• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Soya and lady-bits

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Apparently something in soya mimics estrogen and wreaks havoc with womans hormones.

I hope this is a load of poopie as I love and believe in soya.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I looked into this a while back for myself, as I don't like milk.

Overall, there is no concern unless you have excess oestrogen, and even then it is likely to be more beneficial than harmful.

In general, soy is better.

There are two reasons this comes up - the first is the dairy lobby, which caused quite the uproar... combine that with the hippy association/vegetarian connection, you get quite the backlash for saying you drink soy in certain areas.

The second is that there are notable cases of animals changing to a soy diet and having it influence reproduction and so forth. However, it is also noted that the two common concerns - birds and rats - don't metabolize soy the same way humans do.

Humans are already doing large scale testing on soy products and nothing of note has been found. The absolute most that can be said is that a small segment of the population might be better off not consuming it, while the majority would do better.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Very interesting.

My favourite soymilk brand is Edensoy Extra. Hmm-mm-mm. Even without flavouring it is toooo delicious.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Very interesting.

My favourite soymilk brand is Edensoy Extra. Hmm-mm-mm. Even without flavouring it is toooo delicious.

I'm afraid I stick with Silk - can get it at costco for cheap!

I love it with cereal... so much better than milk!

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have tasted Silk and it is good - especially chocolate, but it has so much sugar that it feels like I am defying the purpose of drinking something healthy. I get a bit anal about these things.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like vitasoy. And various locally-made soy milk brands they sell in asian markets (some delis/lunch places make it themselves too). When I was a kid, I loved Yeo, but it's sort of a thick, dessert-y soy- not for every day use, I'm afraid.

My grandmother loves buying tons of Silk at Costco too- and maybe I'm just imagining it but it always tastes like vanilla to me (like yellow vanilla ice cream)- which is unpleasant to me in a soy milk. I'm possibly projecting this unpleasantness as I once had carton-tasting Silk at a coffee place.

Funny story, once I think I cross-contaminated soy milk and yogurt and the soy milk turned into a tofu-yogurt hybrid over a few days before I figured something was different.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm, that's funny - I have a sugar free version (but fortified!)

I won't drink sweetened soy. Bleh, totally right - destroys the point of it!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had trouble with female pain etc all my life, and soy is a good way to interrupt your body's manufacture of "bad" estrogen by uptaking the good estrogen in soy :) Eat/drink it in good health, Bella! It's not at all a bad thing.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I hope it doesn't do anything to men's systems. Even a tiny bit of estrogenic endocrine disruptor can cause some severe problems in guys. Me and the GF drink Silk soymilk at home all the time. I don't even buy regular milk anymore.

I used to work with estrogen, too. Let me tell you, it's nerve-wracking for a guy when you're weighing out a few milligrams of 99.9% pure estrogen, to make a 1:2000 dilution. The stuff is really fluffy, and the slightest breath will blow it all over the place. I did NOT want that stuff anywhere near my mouth or skin.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I hope it doesn't do anything to men's systems. Even a tiny bit of estrogenic endocrine disruptor can cause some severe problems in guys. Me and the GF drink Silk soymilk at home all the time. I don't even buy regular milk anymore.

I used to work with estrogen, too. Let me tell you, it's nerve-wracking for a guy when you're weighing out a few milligrams of 99.9% pure estrogen, to make a 1:2000 dilution. The stuff is really fluffy, and the slightest breath will blow it all over the place. I did NOT want that stuff anywhere near my mouth or skin.

Oh my word, this is too wonderfully interesting!! SJ Guardhouse is on fiiiyaaa!!

Why did you work with eostrogen? What are you? Is it for real estrogen out of someone's body? Why couldn't it touch you! :happy2::happy:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have found that chasing bunnies, catching them in ones bare hands, and immediately consuming them, increases testosterone levels enough to counteract the estrogen in soy milk.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh my word, this is too wonderfully interesting!! SJ Guardhouse is on fiiiyaaa!!

Why did you work with eostrogen? What are you? Is it for real estrogen out of someone's body? Why couldn't it touch you! :happy2::happy:

I am a chemist, and for a while was trying to measure the levels of endocrine disruptors (like estrogen) in local rivers and streams. The estrogenic compounds I had to weigh were for making standards. If I remember correctly, these kinds of chemicals are not currently targeted by wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs), and so are being released into the environment. My job was to determine what kinds of levels were present below several of the local WWTPs. Too much environmental endocrine disruptors can cause problems in animals' reproductive cycles.

Here is a good page describing the adverse effects of a man having too much estrogen: Google Answers: estrogen
Basically, it can cause all kinds of problems. That's why I'm interested in learning more about this soy milk - estrogen relationship. No estrogen for me, thank you! Furthermore, the amount it takes to be biologically active is tiny. Just a fraction of a milligram in your drinking water (or mouth) can cause some pretty severe problems.

high levels of estrogen can cause reduced
levels of testosterone, fatigue, loss of muscle tone, increased body
fat, loss of libido and sexual function and an enlarged prostate.

Other problems associated with excessive levels of estrogen include

(1) The shut down of normal testicular production of testosterone.
Excess estrogen can saturate testosterone receptors in the
hypothalamus in the brain therefore reducing the signal sent to the
pituitary gland. This in turn reduces the secretion of luteinizing
hormone, which is necessary for the gonads to produce testosterone.

(2) Increasing the body's production of sex hormone-binding globulin
(SHBG). SHBG binds testosterone therefore reducing the amount of the
clinical important free testosterone in the blood available to cell
receptor sites.

(3) A reduced effectiveness of the testosterone replacement therapy
due to excess aromatization of testosterone medications to estrogen.

(4) Long-term health risks including an increased risk of diabetes,
heart disease, and some cancers.

O

Oberon

I have found that chasing bunnies, catching them in ones bare hands, and immediately consuming them, increases testosterone levels enough to counteract the estrogen in soy milk.

It works even better with alligators. :D

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the natura vanilla soymilk a lot. I drink it on it's own or in non-sweet cereals.

I imagine it's probably the same as most things, it's good in moderation, probably bad if you drink it by the bucketload.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP

hahaha I'll have to try this sometime. I occasionally see cottontails hopping around certain places in the city at dusk. My avatar would take on new meaning.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But I was so looking forward to groping Rhinosaur!