User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    One more reason not to order the soy latte.
    I already take evening primrose oil partly coz of fears about the hormones in food.
    Depends why you have soya not cow milk, if you have allergies than soya in moderation shouldn't be too much to worry about, if it's cause you believe it to be healthier go with regular milk.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    No, no, it's okay, read the whole post! We had a chemist here and everything.
    I don't actually drink enough soy milk to make this a real concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Depends why you have soya not cow milk, if you have allergies than soya in moderation shouldn't be too much to worry about, if it's cause you believe it to be healthier go with regular milk.
    I just liked the taste.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

So you know where I'm coming from, I have looked into this in depth as I'm A. Vegetarian and B. Lactose intolerant. Soya is a product I wouldn't give an infant but as an adult I believe in moderation unfermented soya is ok. I believe the claims that it is some kind of health food product are unfounded and basically a marketing ploy but I do use it as a source of protein at times.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    I just liked the taste.
    B-b-but that wasn't one of my options :steam:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm with Trinity on this one. I don't buy soy every time I buy a milk alternative, but I do buy it sometimes. I don't want to load my kids up with unfermented soy but they like Silk Very Vanilla so I get it for them. Mostly they drink almond or hemp milk. Sometimes cow or goat.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Here's the nutritional value for Soy vs Milk. Not a lot of options for Soy milk, I'm afraid, so it is a little biased against it!

Data from "Composition of Foods Raw, Processed, Prepared USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 19" (2006)

Generally speaking, I would prefer soy over Dairy - but it does depend on the soy being fortified and not sweetened, and/or the milk being low/skim/etc.

I prefer the full spectrum fortified soy, certainly, over any milk. I eat cheese and yogurt for my dairy.
    Last edited by ptgatsby; 06-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Moved from SJ Guardhouse.

MBTI
    GONE

I read a 'fringe' theory that there was a conspiracy put out by [insert oppressive group A here] to put soy products in all the food in order to keep the males of [insert oppressed group B here] in a constantly under-masculine state and never able to fully mature.

I've also heard theories and conspiracies that soy is somehow related to cancer or bra cup size?

Actually, I just had a convo about this (seriously) the other day. Dairy, especially cheese, supposedly is bad for your skin and your digestive system and I said how now that I live in a vegan we drink a lot of soy milk. And the woman I spoke with (very much into alternative/holistic therapies) said it was good to switch up soy with rice milk, because soy may affect hormones.

Hey, are we gonna start talking about testosterone, soon?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Actually, I just had a convo about this (seriously) the other day. Dairy, especially cheese, supposedly is bad for your skin and your digestive system and I said how now that I live in a vegan we drink a lot of soy milk. And the woman I spoke with (very much into alternative/holistic therapies) said it was good to switch up soy with rice milk, because soy may affect hormones.

Hey, are we gonna start talking about testosterone, soon?
    You live in a vegan? Is it cramped in there?

I figure it's easy enough to rotate rather than relying on one kind of milk. That way, if any of them are shown to kill you we won't have had too much of it. I don't think any kind of milk is necessary for health but my children do like it. Sometimes we do cow, sometimes soy, sometimes almond, hemp, or rice. I even tried hazelnut milk once. Not as good as I hoped.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Think about it this way. Every man in Japan would have breasts by now if soy were that much of a danger.
    I asked this of White Raven over at INTPC one day offline. She is very against Soy and the controversy was new to me. She replied that the Japanese often consume soy that has been aged ( fermented ? ) and that this mitigates at least some of the bad effects. But here in the USA it is included as a "small print" ingredient in all kinds of stuff. I normally use "Tamari" sauce versus just generic Kikkoman or whatever, but it's a pain in the ass to have to drive way off to Whole Earth to get a bottle or two of Tamari again when I run out. There never seems to be a Whole Earth close by. :steam:
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.