each shift that I'm not bananas busy, the other two cups? Hit and miss....

- 6-7 continuous hours of sleep depending on what my body is feeling, but try not to over sleep.

Still not doing great at this, I slept 12 hours last night and woke up stiff and sore as a result. I do well at this on my work days. Still finding a good balance between getting adequate sleep and shift work.

- Eat vegetables of some sort with every single dish I cook

Doing well! Overall veggies are on the plate, no real struggle here at all.

- Make 3 Japanese-style dishes a week.

We recreated Midnight Diner recipes the other night and it was so good and easy we ate it twice in a row! Definitely my new go-to easy dish! Pork belly slices (basically uncured unsalted bacon), chopped veggies, dashi, and miso paste. Such an easy recipe that is super filling. The best part about soup is the giant portions. <3 Some noodles would easily make it more substantial though.

- Run 2 miles like it's another day at the job 1-2x a week at least.

Cold snaps set this back yet again. The North sucks with this, it's constantly getting cold at like May-June timeframe. Like how am I suppose to enjoy spring?! I know it isn't suppose to be hot, but it shouldn't be so cold we need a fire either! @_@ Oh well, it's in the works.. it'll warm up again soon enough.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My meal prep this week:

Breakfast: (No Sugar!) Cookie Dough Dip though I added more oats to it
Snack: Toast + Liver pate
Lunch: Black bean burger and broccoli tater tots
Dinner: Rice with katsu sauce, pickles, and miso-dashi vegetable soup

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Something I am learning over the course of trying to eat healthier: When I imitate other people's eating patterns, I need to adapt the amount that I'm eating based on the difference in our weights and level of physical activity. There isn't one right amount to eat, and I do weigh more than a lot of people I'm friends with -- in part because most of my friends are shorter than me in addition to weighing less. Accidentally starving yourself: not a great call.

This should have been obvious, but I tend to assume that everyone is around my height, and that there are particular, objectively "correct" serving sizes of things.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Something I am learning over the course of trying to eat healthier: When I imitate other people's eating patterns, I need to adapt the amount that I'm eating based on the difference in our weights and level of physical activity. There isn't one right amount to eat, and I do weigh more than a lot of people I'm friends with -- in part because most of my friends are shorter than me in addition to weighing less. Accidentally starving yourself: not a great call.

This should have been obvious, but I tend to assume that everyone is around my height, and that there are particular, objectively "correct" serving sizes of things.

Super great point! When I see recipes I have to really look for the calorie counts and adjust them.. Luckily health-nuts are obsessed with calorie counting... For example, I made a batch of 'healthy' banana bread that tasted AWESOME.... but I had to double it, cook it twice as a long in the process, and cut it into much bigger slices/portions. The original recipe was meant to be a snack-y 57 calories... NOT sufficient for breakfast like I was using the recipe for... The slices I made were about 250 total.. that + a generous fatty topping like almond butter and coconut curd made it a decent breakfast count for me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Kyu's 3 month guide into baby stepping into fitness:

If you don't know where to start at all, no matter what your lifestyle is and choices you make, here is a really simple guide to developing a relationship with your body and healthy lifestyle living.

There's two aspects to fitness, your food, and your exercise. This guide will mostly focus on nutrition.

Week 1: Be aware of what you eat. It seems easy, but this is the hardest part really! We're knocking it out early. Just take an app/tool like fitness pal or a simple piece of paper or a google note or something, and write down what you eat. It doesn't have to be fancy, don't bother with calorie counts, just write down what you ate, and if you felt hungry, good/fine, or overly full afterwards. It can be as vague as "went to the buffet, overly full" or "cereal and milk, not hungry but was 1 hour later". You're not going to be perfect, but we're just going to try to be mindful and take note. We'll be doing this for the whole month.

Week 2: Continue noting your food style and eating. Nothing has changed yet. But this week we are going to learn something simple to add to this note-taking process... and that's the portion-hand guide. How to Measure Food Portions at ARNG Guard Your Health An easy guide... but now you can use this to vaguely measure what you're eating. If something is hard to measure, no worries, we can skip that thing and just say "a slice of pizza" or "a large bowl of soup from the restaurant". But this will give you some accurate data. Don't forget to track what you drink as well. We're halfway through this tracking thing.

Week 3: We're adding a couple more notes to the tracking. Not hard or lengthy (that's what she said)... Just an emoji, and a star. As you go through your meals, snacks, office party snacks, and starbucks', I just want you to write a smiley face, a "meh" face, and a frowny face.. next to each thing you write down. A frowny face is not meant to mean an 'unhealthy' item, but rather, if you ever felt yucky about something you ate. Maybe you're allergic to lactose, but ate it and felt bad about it after. Maybe you associate certain foods with comfort but don't really feel great about eating them. Maybe you're stuck in an awful guilt-trip cycle of feeling bad that you're eating ANY calories at all. Maybe you ate applesauce and thought "hell yes, why did I forget how much I loved this food?" or "omggggg starbucks fraps are my jam" or maybe you tell yourself "man this cookie dough is exactly what I needed right then" put smileys next to those. If you really did not care about the food one way or the other, like it was in the break room and there so you ate it, put a meh face there. Put stars next to foods you did not make yourself but rather had someone else make for you.. like a frozen dish, a restaurant, or a take out order.

Week 4: Last week of tracking! Probably in a pretty good groove of tracking things by now. Did you know that being aware of the foods you eat and how much, that alone with no other thing involved, can still influence your decision making? It's called the Hawthorne effect. The idea is, the very act of watching yourself eat food and being active in that process enough to pay attention to how you feel before and after and looking at how much you eat is going to influence your decision making. You may or may not have noticed this... Did you skip a donut at work being offered because you didn't want to write down another snack? Did you choose a healthier apple to make the notes look more healthy and balanced? Did you notice you didn't eat any salads and picked one up at the store? We have a lot of hang ups about health, and when we are not mindlessly eating our food, those hang ups tend to bubble to the surface. Just take note of them if you notice. No one is reading this but you.

Week 5: Let's analyze our data! We're not writing things down anymore, but we are going to look at what we wrote down. The simplest thing is to count how many meals and snacks you ate. What is more your style? 2 meals a day? 2 and a snack? Snacking all day with no meals? 4 meals? Is it all over the place with no rhyme and reason?

Write down based on your data how you seem to eat. For me, that was 3 meals a day and snacking when those meals were small or when others brought food.

Next, overall, how do you feel about your food? Overwhelmingly meh? Lots of frowny faces? Lots of smiles? This is not a judgment of what you ate and society's impression of healthy, but rather, just how it made you in particular feel, if anything at all.

Next, how many meals you made yourself. Are you shocked by the results? Does it make sense? If you're a college student on a meal plan, you probably did not make many meals yourself. Or if you're younger and someone makes food for you like your parents. But if you live on your own, how many meals were convenience items others made for you vs yourself? Did you notice any barriers for making meals like money issues, transportation, equipment issues (like lacking a pan to make a recipe you saw), etc?

And did you notice anything about yourself? Like maybe you thought you ate more junk food than you actually do? Or maybe you thought you hardly ever get a coffee to go but realized you do it 2-3x a week? Did you notice you typically don't sit down to eat a meal? If you noticed it, jot it down with the analysis.

Notice what we are not writing here and that's the portions. We're not here to tally up anything. I want you to be aware of how much you're eating, but there's no need to say "I ate 35 servings of veggies this month!" or "I eat an entire pie every week!" what good is that data? It doesn't do anything for us here. We're building a relationship with our food. While you don't have to write food down anymore, you should still make a mental note taking of what you're eating. Feel free to track more and longer, but this habit of just... taking note of how you feel before and after, and getting a loose guess of the calories you are eating should stick with you. So week 5 will be practice this, this mindfulness without relying on the notebook.

Now, writing all of this down only takes a few minutes of the week. What are we doing with the rest? Taking note of our fitness activities mentally, and our food mentally, to lead into week 6.

Week 6: Let's calculate our caloric needs. Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv. This is important. We get a lot of misinformation about what we need.. People say 10x your bodyweight. This is somwhat what we use in the hospital to help calculate how to let comatose patients survive... We obvi need more calories than this in our lives. Plus, it's cool!

Print out the form, fill it out on both the busiest day of the week and the most chill one, and enter the data in and get your magic cool numbers. Average them for your magic number. For me, those basal numbers were actually pretty close to the bodyweightx10 thing, but it may not be for you. What's really important is my total energy expended: somewhere around 2,500 calories if I'm taking the average of a lazy day and a hard busy day with lots of exercise.

So what's the point of this? Basal rates are what you need to maintain what you're currently doing.. Like, the impotant stuff.. breathing, moving, and keeping up with your life in general. It is the MINIMUM you need. We don't go below this number. This is why calorie counting is somewhat important to know... Chances are if you're trying to lose weight you meet the minimums, but with dieting what so often happens is we suddenly don't even have enough to function. If you see anything trying to tell you to only eat 200 calories each meal, you'll know it's full of it. The total energy expended number is how many calories you use in your day. This is the number we will need to manipulate eventually. Not right now. Not soon. But eventually. So... Just be mindful of it. Particularly with so many restaurants and stuff having calories on display, you can see if you're getting enough to maintain your lifestyle truly, or way surpassing it, or whatever.

Now that we have all the data we want, we can move on. The rest of this week will be focusing on those frowny faces and stars. What made you feel the worst about your own food? Was it how expensive lunch is at work? Is it that you eat food that physically makes you feel unwell by mentally satisfies you? We're going to be picking on those frowny faces... just a few of them.

Week 7: Research what works for you. Everyone is going to be different here. We're going to be pick on major thing. I'll stick with examples, but everyone has their own aspects of living. You see that you only cook 1 meal a week, and the rest are all frozen dinners, take out, etc. And you realize you are frowny faced about frozen dinners. Let's think about this.. why don't you like to cook? Is it time? Money? Lack of an oven? Lack a kitchen? Can't cook for yourself? Hate leftovers? Do you just genuinely hate cooking or feel you are not good at it and thus do not make things as tasty as the take-out? All of these answers are just one possibility, or multiple ones, or a single potential data result. We're going to pick just this one. For example, I don't cook my own food for lunches at work because I don't have time.

This is where the research comes in. We're implying that if we had time to cook we'd cook for sure. So, let's research meals that are quick, delicious, and easy. Maybe something like slow cooker meals that only take 10 minutes of assembly and require no real monitoring. Or 10-20 minute meals. Childhood havorites like mac and cheese boxes with hot dogs sliced in. Yeah, pinterest that shit. See if anything is up your alley where you say, "You know what? I can make a meal in 10 damn minutes." Sandwiches? Yeah, only 5 minutes of prep and done, another 5 if you cook them. Soups? 10 minutes of prepping (even faster with a food processor) and a slow boil. Overnight oats are only a couple minutes. One pot meals that you bake in the oven? Done. Maybe the meal ITSELF is not 10 minutes total every time (like the slow cooker) but your active effort is only 10 minutes total still. The stove, or the cooker, will do the rest. So, let's try to double the cooking we do ourselves. If that's only once a week, let's cook twice a week. If we only cook one meal, let's try to cook 2 meals.

There is something online for everyone because everyone is obsessed with hacking their hang ups. Hate making grocery lists? People have them online and recipe links! ZERO thinking involved! Hate baking? Don't do it! Hate frying? You can make almost ANYTHING in the oven that you can fry, so don't fry it! You can still have that awesome chicken you love to eat. Like a certain food? There's copy cat recipes for lots of stuff online. Only have a tiny bit of money? Websites like budgetbytes have calculations pre-done for you! Whatever you think your hang up is, there is info about it on the internet that will turn a frowny face into a meh or even happy face!

Whatever your biggest hang up is that is stopping you from being closer to your food, find a way to tackle it. Just google something new and read through it each day and come up with a plan based on this research. This is not the end-all save-all to being healthier... and maybe this plan won't work! Maybe you think you don't have time, but actually, you find out you just hate leftovers really so your idea to meal-prep in advance failed miserably. :laugh: But we're going to try this plan, and see how it works for us. No pressure and no feeling failed allowed. Just try, and assess. The key is to make this measurable.. You don't know if you're 'doing well' by saying "the food I eat will be healthier".. but maybe, you can say, "I will cook my own food for lunch at work at LEAST 3 days a week instead of eating out. I will do this by prepping my lunches with food I like the leftovers of the day before the work week starts because my biggest hang up is time that day." Don't go overboard.. if you eat out DAILY for lunch, switching to eating your own lunch all the time without fail is going to feel like you suck every single time you go out to eat... but saying "Mondays and Fridays I will eat out still, but the rest of the week I can eat food I like from home" is doable. It's sustainable. And that's what we're making here. Maybe eventually it will feel like eating lunch from home all the time is sustainable (and I hope you do!) but we're making baby steps here.

Week 8: Implement the plan!
This is the easiest week of all, we're going to try our measureable goal, and see how it goes. We're going to reach for this plan for another couple of weeks. How you track your progress is up to you.. If the goal is to eat lunch from home 3x a week, having the same 3 tupperwares of food prepped and seeing if they all get eaten appropriately is good enough! If it is to cook at home once a week, maybe update your FB status with your cooking or post on google calendar when you cooked.

Week 9: Still doing the thing. :)
Baby steps are about being so easy it is difficult to find excuses to NOT do it. It is a world of difference in making long term sustainable goals. Weeks 9, 10, 11, and 12 are all about seeing all of this analysis and planning put into slow, methodical, and measurable action. And maybe you get to week 12 and realize this was stupid easy. Congrats! It should be for you! A tiny bit of active effort sustained over a long period of time. If the plan massive flops (like you realize you hate eating the same dish 3x in a row and thus meal prepping is not for you) see if you can adjust and change this idea (like instead of meal prepping, you pick easier foods to make/eat and make them each day vs all at once). If this practice becomes more sustainable than implement it instead! No sense in continuing something that isn't going to impact those frowns.

... But hopefully, week 12 lights a fire in you and you realize that when you look at those frowny face spots, you will see some smiles instead. You might feel really good eating food you like and doing it with goal achievement in mind as well. And you can go back to researching another small, active effort goal you can measure along side it. Maybe that goal is as simple as "I will cook my own lunches 4 days a week" or "I will start trying a copy-cat recipe of my favorite coffee shop 2x a week and put that $5-10 in savings towards another goal of mine" or whatever it is you want to get done. I would not go any after than 3-4 months at a time though. Let your goal be sustainable for 3-4 months before adding another day of prepping, or before switching that cookie dough at the store for a 'healthy' copy cat recipe at home. Feel free to experiment for a day/week to see what you want to try before implementing a new idea.

This is not about eating the most healthiest of healthy food in 3 months. This is a life changing transformation about building a relationship with your food. And Rome as not built in a day. If my goal was to cook my own lunches for work 3 days a week or to cook my own meals 2x a week, in 3 months I have figured out what I eat, why I eat like I do a little more, a hole in my logic (like that I don't have time, or that it's expensive, or that it isn't as convenient), and a simple, profitable intervention that I am able to sustain for an entire month (the idea being that status post this 3 month mark I will just simply have had a month long habit and turn it into a year long habit, whether I do anything else with this or not.). Something I never did before, I am doing now. And that's the point. I grew closer to my relationship with my food. Maybe I am just cooking macaroni and cheese, or eating 1 homemade copy cat cookie instead of grabbing that cookie downstairs at the shop, but I did it and I was not doing it before.

If you're stuck on how to start. This is how to start. If I were going to project what a year would look like with a plan like this, I'd say that I eventually discover the foods I like and what I'm willing to do and end up eating lunch from home 4 out of 5 days a week without feeling like it is work, effort, or boring at all. It will just feel like something I do, like washing my face in the morning or looking at reddit in the store line. Maybe I have discovered a healthy recipe I really like (like adding cauliflower rice to my regular rice to give it some veggies) and implemented that too, but this is just a bonus small thing on top of my goal to be closer to my food. Maybe this would inspire me to try the fitness side of things.. Or try to figure out how to incorporate more healthy recipes into my life.. but a major key to healthy eating is making your food yourself. And that's where we are trying to get at here. Is making your own food and having a relationship with that food.

Now.. If you want to get fitness in your life.. Creating time and space for fitness is the biggest thing. Start slow and low, lots of 5 minute stretching videos are out there and free on youtube to follow along with.. if those sound boring for you, try something as simple as parking in the back of a grocery store, or taking stairs instead of an elevator at work in the morning... but I'll go with the stretching example. Try to stretch every 2 days/week for a month. Then 3 days/week for 2 months. Try to bump it up to a warm-up video that's 6-10 minutes long 3 days a week for a month. Try a 10 minute work out video here and there that shows easy modifications. By the time you reach the end of a year's time, you could be doing 10-15 minutes of actual work outs 3 days a week sustainably. Find you forgot a day? Didn't find time that day, or have less of it? Dropping back down to that 5 minute stretch is always okay.

Health is a journey. Like. Of LotR sized proportions. A long, long walk. So, don't be in a rush to run it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm on a diet. I seem to have slowly put on weight over the past few years and my clothes stopped fitting and I had to buy new ones which is really annoying. Plan is to lose 2 pounds a week. I am pretty determined about it. Using MyFitness Pal.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm on a diet. I seem to have slowly put on weight over the past few years and my clothes stopped fitting and I had to buy new ones which is really annoying. Plan is to lose 2 pounds a week. I am pretty determined about it. Using MyFitness Pal.

Luck to ya! Maintaining weight loss is not always an easy target.

Out of curiosity, where would you like this 2 lbs/week come from? diet mostly, exercise, both?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Luck to ya! Maintaining weight loss is not always an easy target.

Out of curiosity, where would you like this 2 lbs/week come from? diet mostly, exercise, both?

Diet. I will start exercising too but one step at a time. I've lost 2 pounds the first week.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm always working on the most optimum thing I can do for my oral health. AsktheDentist is a cool blog I've been scouring lately, and I tried a new technique I haven't done in a long time for the first time. For the past 4-5 years I've had sensitive teeth, and I've been doing the saaaame routine this whole time: Brush x2 a day, floss, pre-rinse plax-style rinse first, brush with sensitivity toothpaste, and whitening hydrogen peroxide based mouthwash, followed by a fluoride rinse. Once a week I coat my teeth with a script fluoride toothpaste.

I'm switching out the mouthwash for a super strong mint tea. Maybe my sensitivity is from me being stupid and using low grade hydrogen peroxide this whole time. Who knows. My teeth get a good bill of health every time from the dentist, but maybe this will help a lot more and open me up to tastier options for toothpaste as well.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My entire plan fell apart, lol.

Two straight months of stress and life upheaval and friends/family-life upheaval led to stress-induced undereating which in turn led to not exercising enough anymore. Even though I'm eating enough now, most of my routines have fallen apart. I'm only exercising once a week, compared to 3-4x/week prior to that. I'm still going to bed too late and waking up too late. I've started eating out too muchand barely buying groceries.

I'm finally at a place where I can restore order in my life, so I now have a plan:

Step 1 is buying groceries to make some of my favorite things: peanut soba noodle slaw and lasagna. Enough for the whole week, and delicious enough to remind me why I love cooking.

Step 2, because my workout buddy's life is back in order as well, is getting back into the habit of going to the bouldering gym with her at least once a week.

The remaining steps have more to do with getting the tangible things in my life back in order: cleaning, organizing, setting up this brand new room in the brand new house I moved into, and being more organized and efficient at work. Because when my environment is in order, I feel infinitely better about every other aspect of my life.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My entire plan fell apart, lol.

Two straight months of stress and life upheaval and friends/family-life upheaval led to stress-induced undereating which in turn led to not exercising enough anymore. Even though I'm eating enough now, most of my routines have fallen apart. I'm only exercising once a week, compared to 3-4x/week prior to that. I'm still going to bed too late and waking up too late. I've started eating out too muchand barely buying groceries.

I'm finally at a place where I can restore order in my life, so I now have a plan:

Step 1 is buying groceries to make some of my favorite things: peanut soba noodle slaw and lasagna. Enough for the whole week, and delicious enough to remind me why I love cooking.

Step 2, because my workout buddy's life is back in order as well, is getting back into the habit of going to the bouldering gym with her at least once a week.

The remaining steps have more to do with getting the tangible things in my life back in order: cleaning, organizing, setting up this brand new room in the brand new house I moved into, and being more organized and efficient at work. Because when my environment is in order, I feel infinitely better about every other aspect of my life.

Life happens :) You put all that work in when life was good, and when life got tough you managed to muscle through it as a result! It's alright for things not to go according to plan.. adjustments have to me made. You made those plans when life was in a different spot entirely. Sounds like the new plan will help pull you back into the things that brought you some joy and accomplishment.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
29lbs down. I've had great success with skipping dinner, and instead having ice water and sunflower seeds in the shell. I can only eat the shelled sunflower seeds so fast so its not bad.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Great job on your success!! 29 lbs is nothing to sneeze at!

~~~~

As for me, I'm entering in my first 8 week program into the calendar at the end of the work week to work on that goal.

Been eating well, trying new recipes. Cooking Japanese food, which always makes me happy. We grilled today to celebrate good news in my family.. I forgot how much I like grilled foods.

Been slacking on my stretching. I haven't truly stretched in a while. I feel better when I do, and I can tell my hips are being impacted greatly.. it's sad how little time it takes to undo so much progress made. So, I'm going to try again, working slowly at it.

Lark

How is this going for everyone?

Today I have kicked off my paleo diet again, also done some reading on it because there were some things I was filling up on to try and fill my plate, like beans, which are not just not paleo but big no, nos in terms of it all.

I am also eating fruit, nuts and vegetables (no peanuts though, not strictly nuts according the last paleo book I read) and everything fresh, nothing canned, fresh dried, wrapped or preserved.

Its something I'm going to make a big push with, my exercise is on and off but my diet is what I think is at the heart of problems I've been having with my blood sugars recently, like for a couple of weeks, I do get symptoms but they are funny, not the usual sort, not the incredible thirsts or hungers but tiredness, sometimes, after I eat or breathing or other physical issues.

I am thinking of possibly commissioning a personal trainer, although I've not done anything yet, also I've started using a fitbit, tracking my heart and my steps. My brother has been using a fit bit and setting progressively higher and higher step counts, I think his last was 20.000, now he lives in a high rise so its a little easier because he's got stairs to climb or descend every time he enters or leaves the building which I dont have but he says the step count has really helped him lose weight.

Personally I want to build muscle and be an awesome strong man sort of thing but that a ways off yet, also I want to take up a lot of sports, I've joined an archery club (forgot about it tonight) but I'd like to do a lot of different sports if the opportunities arose for it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How is this going for everyone?

Today I have kicked off my paleo diet again, also done some reading on it because there were some things I was filling up on to try and fill my plate, like beans, which are not just not paleo but big no, nos in terms of it all.

I am also eating fruit, nuts and vegetables (no peanuts though, not strictly nuts according the last paleo book I read) and everything fresh, nothing canned, fresh dried, wrapped or preserved.

Its something I'm going to make a big push with, my exercise is on and off but my diet is what I think is at the heart of problems I've been having with my blood sugars recently, like for a couple of weeks, I do get symptoms but they are funny, not the usual sort, not the incredible thirsts or hungers but tiredness, sometimes, after I eat or breathing or other physical issues.

I am thinking of possibly commissioning a personal trainer, although I've not done anything yet, also I've started using a fitbit, tracking my heart and my steps. My brother has been using a fit bit and setting progressively higher and higher step counts, I think his last was 20.000, now he lives in a high rise so its a little easier because he's got stairs to climb or descend every time he enters or leaves the building which I dont have but he says the step count has really helped him lose weight.

Personally I want to build muscle and be an awesome strong man sort of thing but that a ways off yet, also I want to take up a lot of sports, I've joined an archery club (forgot about it tonight) but I'd like to do a lot of different sports if the opportunities arose for it.

Going alright for me! :) Little set back with my hips, but it's coming along smoothly this year.

Sports are an awesome way to stay in shape too ^_^