• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meditation

Kas

Fabula rasa
I know that there have been some threads about it, but I’m here for advice.

To the folks who meditate or used to meditate:
-Is it possible to learn to meditate out of any groups, classes etc? If so give me advices. How? Any books/sources?
-What kind of meditations do you advice?
-How to not get distracted?
-Have you noticed any improvement/change in yourself due to meditations?

I’m interested in not-religious meditation, more for health,clear thinking and piece of mind purpose ; but I’m curious of all your experiences and advices.

S16M4

Permabanned
"Start small"

Try 5 minutes. Try 8 minutes. Try 10 minutes. etc. etc.

I meditate every night before bed. Minimum I do is 10 minutos.

I use a meditation app called Insight Timer. It's free and have a large selection of guided meditations.

I like guided meditations by Eckhart Tolle.

Distraction is inevitable. Do not be distracted by distractions. Just reset your mind to the anchor.

Have I noticed a difference? I'm naturally present due to my nature, however meditating does help me clear the mind.

It's like weight lifting for your brain.

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=29194]S16M4[/MENTION] This all sounds reasonable and absolutely possible for me to do. I will try out the app. Thank you!

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been meditating about 5 days a week for about 9 months now, anywhere between 10-30 minutes. I find doing it first thing in the morning is the best time for me, because that's when it's easiest to have a clear head. I haven't taken any classes or done any group meditation, I rely entirely on guided meditation and general instruction from videos or books. My personal favorite instructors in this regard are Pema Chodron, Jon Kabat Zinn, Ronald Siegel, and even Sam Harris (he's Atheist, and his whole thing is spirituality without religion).

The first big thing I noticed is how the mind constantly fills itself up with something that feels like whiteboard animation. It's fascinating to pay attention to it happening. I mean, you're going to get distracted. The point isn't to stop from getting distracted, so much as it is to learn how to observe what distracts you. And to cultivate a kind of detachment while observing it, so that we aren't so easily hooked by the story-line our own mind's whiteboard animation is telling us.

I do think it's probably best to start with guided meditations. At least, that's what I found most helpful when starting. I sampled a bunch from local libraries- which is how I found my personal favorites (the instructors I listed above).

Kas

Fabula rasa
The first big thing I noticed is how the mind constantly fills itself up with something that feels like whiteboard animation. It's fascinating to pay attention to it happening. I mean, you're going to get distracted. The point isn't to stop from getting distracted, so much as it is to learn how to observe what distracts you. And to cultivate a kind of detachment while observing it, so that we aren't so easily hooked by the story-line our own mind's whiteboard animation is telling us.

Watching the waves? ;) I guess that's mindfulness meditation. I had earlier attempt to meditate and I must say I found mindfulness meditation most interesting. Besides professor I admire was recommending it a lot (he is 80 years old and his mind seems to be untouched by time). It was interesting... But I read only one introduction book (not very good) and had no idea what I was doing.

Anyway guided meditations sound good. Maybe I will find something in the main city library. If not, I found something of Jon Kabat Zinn and Sam Harris in mentioned by S16M4 app. Thank you for names, that's a lot of help

Lay in bed

Get comfortable

Uncross all limbs be in an open position

Breathe

In

One two three four

Out...

In...

Out..

Imagine peace. For me it is like the ocean. My thoughts are waves. Let the pain behind your eyes fall away. Let your every muscle relax. Let your brain feel "loose" or "free."

I cannot instruct you further until I practice myself

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I meditate daily and use two techniques.

(1) 10 minutes every morning without fail- the technique I use is called Metta meditation which translates to loving-kindness meditation. This is the ideal meditation for beginners AND daily practice for keeping one's temper under control.

The four purposes of this meditation technique is to develop loving kindness, compassion, empathetic joy and equanimity.

Basically in this meditation technique one thinks of oneself, parents, loved ones, relatives, etc etc and even people one doesn't like and wishing them happiness, health, mental healing and nirvana.

For example:-
May I be happy, healthy, full of wisdom and attain the bliss of Nirvana (repeat it three times) and then
May my parents be ............
May my wife and children be ...........
May my siblings and families be .........
May my .... etc etc

You don't have to wish them Nirvana if you don't believe in it.

Here is s a video on it.

^ Her video is a bit too long though.

I love this technique because it not only relives one of stress, it fills your brain/feelings with loving thoughts and therefore replace your angry thoughts with loving ones, and it also helps you concentrate your mind (with kindness).

What kind of meditations do you advice?

I really advice this metta meditation technique because it really does make you feel compassionate and empathetic from my experience.

(2) Vipassana -
The purpose of this technique is to watch your body, sensations (pleasant and unpleasant) and your thoughts (pleasant and unpleasant) as they rise. If you do it for long enough you would come to a place in which you would be able to by reflex (without even thinking) watch your sensations and thoughts rise and pass away.

This technique is quite advance but addictive because you can do it while you go on your daily lives. While you are walking, talking, eating etc you keep repeating to yourself what you are doing. When you are doing this you will begin to be more in touch with your sensations and thoughts.

This is quite advance and I have mixed results with this. I do it for weeks at a time, stop for a week of two after being disappointed with myself and come back to it again. But this technique is quite awesome because you can do it 24/7 (because you are suppose to do it while you attend to your normal daily activities), even while you have sex or even masturbate.

There had been a research done on this technique.

-----

But please, I insist try technique metta meditation (technique 1). The results it brings are faster and the instant satisfactions STRONGER.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Thank you for posts.

[MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION] I read something about vipassana before (probably while reading about mindfulness meditation), but haven't heard before about metta at all. I must say it sounds like giving a lot of peace and positive energy
And very interesting read (!) Scientifically translating process into changing brain activity from impulse part of brain to emotional thinking part of brain makes sense.

Mole

Permabanned
I’m interested in not-religious meditation, more for health,clear thinking and piece of mind purpose.

So you might be interested in the book Waking up: a Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for posts.

[MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION] I read something about vipassana before (probably while reading about mindfulness meditation), but haven't heard before about metta at all. I must say it sounds like giving a lot of peace and positive energy
And very interesting read (!) Scientifically translating process into changing brain activity from impulse part of brain to emotional thinking part of brain makes sense.

Yes Vipassana translates to mindfulness. The mindfulness term - if I am not mistaken - was coined by jon kabat zinn who wanted to implement Vipassana into one's daily life without the religious aspect of Buddhism. However, Vipassana and Mindfulness is the same thing - I know this because I have read his works and his most famous book - he was clever enough to give it a catchy name. Vipassana has 'NO' religious aspect to it by the way. It's just watching your body, your sensations and your thoughts so that you could catch their reactions to internal and external circumstances. You will begin to notice your pleasant, unpleasant sensations as they rise and negative (anger, greed, jealousy) and positive (kindness, happiness, lofty thoughts) as they rise. Watching the body is the easiest way to observe sensations and thoughts as the body is something you can easily observe.

For example as I walk, I tell myself that I am walking, and at that moment if I see someone I don't like, I might get a a sudden angry thought, at which point I tell myself 'I am feeling angry or mind is with anger.' And when you do that the anger reduces a bit - perhaps in more advance practitioners it disappears completely - at that moment. And you keep walking. Researches have found out that the brain does react to you verbalizing (in your head) the thoughts and reduces the negative hormones from taking over.

Putting Feelings Into Words Produces Therapeutic Effects in the Brain; UCLA Neuroimaging Study Supports Ancient Buddhist Teachings | UCLA

^ I shared that earlier.

However, the relationship I have with vipassana is a love and hate one. I do it for a few months which much progress (developing insight) but stop for a few days - sometimes week - when I realize that progress I made wasn't enough (haven't attained Nirvana yet) or whether I am doing it wrong.

-------------

Going back to Metta meditation - which is awesome cus you wouldn't feel discouraged by it because the results are immediate - here are some more links on the subject -

Google

Mettā - Wikipedia

And here is a better video than the last one I shared. Skip to the third minute -

Loving Kindness Meditation - YouTube

-------------

Okay there is another meditation technique - which is quite popular among monks - which is Dhyana meditation. The issue with this technique is that you need an absolutely silent environment to practice it, which I why I never get to sadly practice it.

Dhyāna in Buddhism - Wikipedia

This is the same as vipassana and anapanasati (breath observation meditation which you have probably heard about a hundred times). But the results of it are more stronger than vipassana because apparently you get these experiences called Nimittas, which ones you have those practicing vipassana and compassion (metta) becomes easier. It's probably like seeing a miracle with your own eyes, therefore it's easier to believe in god. NO I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS SUPERNATURAL. I just needed a metaphor to explain it.

However, tbh I have absolutely zero progress in this meditation technique because I have tried in only a very few times, before falling asleep :D.

Here are some awesome encouraging videos on Dhyana meditation -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xE6ROki80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9UZ1oTfa0

--------

I feel like I am hijacking this thread.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you might be interested in the book Waking up: a Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris.

I read this. It's nice.

He teaches BUDDHIST MEDITATION techniques without the Buddhist teachings of Karma (your actions have consequences which are amplified by the intention behind these actions) and Buddhist teachings of rebirth.

So if you think Karma and rebirth is BULLSHIT (which is okay, since you have't seen it with your own eyes), I encourage people to read this book.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
+1 for Harris's Waking Up. He's got a kinda bad reputation for saying unnecessarily inflammatory things about religion, but otherwise I find his writing/instruction on meditation very helpful.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I feel like I am hijacking this thread.

I don’t mind it at all. That’s a lot of interesting information to me. And myself I have nothing to say… that’s why I started this thread :alttongue:

And yes I read article you posted, that's what I was referring to in previous post.

I read this. It's nice.

He teaches BUDDHIST MEDITATION techniques without the Buddhist teachings of Karma (your actions have consequences which are amplified by the intention behind these actions) and Buddhist teachings of rebirth.

So if you think Karma and rebirth is BULLSHIT (which is okay, since you have't seen it with your own eyes), I encourage people to read this book.
+1 for Harris's Waking Up. He's got a kinda bad reputation for saying unnecessarily inflammatory things about religion, but otherwise I find his writing/instruction on meditation very helpful.
Good. I found this book after first post of Z Buck McFate. I just need to visit main city library (they have it).

Partly in the subject has any of you read Harris "The Moral Landscape" book? Seems interesting...

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, Dr Sam Harris is a neuroscientist who is an experienced and learned meditator.

He is also a learned and brave critic of religion.

His integrity is transparent and his intelligence is crystal clear.

And I note he has no truck with astrology or mbti.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there are two paths to "mental stillness": over-stimulation (such as sufi whirling or body suspension) and under-stimulation (such as object meditation or a witches' cradle)...

it can be difficult to tell the difference between hypnosis and these altered mind states... i would advise caution of guided meditation techniques, particularly in groups or while under the influence of psychedelics... anyhow, i am not trying to tell you that the state of "no-mind" is inherently negative, but it can be dangerous ground...

“The whole of Yoga is to prevent the movement of the mind: all practices, etc., are mechanical aids to this end.”
-aleister crowley

Mole

Permabanned
I do a walking meditation. I walk very slowly back and forth, back and forth.

As I walk slowly my mind slows down to match my walk. I have been doing this for a while and I enter the state almost at once. I start to relax, I can feel my thoughts drifting, not holding onto them any more, and my appreciation of beauty comes upon me, then I enter the imaginative stage which is entrancing, my mind is enjoying itself and I let it, it just keeps going, and going and going, then all of sudden, my mind stops, and I am fully conscious with no thoughts.

That's all there is, I am in the world with no thoughts. But the moment my walk ends, my thoughts begin again.

Look, here they are, friendly and faithful, always waiting for me at the end of my walk.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I'm not really interested in another critique of religion (unless it shows different reasoning), but I hope I find Harris book interesting in different aspects (anyway I have it already)

[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION] what do you mean by comparing hypnosis and meditation? I can't open the link.

I'm looking for peace of mind / clear mind and not a state of no-mind, maybe it's not such a big difference, but no-mind sounds scary to me. I'm rather careful and trust my judgement, so I don't think I'm easily manipulated, if that's what you're warning me about.

Lark

I'm not really interested in another critique of religion (unless it shows different reasoning), but I hope I find Harris book interesting in different aspects (anyway I have it already)

[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION] what do you mean by comparing hypnosis and meditation? I can't open the link.

I'm looking for peace of mind / clear mind and not a state of no-mind, maybe it's not such a big difference, but no-mind sounds scary to me. I'm rather careful and trust my judgement, so I don't think I'm easily manipulated, if that's what you're warning me about.

I'd recommend you read Seneca's Letters of a Stoic to begin with, then maybe some other Stoic material after that because it sounds like you are searching for a reasoned peace of mind or peace of mind through reasoned reflection as opposed to this no-mind state which has been described.

I prefer it too, I've done a lot of different sorts of meditation and I've found that rather than the still, undistracted, quietism of some I prefer the western thinking, intellect or contemplative reading variety, or Rousseau's solitary walker variety too, as opposed to emptying my head I need to think things through and then peace of mind sets in when I see everything with the proper perspective.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what do you mean by comparing hypnosis and meditation? I can't open the link.

i mean that they are more or less the same thing... i am only meaning to say that if you place yourself in a potentially vulnerable mental state it is wise to pay attention to what influences you allow into that (mental/spiritual) space... i am not implying that you are weak minded; i am just pointing to the nature of the tool...

a new link

the term "no-mind" is rather old and the stated goal of traditional meditation techniques... i dedicated many years to studying these things, but i am by no means an expert... there is a difference between clearing your mental space while walking and more ritualistic forms of meditation (i.e. "rose cross meditation", "path working", "golden flower meditation", "tattva meditation", "tarot meditation", "middle pillar meditation", etc) i could keep rattling these off but this is more than enough to demonstrate that meditation comes in many forms (i am really only scratching the surface)...

i hope no one views this as an attack on any particular form of spirituality... i am merely meaning to demonstrate that meditation is a powerful programing technique comparable to hypnosis... it should be respected like any other tool of it's caliber... lets say you had a bulldozer in your backyard; would you think over who you handed the keys to? i would argue that the key to your mind should be kept carefully also... anyhow, i am not trying to advise you beyond that... seek your "peace" and your "bliss" in the way you most see fit...

post script:

not all of the links to various techniques are the best... so if one does catch someone's eye, i would recommend further research into the matter... also, some of these techniques are meant to be used after particular initiations or other preparatory measures... i will say that none of those techniques are a good fit for me personally...

post post script:

the link that didn't work for you was "Meditation and Self Hypnosis – both disciplines of the mind By Winsome Coutts"

http://selfhelp4life.com/articles/meditation-and-self-hypnosis.html