The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Default Hiccups for MONTHS -- No apparent Physical Cause

As you may know, I've had hiccups for months, now, and even though I've been to the doctor many times, they can find no physical cause for this curse I'm saddled with. It's not acid reflux, not a tumor, not a hernia, not electrolytes, and not nerves. Yet, I'm going hic-hic-hic and its hurting me at work since they started cutting my hours way down. I can no longer afford these expensive doctors visits, and I have tried all kinds of home remedies to stop these hiccups, but they will not go away. What other CHEAP thing can I try?

It's not that I'm unwilling to spend more money to fix the problem, I'm just not able.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

If it were me, I'd probably try fasting for a couple days. Just drink water.

If that didn't work, I'd probably try running as fast as I can for as long as I can.

I'm assuming your doctors have ruled out side effects from medications or an ulcer or some other condition.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Just found this:

Acupuncture Therapy Rapidly Terminates Intractable Hiccups Complicating Acute Myocardial Infarction

Acupuncture is a well-known alternative therapy in practice worldwide. Its dramatic effect on hiccups has been rarely reported. We describe a 77-year-old male who had hiccups after an acute myocardial infarction. Despite aggressive treatment including breath-holding to interrupt the respiratory rhythm, continuous positive airway pressure, and medication with metoclopramine, prochlorperazine, chlorpromazine, haloperidol, mephenesin, diphenylhydantoin, baclofen, and phenobarbital, the hiccups persisted for 7 days. Eventually, the hiccups were rapidly terminated by acupuncture at acupoint GV14 (Da zhui). To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of acupuncture's reversing intractable hiccups after an acute myocardial infarction. Acupuncture may be considered for patients with hiccups refractory to conventional therapy.
    Another, more impressive study:

Acupuncture Treatment for Persistent Hiccups in Patients with Cancer

The 16 case series patients were all male; age range of 27–71 years; 14 were white, 2 were black. They came from diverse sociodemographic backgrounds with respect to religion, ethnicity, nationality, employment, marital status, and education. There were 13 inpatients and 3 outpatients, including 9 referred from the Surgery Branch of NCI; 5 referred from the Oncology Branch of NCI; and 2 from the Stem Cell Transplant Branch of NHLBI. All patients presented with persistent hiccups lasting longer than 48 hours prior to treatment. The range of duration of hiccups was 48 hours to 144 hours and the average was 70 hours.
    Of 16 patients, 13 had complete remission of hiccups after acupuncture treatments, as indicated by a score of 0 on the HAI. Of the 13 patients who experienced complete remission, 8 patients achieved these results after one treatment session; 2 patients required two sessions; and 3 patients required three sessions.
    There's also a youtube video about a DIY acupuncture procedure (without needles):

Stop Hiccups with an Acupuncture Point (without a needle) - YouTube

I haven't watched it yet but there are apparently quite a few webpages describing the use of acupuncture points in treating hiccups. Just do a search.

Here's one that looks very simple:
    4 Acupuncture Pressure Points to Alleviate Hiccups Immediately

1. Face Point

Simply place your finger on your philtrum, which is the area between the top of your lip and the base of your nose. Press this spot firmly and push in towards your teeth. Hold this pressure for about 30 seconds before releasing it.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I will try the things in these 2 posts. I already skipped breakfast.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Hiccups...at least the typical kind (with no further medical causes to it) tends to be caused by breathing incorrectly. In fact, if you distract a person who has the hiccups (my mom used to tell me outrageous stories about purple spotted horses that would take my focus away from it), they often return back to a normal breathing pattern.

So you could just have a habit of breathing incorrectly. I'd..play around with breathing exercises and just..tinkering with the hiccups themselves. I do find that if I get frustrated, it won't work, but if I'm just curious about it, I can lengthen my breaths, soften the hiccup response, and re-sync my breathing. I did the same thing with when I've breathed in some water and feel the need to violently cough, but am still swallowing the rest - I postpone the choking, till my mouth is clear by controlling the gag reflex.

In that regard acupuncture and practices like yoga might indeed also be beneficial, because incorrect breathing often happens when you don't breathe in fully, and go for shallow breaths instead - iow, when you're stressed and your muscles are contracted, from what I remember.

I'm guessing that that might also be why acupuncture and perhaps yoga could be beneficial, as yoga focuses on breathing fully and correctly while teaching awareness and control over the breath.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    471 sp/sx

I feel really bad for you. I can't imagine how shitty that must be.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I wonder if some yoga and/or deep breathing exercises could help. I understand that hiccups happen when the diaphragm is spasming. Deep breathing exercises that muscle.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/so
    Socionics
    iei Ni

I remember reading somewhere that the longest case lasted for years and then just as suddenly as it came on, it went away. Why did they cut your hours down, you might be able to contest that somehow...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by that's not my name View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the longest case lasted for years and then just as suddenly as it came on, it went away. Why did they cut your hours down, you might be able to contest that somehow...
    Tricare, which is the United States' closest thing to Universal Healthcare (that only military veterans can use, so no getting sick THEN trying to get it) moved from my company to another competitor company, and since my city is where all the nukes are kept, most of our customers are military as this is the end of the pipeline for some reason and a lot of people don't move. With Tricare at our competitor's stores, we are going through an hour drain. Part timers like me went first. I'm getting a kind of garbage degree that's very boring and irrelevant to my life, but simply having A DEGREE is better than no degree, so I was trying to hover around 20 hours to break even while I do these last few semesters. They don't pay me extra for going now due to state budget cuts, but one of my scholarships grandfathered in and school is still cheaper for me than most people. Regardless, I'm down to about 7 hours and I've thought about going to the competitor to get more hours and a raise every since I got a call from them last month, but I've wanted to treat these hiccups first. The weird thing about these hiccups is that I have a 5-15 minute attack, then I get a 5-15 minute break, then I have another 5-15 minute attack...and so on. I've found holding my breath stops individual attacks sooner, but I still keep having attacks all day every day.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan
    Likes that's not my name liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

...and they are still going.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan