User Tag List

First 567

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Here's the nutritional value for Soy vs Milk. Not a lot of options for Soy milk, I'm afraid, so it is a little biased against it!

Data from "Composition of Foods Raw, Processed, Prepared USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 19" (2006)

Generally speaking, I would prefer soy over Dairy - but it does depend on the soy being fortified and not sweetened, and/or the milk being low/skim/etc.

I prefer the full spectrum fortified soy, certainly, over any milk. I eat cheese and yogurt for my dairy.
    Ya, I wouldn't suggest normal cows milk is that great for you either but that's because it is so processed, most nutritional value is lost during pasteurization.

Raw milk is said to be the best, personally I think it's a bit extreme, good on people who do but I don't think it's a big enough issue to go that far, especially considering it's illegal to sell *shrug*

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I asked this of White Raven over at INTPC one day offline. She is very against Soy and the controversy was new to me. She replied that the Japanese often consume soy that has been aged ( fermented ? ) and that this mitigates at least some of the bad effects.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Unfermented is tofu, soy milk and infant soy formula which are the products that have question marks over them. Japanese tend to consume more fermented products like miso and tempeh which are fine.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Ya, I wouldn't suggest normal cows milk is that great for you either but that's because it is so processed, most nutritional value is lost during pasteurization.
    I've had unpasteurized milk. It's thicker and oilier and yellower than real milk.
    The smell of it is...surprising. And it makes your breath smell ... "pungent".

Aside from health and hygiene, it's funny how cosmetically sanitized and airbrushed agricultural products are in the states. Have you seen the veggies and fruits they make available for you at food co-ops?

Not all fruit and vegetables are "ugly" per sae, but when you see the real deal compared to what looks all waxed and shiny and botoxed and mutated gigantically, well, my initial reaction at least was, "I don't want to eat that."

Did you know that modern kale has lost it's nutritional value compared to 'real' kale? Because people don't like bitterness. So it's been made more palatable. But all the nutrients are what causes the bitterness. Funnay. Or not.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, but people in 'modern industrialized society' in the states have gotten very removed from their food, where it comes from, etc.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Aside from health and hygiene, it's funny how cosmetically sanitized and airbrushed agricultural products are in the states. Have you seen the veggies and fruits they make available for you at food co-ops?

Not all fruit and vegetables are "ugly" per sae, but when you see the real deal compared to what looks all waxed and shiny and botoxed and mutated gigantically, well, my initial reaction at least was, "I don't want to eat that."

I've said this before and I'll say it again, but people in 'modern industrialized society' in the states have gotten very removed from their food, where it comes from, etc.
    Absolutely! And same here in Oz. It's amazing when you have real food that ya know, tastes like real food should, it may look unappealing but it tastes so much better. Thing is supermarkets are so convenient and they know people buy on aesthetics so if they make it look good people will spend $$ regardless of the lack of nutrition, seems people think it's still there by default.