• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sleeping: problems, habits and more

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=26997]CitizenErased[/MENTION]

+ How much do you sleep? Do you think it's enough for you?

my sleep is sporadic... most of the time now i sleep four or six hours... there are times when i sleep three or four hours, then wake up for eight, rinse/wash/repeat... there was a time in my life when i slept two or eight hours a week... i still stay awake for 2-4 days at a time now and then...

+ Do you take naps?

sometimes a nap is all i get for a day

+ Is your sleep light or not?

sometimes... it depends on where i fell asleep...

+ What do you do when you can't sleep?

stay awake

+ Which are the most common reasons of not going to sleep (why do you decide to stay up)/not being able to sleep?

i am thinking to much...

+ What are your habits before going to sleep? Can you sleep anyway if you don't do them?

most of the time i fall asleep by surprise... i have to trick my mind by occupying it with something mindless... if i acknowledge that it is time for sleep, most of the time i can't...

+ Do you ingest/avoid ingesting any drink or food before going to sleep?

it makes no difference... i can fall asleep after drinking multiple pots of coffee

+ What external factors (lights, noises, etc) would prevent you from sleeping/having a good night of sleep?

these things don't change anything

+ Do you have a preferred position to sleep?

on top of or under a partner (if i have one) helps me to sleep... otherwise not really... i can sleep with my ass in chair, one leg over the arm, the other leg against the back of the chair, and my back arched to leave my head on the floor... i have fallen asleep while walking if i have had a rough patch... sometimes i sleep in the fetal position, or sprawled out... i often roll around violently in my sleep if i am alone...

+ Any weird thing you do/consider related to your sleeping habits/bedroom?

i try to be sure that i have my shoes off if i think i may fall asleep... boot rot is no joke... i try to pay attention to who is in the room; i try not to sleep near people i don't trust... sometimes i have lucid dreams, but i never practiced to be able to do this... i have done it since i was a kid... most of the time when a dream becomes lucid i choose to wake up...

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
During the school week, usually 7-ish hours. During the weekend, about 10. I'm refreshed if I can get my 10 hours. 7 is not enough.

+ Do you take naps?
There was a time where I'd come home after school and crash for a couple hours. That's when I realized I really needed to change my sleeping habits. I'm capable of naps but I try not to take them.

No, I'm a pretty deep sleeper.

I usually don't have that problem because I take nightly medication that has a sedative effect. On the rare occasion I can't sleep, I just lay there and daydream.

+ Which are the most common reasons of not going to sleep (why do you decide to stay up)/not being able to sleep?
I'm a night owl. On my own schedule, I'd never go to sleep before midnight. Most of the time I'm up just chilling when everyone else is asleep. If I'm in bed and I can't sleep (again, rare), it's usually because I'm too hot.

+ What are your habits before going to sleep? Can you sleep anyway if you don't do them?

I just have to take my medication. I don't take it for insomnia, but it's used to treat insomnia as well as my condition.

No, I don't care. Caffeine has no effect on me, positive or negative. It might as well be water.

+ What external factors (lights, noises, etc) would prevent you from sleeping/having a good night of sleep?
I need to have a sheet or a blanket. Without something to cover me, I'd never be comfortable. And as I mentioned earlier, I can't be too hot. Temperature is important.

Side sleeper in a semi-fetal position (somewhat funny considering my username).

I have to have my feet covered. My sheet needs to be tucked in so my toes don't poke out. I also want enough sheet to cover my ear and hold in a hug position. When I was three, I imagined a little witch flying in the middle of night and taking a bite out of my ear. I covered my ear that night. It just became a habit. Obviously I don't believe in little witches anymore, but it's just what's comfy now. :)

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I generally need 8 hours, 7 in summer time. It is very important to be in control of my emotions.

+ Do you take naps?
Yes, this happens more and more often as I listen to my body carefully.
The best is after swimming or in mid afternoon.
With essential oil in my house and some light sound, relaxing music or whistling bird

It is deep. I do rarely wake up. When I do it is to go for a night pee.

It hardly happens. When it does it means I am emotionally pissed off and sooner or later I'll let drop my relationship, my job, have a confrontational talk.
When it does it means something isn't clear and my subconscient is sending me a very important blocked by my ego. In this case, My Intuition is trying to guide me and I must listen to it carefully.
I generally wake up to write down what is important to me and what isn't. In the morning I am full of energy or I keep on writing until the problem is solved. Generally such a period is followed by
a few prophetic dreams...

Having fun, reading, some exciting movie, some emails to write. Also, late conversations with my best friends keep me awoken.

I meditate sometimes. Yes I can sleep without meditating first.

I can drink many cups of tea before going to bed. I think people who avoid it do it for a psychological reason (effet placebo)_their own beliefs-
It rarely happens I eat before going to bed, but if I feel very good because of some news or if I spent hours over the phone with a friend, I may eat some biscuits or have a yoghurt or two.

Farting. Snoring. My cat does both but her purrs relax me :smile:

Yes . I lay down on my back first and breath deeply, consciously detaching myself from all what happened/all info I got into during the day.

No :shrug: Nothing is weird as one feels comfortable. I like to sleep bare chest, but even with the canicule, I cover my legs. It seems this is linked to a need for protection (again placebo there).
I also like to have 3 cushions under my head and one under my feet.

And....I need to wish a goodnight to my cat :wubbie:

Thanks for your questions !

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION]

Do you fall asleep in weird places? I once fell asleep under my desk. I was plugging the computer and I thought it was a cool "cave", so I put some cushions and brought the computer down there. When I woke up my back hurt a lot, but I keep using it as the solitude cave. I also read books inside the empty bathtub. I'm a cockroach.

Wow, you're a really heavy sleeper!

I hate people touching me or breathing near me when I sleep. Even if they're not touching me, the heat the other body radiates makes me really nervous.

I have lucid dreams, but they're weird. They're either a dream inception (I realize it's a dream so I wake up and I wake up where I realized it's a dream, so I realize it's still a dream so I wake up... and so forth until I really wake up and I don't really know where I am anymore), or I can consciously make decisions, but don't realize it's a dream.

[MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION]

7 is definitely not enough. 10 sounds glorious!

I never went to sleep before midnight because I adore the silence and calmness of the night, even inside my own head. But now I have to wake up 5:45 am to go to college, so I try to go to bed near 10 pm.

Well, your medication kills two birds with one stone (I think that's the saying in English, right? -In Spanish it's "one shot").

Oh, yesssss, I've never been comfortable not having a sheet or something to cover me, even in summer! I wonder why that is. I sometimes sneak my feet outside, though, or I do this weird thing: stretch my legs and lift them, so the sheet, blanket or whatever falls under my legs, and then I put them down. I always have cold feet (literally). When I have a lot of bed clothes I make them a ball and hug them. Best thing ever.

I always liked your username. My ENTP friend had a hamster called Fetus (not comparing you to the animal, of course). Never asked why that name. The hamster was ill and died while I was taking care of my friend's house, so I put the hamster in a ziploc bag in the freezer, and when he came, we buried it. When I signed in the forum and I saw "Themightyfetus" I thought "he's alive!!" - Silly story

Wow! I always was afraid of the Three Wise Men (in Spanish they're called something like The Magician Kings), and I wondered what 3 kings that could do magic wanted to do inside my house... and they even pretended that I fed their camels! January 6th, I would never sleep.

[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION]

ok

but why

[MENTION=22064]RedAmazoneFriendZone[/MENTION]

I'm interested in the prophetic dreams! How's that? I write my dreams to analyze them in the morning. I never understand quite they fully mean.

Snoring is just awful. I can't sleep with snoring people near. Not only I can't fall asleep, but also I wake up scared. Another sound I HATE is the ones of crickets. During the day they are fine. At night, my assassin instincts arise.

I can't really meditate at night and detach from what happened during the day. I don't know if you know this silly story. A king wanted to turn everything he touched into diamonds (yes, it's a rip-off of Midas), so he called his magician and told him to give him the power to do so. The magician made some gestures with his hands, said some incomprehensible words and then told the king: "you'll be able to turn everything you touch into diamonds, as long as you don't think about chameleons while you're touching things". The king, then, whenever he decided to touch something to make it diamonds, couldn't help but thinking about not having to think about chameleons, so he could never turn anything into diamonds. - The thing with me is that if I think I have to detach myself from X, I'll start thinking in X and never fall asleep.

Pets always need to be wished a goodnight. When I had a dog, I would spend like half an hour saying goodnight, haha

Thanks you for replying! :)

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION]

Do you fall asleep in weird places? I once fell asleep under my desk. I was plugging the computer and I thought it was a cool "cave", so I put some cushions and brought the computer down there. When I woke up my back hurt a lot, but I keep using it as the solitude cave. I also read books inside the empty bathtub. I'm a cockroach.

Wow, you're a really heavy sleeper!

I hate people touching me or breathing near me when I sleep. Even if they're not touching me, the heat the other body radiates makes me really nervous.

I have lucid dreams, but they're weird. They're either a dream inception (I realize it's a dream so I wake up and I wake up where I realized it's a dream, so I realize it's still a dream so I wake up... and so forth until I really wake up and I don't really know where I am anymore), or I can consciously make decisions, but don't realize it's a dream.

it doesn't matter all that much what the place i am in is like when i fall asleep... well, it helps if it is dry... when it is hot it makes me tired...

well, sort of... i can sleep through anything normal for the place... i mean, people can have the stereo cranked and it won't change anything... sudden changes in volume (that are abnormal to where i am) or touching my covers wakes me up... alarm clocks don't... a door opening that shouldn't be wakes me up, but if i am sleeping in the living room it probably won't...

sleeping with other people is a mixed bag... it works for me when it is a woman i feel close to... if i am sleeping near someone that doesn't fit that description i will have trouble falling asleep, or wake up in a half hour or so...

*thinks* i once fell asleep while i was in a hammock hanging in a garage... i woke up face down on concrete... the phone timed it all, so i guess i had been asleep on the ground for about 20 minutes... i am sure i could think of other strange places, but that is the one that comes to mind...

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm interested in the prophetic dreams! How's that? I write my dreams to analyze them in the morning. I never understand quite they fully mean.

You've got to work on it hard. I've been analysing my own dreams for 20 years, now I help people understanding them, it is part of my new job.
You've got to get familiar with both your subconscious and unconscious. Also, you've got to be in touch with your deep desires, symbolism and archetypes.
Let your intuition guide you...

Snoring is just awful. I can't sleep with snoring people near. Not only I can't fall asleep, but also I wake up scared. Another sound I HATE is the ones of crickets. During the day they are fine. At night, my assassin instincts arise.
I love crickets, toads and cigales:D. Unfortunately the cigales are sleeping at 10pm even during the heatwave period those days.

I can't really meditate at night and detach from what happened during the day. I don't know if you know this silly story. A king wanted to turn everything he touched into diamonds (yes, it's a rip-off of Midas), so he called his magician and told him to give him the power to do so. The magician made some gestures with his hands, said some incomprehensible words and then told the king: "you'll be able to turn everything you touch into diamonds, as long as you don't think about chameleons while you're touching things". The king, then, whenever he decided to touch something to make it diamonds, couldn't help but thinking about not having to think about chameleons, so he could never turn anything into diamonds. - The thing with me is that if I think I have to detach myself from X, I'll start thinking in X and never fall asleep.
Thanks for your story :rotfl: That's just my state of mind, and that works pretty well for me ! I used to fall asleep with music to avoid my feelings when I was a teenager.
Nowadays, I can only fall asleep listening to my inner-self and intimate thoughts/feelings first, so that I could be ready to have a good day the day after...
It is extremely important as I'm psychically preparing myself to be creative.

Pets always need to be wished a goodnight. When I had a dog, I would spend like half an hour saying goodnight, haha

I spend half an hour telling her good morning... Yes pets do need a lot of attention. They depend on us and they somewhat know it I guess.

:bye:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=22064]RedAmazoneFriendZone[/MENTION]

That sounds like a very cool job! I'd be afraid of tainting the person's dream with my own interpretation. I think I fail to understand most of my dreams (some even if convoluted are really basic metaphors of what happened during the day, or related to things I've seen) is because they're always cluttered with objects, and each of them has its own color and smell and texture, and the "me" in the dream recollects all the information, even the shadow of the objects on the ground. When I go to the computer to write them down (if it's morning, if not I just grab a notebook that's near the bed and write key words), the depiction of the dream is not a 10-line text, it's a short novella. I add all the imagery (with its 5-sense description) the way it made me feel, what it reminded me of, how it added up to the whole setting of the dream. I sometimes go to the Pantone catalog and attach the "right" colour to each object/atmosphere being described, or draw the faces of weird characters, interesting signs or shops. If I had to make a digital animation of the dream, I'd have all the information needed.

Hahaha, I'm glad you liked the story!