User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

Default Tell me about your near death experiences.

As much as you feel comfortable sharing. This is a topic of interest to me I suppose. (I've had two and one was fairly recent so it's on my mind.) How did it happen? Were you changed after mentally or physically? How did it make you feel? Any other thoughts you have?

Tell me because sharing is nice and also I need to synthesize your experiences into my own and reach some sort of weird pure essence of what this means on a broad level but this is too weird to write unless I use white font. Please don't be scared away.
    Last edited by magpie; 10-17-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Other than perhaps one or two situations in the car over the years where I consider myself very lucky, I am not sure I have had any actual near-death experiences.

I have however done some physical things where in the midst of them I knew I was taking a bit of a risk, and if it did not work out I *could* have seriously injured myself. This involved bouldering / shimmying up rocks / through slits, or climbing 14ers, where a few of the areas near summit were dicey and while I had confidence in my abilities I also in the back of my head knew there was a very slight chance something could go poorly and I could plummet down a mountain.

Re was I changed, I don't believe so, other than these moments providing some sober reflection on mortality and life; I think though I've always had a pretty healthy dose of 'Life is short and unpredictable, and I can die at any time'.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes magpie, Abendrot, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I had a 5 year old throw a house brick at me from half way up a block of flats. He missed, but it would really have done some damage if he had hit.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.
    Likes magpie, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/so
    Socionics
    iei Ni

I rolled my ankle while I was squatting 185 lbs. It didn't hurt my ankle so much as it threw me off balance so the bar fell over my head and then I fell back and hit my head on the safety rack. That was the most recent one. I use lifting shoes now.

I was also driving on a narrow mountain road, some guy tried to pass a slow car but didn't see me going the opposite way so I went into his lane to avoid him and lucky the guy he passed was just slow enough that I was able to get back to my lane in time. It didn't effect my that much because there was nothing I could do differently. I'm glad I was able to react though and I think reflexes are very important in general.
    Last edited by that's not my name; 10-18-2016 at 02:57 PM.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

There's another question I want to add to the OP. People who've already answered feel free to answer again @cascadeco @Andy @that's not my name.

I stupidly forgot to ask about semantics. I should know by now that's a requisite on this site whenever you ask a question. What is your definition of a near death experience?
    Likes Xann liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh! ummmm... well... this probably isn't the correct section of the forum for this story

I'd define a near death experience as an experience where you might very well be dead from it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    7 sx/sp

Was on a field trip once with my friends church and we were driving on a bus at night and there was a really bad thunderstorm or a tornado warning or something and the lady a couple rows away from us starting praying about granting us safe entry into heaven or something and I just absolutely completely lost it. Not sure if it was near death for real, but it certainly felt as such.

When I was really little I was at a beach and there were all of these 'big girls'(probably like 8-10 year olds) that were out in the water further than I was and I just thought they were so cool so I started heading out there- but I was way way too small/young and got pulled over by the waves pretty quickly and started going under. My dad had to fish me out of the water sputtering and crying and yeah...

didn't die
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes magpie, meowington liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by miss fortune View Post
    oh! ummmm... well... this probably isn't the correct section of the forum for this story

I'd define a near death experience as an experience where you might very well be dead from it
    wats beth plei
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well one time i had pneumonia, the fever run much higher than what will usually kill a person. I was 22. There were hallucinations, dreams of panic where my limbs where torn off. The tearing off limbs seemed mild and quaint compared to what I was going through and gave a sense of satisfaction and serenity. So when I woke up I was in real panic. This continued for a day or two, after which I was never quite the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]