• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Going Sugar Free

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just cutting the sugar out of my coffee in the morning caused a noticeable change in my weight. Good luck.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yesterday I broke down & got a dessert blended coffee while shopping because no strapless bras fit me and I started my period in the dressing room

I can't imagine anything less than a dessert blended coffee could make a situation like that acceptable.

Watchtower

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't used added sugar for about a year now. No soda, sweets, or anything with hidden sugars either. I do use honey in some recipes occasionally, but not a whole lot. The only sweetener I use is Stevia (I also bake a lot with it).

Following a meal plan, writing down the meals and ingredients helps a lot. It takes some getting used to, and preparation when you have busy days, but it's so worth it.

The sugar cravings disappeared within a few weeks, that's probably the hardest to get through. I got headaches, and I was more irritable and tired. Having some fruit (anything with lower GI will be better) curbed the cravings. I also increased my protein intake which keeps me fuller longer and helps with any cravings.

But I always include fruit at least once a day, I've just noticed it makes me feel much better overall. Carbs are still good. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and natural dairy products without any added sugars or artificial sweeteners are all included daily.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Just cutting the sugar out of my coffee in the morning caused a noticeable change in my weight. Good luck.

I don't use sugar in coffee and I drink unsweetened iced tea pretty exclusively but everyone I know that's done this ^^ has lost at least some weight so good job! I figure cutting sugar (and not replacing it with diet drinks, they cause their own issues) out of beverages has to be easier than foods. I also like La Croix. They have a gazillion flavors with no sugar, no calories - just fizz and fruit.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't use sugar in coffee and I drink unsweetened iced tea pretty exclusively but everyone I know that's done this ^^ has lost at least some weight. I figure cutting sugar (and not replacing it with diet drinks, they cause their own issues) out of beverages has to be easier than foods. I also like La Croix. They have a gazillion flavors with no sugar, no calories - just fizz and fruit.

Agreed. I'd rather drink tons of water, cut out sugary drink, and still enjoy eating most of the foods I love. I'm not ready to give up meat and cheese yet.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed. I'd rather drink tons of water, cut out sugary drink, and still enjoy eating most of the foods I love. I'm not ready to give up meat and cheese yet.

That's my approach as well! Though, I look at it in the sense that I can eat more delicious food if I want. You got to make room for more sushi or Korean BBQ meats.

After you cut the sugar and drink mostly water, you will find that most things are too sweet. I definitely noticed this when I went to Starbucks for the first time in a year. Their drinks were so diabetes inducing that I felt like I could cut my leg off from all that sugar.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't use sugar in coffee and I drink unsweetened iced tea pretty exclusively but everyone I know that's done this ^^ has lost at least some weight so good job! I figure cutting sugar (and not replacing it with diet drinks, they cause their own issues) out of beverages has to be easier than foods. I also like La Croix. They have a gazillion flavors with no sugar, no calories - just fizz and fruit.

I love La Croix! I never drank much soda but quit it altogether years ago. When I've had a sip here and there, it is way too sweet for me now. I generally like mineral waters too or soda water with lemon.

---

My mom was all gung ho, but already it is wavering.... She and my sister went shopping today and my sister talked her into getting pink lemonade, fruit juice and blood orange soda. All of that should be off the table right now. They also got cereal for me, but with added sugar (9 grams/serving...and that is low for a cereal), and so now I feel obligated to eat it. I do eat it with plain kefir milk so maybe that will help, and then my goal for now is >25 grams/day. My sister is going to be the hard one, and she is the one who most needs to make changes (and I, with good health, a healthy weight and a better diet, am the most committed this).

The best way I found to reduce sugar from my diet was by not buying anything processed or with added sugar. This is so that you won't have the urge to feast on something when you know it is hiding in the fridge/pantry. ;)

Cooking your own food so that you know what ingredients are thrown in is best. And if you are short on time, it's good to make a large quantity that can last you the rest of the week so that you don't have to prepare something everyday. Fruits are another great food to snack on if you feel like eating something sweet. And ones like bananas and dates can sweeten something like oatmeal up nicely. I do have a few spoonfuls of sugar in my tea and other things once in a while, so I haven't excluded it completely either. And if you eat out once in a while, don't stress over it and feel free to treat yourself. Deprivation is not good for the mind either.

And sorry about your sister. My father is also on the borderline of becoming diabetic, so I understand the pursuit in wanting to limit sugar as well. As long as one strives to eat a mostly whole foods diet primarily from plants, you should be fine health-wise. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been doing very well. Kept it well under 25 grams/day added sugar the past week, and even at 0 for many dats. Today I did get an iced coffee with "sweet cream", but cut the added syrup to half (which I do for taste - it's too sweet otherwise), which left me with 7 grams added or less (taking into account the milk sugars), and it was still slightly too sweet (could have made it 1/4).
I notice my appetite is already smaller (I guess sweets actually increase apetite), which may be a problem, as I already don't eat a lot.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In the recent past, I have pretty easily reduced my added sugar intake to less than 25 grams/day which is often recommended as the maximum.

English is not my first language so I am curious. What does it mean "added sugar" ? It that the the white crystalline sugar or something else can pass under this category as well ?

(I keep hydrocarbons in general under pretty strict control when it comes to my diet)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
English is not my first language so I am curious. What does it mean "added sugar" ? It that the the white crystalline sugar or something else can pass under this category as well ?

(I keep hydrocarbons in general under pretty strict control when it comes to my diet)

Pretty much...it is any sugar that doesn't occur naturally in a food. I am counting honey & other sweeteners too.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Cucumbers have become an entrenched part of my diet. Convenient, neutral in taste, but versatile if need be. The Japanese variety has a crunchy firmness that I find specifically more adaptable outside the snack arena.

Also committed to the wholefoods 365 coconut popsicles, which I just now realize have 25 grams of sugar but the added xanthan gum offsets any negatives there. But I swim / bike too much to be concerned.

For a quick 5 minute meal, I'll hand shred some kale, toss in arugula, thin slice cucumber on grater. Quickly dice peppers and grapefruit, then dash of pink sea salt n black pepper with a tsp of spirulina. Add mashed sardines and or avocado to give form. Sprouted cashews if available.

It is mellon season BTW. Vamos a la playa. :bunnyd:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sugar free is a good lifestyle change, I am doing that myself. But I wouldnt be too rigid about it. I'ld only avoid industrial sugar, which is pretty easy when you only eat what directly comes from nature.

I am eating paleo and it hasnt only brought me to normal weight from being overweight, but as well has made me feel healthier and fitter. In Germany we have like a billion of bakeries and most people eat for lunch or if they dont have much time to prepare a food, some small sweet thing from the bakery. I totally gave up on that and dont miss it. Sugar is like smoking an addiction. If you dont do it for some time, you dont crave it no more.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A lot of people these days say they are going sugar free, but I don't think they think it means what it does. (Which is keto which is not something I support anyway).

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A lot of people these days say they are going sugar free, but I don't think they think it means what it does. (Which is keto which is not something I support anyway).

Think they mean added-sugar free.

It's quite challenging to cut carbs to the level of ketogenesis (which would also involve reducing fruit intake), so I don't recommend it for metabolically normal people. Adherence is always an issue. A strict keto diet has its uses though, for e.g. with treating epilepsy and diabetes.