breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default White Women Drinking themselves to death

Nine charts that show how white women are drinking themselves to death - The Washington Post

In light of a certain thread where drinking was featured as a major issue, I thought this article was interesting. The article itself has 9 charts demonstrating the issue.

So why are middle-aged white women dying more often even while death rates for other groups continue to go down? What are white women doing that is so different?

In 1999, white and Hispanic women had relatively similar rates of death from alcohol, and the rate for black women was considerably higher. But since then, the death rate for blacks has gone down, the death rate for Hispanics has gone up a bit, and the death rate for white women climbed 130 percent.

Thirty-one percent of the women with a college degree reported drinking multiple days a week, compared with 21 percent of women with some college and 14 percent of women with a high-school education or less.

When dividing patients into income groups, we see women who live in poorer neighborhoods are more likely to show up at the emergency room for drug intoxication, but women from wealthier neighborhoods are much more likely to show up at the hospital for alcohol intoxication.

So, white educated women are drinking substantially more than even a few years ago, leading to increased deaths. Ignoring the death issue for this discussion, I wonder if anyone would like to share theories as to the sudden increase in heavy and binge drinking among educated white women.

Is it a byproduct of college binge drinking? Or an indication of increased stress? Or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

for one thing it's become more expected and acceptable in the media for ladies in that demographic group to go out and drink or stay at home with a bottle of wine... that sort of thing has a definite impact on people's behavior
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Some things to note,

While rates across the board have gone up, socioeconomics still plays the largest role as the lowest income still has the highest rates of drinking. Edit: As per the infographic in the op link.

I'd also be interested to see how things like stress play a part. E.g how many of these women are single parents, juggling several jobs, depressed...

drinking alcohol is the most socially accepted form of trying to forget your worries, the dangers of drinking are still not emphasised enough and its legal ... it doesn't surprise me that the rates are increasing.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

@Betty Blue

Source of the chart?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    @Betty Blue

Source of the chart?
    The link provided in the op.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Blue View Post
    The link provided in the op.
    Derp, I should've read the article more carefully.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Derp, I should've read the article more carefully.
    Or just looked at all the pictures.
    Likes Typh0n, Starry, ESFJ liked this post

Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Anyways this phenomenon is perplexing, but I have no idea why this is.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Interesting.

I think @miss fortune makes a valid point. On the other side of the same coin, social media as of late has been pill-shaming in the sense that it's trendy to criticize those who take prescription medications for depression, anxiety, and the like. Memes, giant wine glasses, and ScaryMommy.com have completely normalized regular heavy drinking though.

I'm a little surprised by the switch between the drug/alcohol ratio as income rises. Perhaps self-image concerns rise as income rises? And alcohol is much more of an outwardly acceptable habit than drugs. Alcohol is probably a more expensive habit than say marijuana, especially as addiction and tolerance rise (I'm speaking of alcohol addiction, not pot, lol). Income levels correspond to college education by default, so it makes sense that those with Bachelor's degrees could and would be drinking more.

I can't theorize why it is affecting white women only though other than maybe comparatively more of them are attaining college degrees and thus earning more money.

Actually, I recently quit drinking indefinitely because I realized that I was using it as an escape. It's been about a month and I don't really even miss it, although now I just drink a lot of kombucha so I'm not saving any money at all. I'm a 31-year old single white lower-income mom of two without a college degree. Most of my mom friends regularly drink wine and openly joke about it, but a lot of them would be the same people to say "don't take pills for anxiety/depression unless you try everything else first."

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

The same question was asked in the UK and it was blamed on wine o'clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.