User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Meditation

Default Meditation

I know that there have been some threads about it, but I’m here for advice.

To the folks who meditate or used to meditate:
    -Is it possible to learn to meditate out of any groups, classes etc? If so give me advices. How? Any books/sources?
    -What kind of meditations do you advice?
    -How to not get distracted?
    -Have you noticed any improvement/change in yourself due to meditations?

I’m interested in not-religious meditation, more for health,clear thinking and piece of mind purpose ; but I’m curious of all your experiences and advices.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes MDP2525, riva, Cellmold liked this post

Permabanned
    Socionics
    SLI

"Start small"

Try 5 minutes. Try 8 minutes. Try 10 minutes. etc. etc.

I meditate every night before bed. Minimum I do is 10 minutos.

I use a meditation app called Insight Timer. It's free and have a large selection of guided meditations.

I like guided meditations by Eckhart Tolle.

Distraction is inevitable. Do not be distracted by distractions. Just reset your mind to the anchor.

Have I noticed a difference? I'm naturally present due to my nature, however meditating does help me clear the mind.

It's like weight lifting for your brain.
    Likes Kas, MDP2525, Cellmold liked this post

@S16M4 This all sounds reasonable and absolutely possible for me to do. I will try out the app. Thank you!
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have been meditating about 5 days a week for about 9 months now, anywhere between 10-30 minutes. I find doing it first thing in the morning is the best time for me, because that's when it's easiest to have a clear head. I haven't taken any classes or done any group meditation, I rely entirely on guided meditation and general instruction from videos or books. My personal favorite instructors in this regard are Pema Chodron, Jon Kabat Zinn, Ronald Siegel, and even Sam Harris (he's Atheist, and his whole thing is spirituality without religion).

The first big thing I noticed is how the mind constantly fills itself up with something that feels like whiteboard animation. It's fascinating to pay attention to it happening. I mean, you're going to get distracted. The point isn't to stop from getting distracted, so much as it is to learn how to observe what distracts you. And to cultivate a kind of detachment while observing it, so that we aren't so easily hooked by the story-line our own mind's whiteboard animation is telling us.

I do think it's probably best to start with guided meditations. At least, that's what I found most helpful when starting. I sampled a bunch from local libraries- which is how I found my personal favorites (the instructors I listed above).
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    The first big thing I noticed is how the mind constantly fills itself up with something that feels like whiteboard animation. It's fascinating to pay attention to it happening. I mean, you're going to get distracted. The point isn't to stop from getting distracted, so much as it is to learn how to observe what distracts you. And to cultivate a kind of detachment while observing it, so that we aren't so easily hooked by the story-line our own mind's whiteboard animation is telling us.
    Watching the waves? I guess that's mindfulness meditation. I had earlier attempt to meditate and I must say I found mindfulness meditation most interesting. Besides professor I admire was recommending it a lot (he is 80 years old and his mind seems to be untouched by time). It was interesting... But I read only one introduction book (not very good) and had no idea what I was doing.

Anyway guided meditations sound good. Maybe I will find something in the main city library. If not, I found something of Jon Kabat Zinn and Sam Harris in mentioned by S16M4 app. Thank you for names, that's a lot of help

Likes Z Buck McFate liked this post

Lay in bed

Get comfortable

Uncross all limbs be in an open position

Breathe

In

One two three four

Out...

In...

Out..

Imagine peace. For me it is like the ocean. My thoughts are waves. Let the pain behind your eyes fall away. Let your every muscle relax. Let your brain feel "loose" or "free."

I cannot instruct you further until I practice myself
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny. -Stephen Hawking

Meet Richard P. Feynman
    Likes Kas liked this post

I meditate daily and use two techniques.

(1) 10 minutes every morning without fail- the technique I use is called Metta meditation which translates to loving-kindness meditation. This is the ideal meditation for beginners AND daily practice for keeping one's temper under control.

The four purposes of this meditation technique is to develop loving kindness, compassion, empathetic joy and equanimity.

Basically in this meditation technique one thinks of oneself, parents, loved ones, relatives, etc etc and even people one doesn't like and wishing them happiness, health, mental healing and nirvana.

For example:-
    May I be happy, healthy, full of wisdom and attain the bliss of Nirvana (repeat it three times) and then
    May my parents be ............
    May my wife and children be ...........
    May my siblings and families be .........
    May my .... etc etc

You don't have to wish them Nirvana if you don't believe in it.

Here is s a video on it.

^ Her video is a bit too long though.

I love this technique because it not only relives one of stress, it fills your brain/feelings with loving thoughts and therefore replace your angry thoughts with loving ones, and it also helps you concentrate your mind (with kindness).

What kind of meditations do you advice?
    I really advice this metta meditation technique because it really does make you feel compassionate and empathetic from my experience.

(2) Vipassana -
    The purpose of this technique is to watch your body, sensations (pleasant and unpleasant) and your thoughts (pleasant and unpleasant) as they rise. If you do it for long enough you would come to a place in which you would be able to by reflex (without even thinking) watch your sensations and thoughts rise and pass away.

This technique is quite advance but addictive because you can do it while you go on your daily lives. While you are walking, talking, eating etc you keep repeating to yourself what you are doing. When you are doing this you will begin to be more in touch with your sensations and thoughts.

This is quite advance and I have mixed results with this. I do it for weeks at a time, stop for a week of two after being disappointed with myself and come back to it again. But this technique is quite awesome because you can do it 24/7 (because you are suppose to do it while you attend to your normal daily activities), even while you have sex or even masturbate.

There had been a research done on this technique.

-----

But please, I insist try technique metta meditation (technique 1). The results it brings are faster and the instant satisfactions STRONGER.
    Likes Kas, Ursa liked this post

Be cautious of whom you learn from. Let your experience guide you if they are a proper teacher
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny. -Stephen Hawking

Meet Richard P. Feynman

Thank you for posts.

@riva I read something about vipassana before (probably while reading about mindfulness meditation), but haven't heard before about metta at all. I must say it sounds like giving a lot of peace and positive energy
    And very interesting read (!) Scientifically translating process into changing brain activity from impulse part of brain to emotional thinking part of brain makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    I’m interested in not-religious meditation, more for health,clear thinking and piece of mind purpose.
    So you might be interested in the book Waking up: a Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris.