• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meditation

Mole

Permabanned
Mole...station

Meditation and levitation rhyme for a reason.

Transcendental Meditation purports to teach not only meditation but also levitation. And we find on examining Transcendental Meditation that not only does it fail to teach levitation, but it also fails to teach meditation.

And rather than teaching meditation and levitation Transcendental Meditation teaches the devotees to engage in a repetitive loop of trying to meditate and failing. This repetitive loop is very powerful and keeps the minds of the devotees occupied and their imaginations open to the suggestions of their guru.

We find levitation comical, but we stop short of finding meditation comical. This is interesting because the repetitive loop disables the sense of humour.

Have you ever wondered why the the Torah, Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, and many other holy texts are not funny? And have you ever wondered why meditation is not funny?

How do the Torah, the Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, and meditation, disable our sense of humour?

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
just want to say meditation is one of the few things I've done that instantly changed my life

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the most helpful directions I've gotten from Pema Chodron is to work on figuring out what you're bringing into the meditation directly before starting. I can't remember exactly how she says it, it's along the lines of labeling feelings or putting feelings into words. Doing this beforehand makes it even easier to glimpse how much the lenses of subjectivity are coloring perception.

Kilgore Trout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=28355]
For now about 20 minutes seems maximum to me. I'm trying to slowly make it slightly longer. But I may try this.

When I started, I used to meditate for thirty minutes a day, chunking the time. Ten minutes in the morning, ten minutes in the afternoon, ten minutes in the evening. After developing consistency (getting into the habit), I gradually extended my practice every week. Even if it's only a minute increase, as long as you're practicing regularly, you will notice benefits. If you have a decent phone as well, there are a number of apps that track time, how long your inhalations/exhalations are, and some even have visualizations of your breath. An old practice, which parallels the visualization of breath, is to hold a beaded necklace and count by rolling your finger over each bead. Other people count their breaths, especially if their minds wander a lot. For a concentration practice, you can even imagine an object in your vision, such as a red triangle, and rotate it in your mind while you breathe. Or if you have a candle, stare at the flame flickering, and breathe.

Mole

Permabanned
Not exactly the rhyme of the season.

Have you noticed there is no satire of meditation.

And have you noticed meditation is sincere.

And have you noticed meditation disables our sense of humour.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is not the satire of meditation. It is simply vulgar and cheap.

Isnt that kind the point of satire that it is a cheap and vulgar version of something. Take Weird Al. His songs are vulgarized and tacked up versions of the songs he is parodying. Again South Park is another satire and again is vulgar.

Mole

Permabanned
Isnt that kind the point of satire that it is a cheap and vulgar version of something. Take Weird Al. His songs are vulgarized and tacked up versions of the songs he is parodying. Again South Park is another satire and again is vulgar.

The point of vulgar and cheap satire is the cheap vulgarity, not the satire.

Those who can't tell the difference between vulgarity and satire are blind to both vulgarity and satire.

It is important to note that the vulgar and cheap are valourised in American popular culture.

American popular culture is in fact uncultured.

And as we take part in vulgar and cheap culture, we become vulgar and cheap ourselves.

And the vulgar and cheap are so depraved they celebrate their own cheap vulgarity.

And just as bad money drives out good, cheap vulgarity drives out good satire.

Kas

Fabula rasa
One of the most helpful directions I've gotten from Pema Chodron is to work on figuring out what you're bringing into the meditation directly before starting. I can't remember exactly how she says it, it's along the lines of labeling feelings or putting feelings into words. Doing this beforehand makes it even easier to glimpse how much the lenses of subjectivity are coloring perception.

That sounds like interesting approach and possibly helpful. :)

And have you noticed meditation disables our sense of humour.

Not really. Tbh I meant rhyming to your rhyme to be humorous, I guess it didn't go very well.

Mole

Permabanned
The point of meditation is to shut down the critical mind and open up the imaginative mind.

The imaginative mind is suggestible.

And this is why religious meditation is taught. It is taught so that the devotees will accept the beliefs of the particular religion without criticism.

This is called meditation abuse.

The decent way to teach meditation is to ask permission before any suggestions are made.

This is not done by any religious group I know.

So it is plain they are abusing freedom of religion to psychologically abuse their followers.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The point of meditation is to shut down the critical mind and open up the imaginative mind.

The imaginative mind is suggestible.

And this is why religious meditation is taught. It is taught so that the devotees will accept the beliefs of the particular religion without criticism.

This is called meditation abuse.

The decent way to teach meditation is to ask permission before any suggestions are made.

This is not done by any religious group I know.

So it is plain they are abusing freedom of religion to psychologically abuse their followers.

Lolz the point of buddhist meditation is awareness.

In samadi/Breath meditation one is taught to be aware of one's breath.
In pragna/vipassana meditation one is taught to be aware of one's sensations, thoughts and emotions. This way sooner or later the practiotioner learns to NATURALLY be aware of sensations, thoughts, emotiond and imaginations and therfore become unattached to one's cravings.

The purpose of buddhist meditation is exactly the opposite of what you said.

Lolz

Facts mole facts. If you don't know them don't make them up. It just makes you a liar or a troll.

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] have you practised religious meditation?

Mole

Permabanned
Lolz the point of buddhist meditation is awareness.

In samadi/Breath meditation one is taught to be aware of one's breath.
In pragna/vipassana meditation one is taught to be aware of one's sensations, thoughts and emotions. This way sooner or later the practiotioner learns to NATURALLY be aware of sensations, thoughts, emotiond and imaginations and therfore become unattached to one's cravings.

The purpose of buddhist meditation is exactly the opposite of what you said.

Lolz

Facts mole facts. If you don't know them don't make them up. It just makes you a liar or a troll.

I don't appreciate being insulted as a liar or a troll. This is strictly against the rules and as may lead to your banning.

The purpose of Buddhism is control. So first they take control your awareness and then control you through suggestions.

But let us look at today's reality. The Buddhists and the Buddhist monks of Myanmar, formerly Burma, are raping, killing, burning the homes, and committing genocide as I write, against their own citizens, the Rohingya.

As the citizens of the West abandon their own religions, they seek a replacement in the exotic. And Buddhism is popular just because it is exotic. And to be a Buddhist we need to close our eyes to the egregious crimes of Buddhism against humanity.

Mole

Permabanned
@Mole have you practised religious meditation?

I haven't practised religious meditation as such but I have been fortunate to have had the time and inclination to practice secular meditation. I am grateful I have learnt the skill of meditation, and I meditate as a matter of course every day.

I also have an intellectual interest in meditation and have been influenced by:

Relief Without Drugs​
by Ainslie Mears,

by From Magic to Technology by Dennis Wier,

and by the The Way of Trance by Dennis Wier,

and The Cloud of Unknowing by Anonymous,

and Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris,

and The Art of Joyful Living by Jacques Peze.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't appreciate being insulted as a liar or a troll. This is strictly against the rules and as may lead to your banning.

The purpose of Buddhism is control. So first they take control your awareness and then control you through suggestions.

But let us look at today's reality. The Buddhists and the Buddhist monks of Myanmar, formerly Burma, are raping, killing, burning the homes, and committing genocide as I write, against their own citizens, the Rohingya.

As the citizens of the West abandon their own religions, they seek a replacement in the exotic. And Buddhism is popular just because it is exotic. And to be a Buddhist we need to close our eyes to the egregious crimes of Buddhism against humanity.

I don't think awareness (even seen as subjective) is influenced as easy as e.g. perception.

Buddhism is not a person, therefore can't commit a crime. There is a difference between individual and their belief. As long as people won't see it, there will be no understanding.

I wish you don't offend believers of any religion in this thread. You can state your opinion without doing so.

Mole

Permabanned
I don't think awareness (even seen as subjective) is influenced as easy as e.g. perception.

Buddhism is not a person, therefore can't commit a crime. There is a difference between individual and their belief. As long as people won't see it, there will be no understanding.

I wish you don't offend believers of any religion in this thread. You can state your opinion without doing so.

Thank you for your post.

Fortunately Typology Central practises freedom of speech, and knows freedom of speech means nothing without the freedom to offend.

Buddhism is not only a religion but also an institution subject to the criminal law. This also applies to Catholicism, Anglicanism, Hinduism, Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, and other institutions.

And both the Judicial Enquiry into Child Abuse in Ireland and the Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse in Australia, have found these institutions guilty of crimes against children, and guilty of the further crime of covering up their crimes against children.

And in spite of your pollyanna view of Buddhism, Buddhism has committed egregious crimes against humanity, and is committing them, as you read, in Myanmar, formerly Burma.

I enjoin you to read the Report of the Irish Judicial Enquiry into Child Abuse, and to read the Reports of the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse.

And you might well ask why there is no such national report in your own country.