• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Chapstick Work?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My lips have been so chapped lately (but it's summer aren't they supposed to be chapped in the winter?) and I want to know if it is worth it to invest in chapstick.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Get Aquaphor lip balm, or even just plain Aquaphor. Chapstick - the branded product - is garbage. Never worked well for me. Apply Aquaphor, or even plain petroleum jelly (Vaseline)to your lips right at bedtime each night, & the dryness will go away pretty much instantly. Creates a barrier to protect the skin from moisture loss.

My dermatologist & reconstructive surgeon suggested these, to protect my lips (some skin medications I'm on had an initial side effect of harsh skin peeling, especially on/near the mouth) & help minimize scars. Never went back to Chapstick or Chapstick-like products. I found all the "cooling menthol" or gimmicky "flavored" kinds to be irritating to my skin, and even the plain, classic Chapstick wasn't as effective as Aquaphor.

The plain Aquaphor ointment is good for bedtime - A 1.75oz tube should last you a little over a year. Try to avoid the jar packaging that it's also available in. Too easy to introduce bacteria/they can get grody.

300.jpg

The small spf30 lip balm is what I use during the day. It's a dollar or two more than most lip protectants, but it's well worth it.

51LLddZwjiL._AC_UL320_SR230,320_.jpg

UV exposure (acute &/or longterm, doesn't have to involve a sunburn) can lead to dry lips/irritation, so the spf is definitely a bonus.

Chapped lips can also be a sign of mild to moderate dehydration. You may not feel thirsty at all, but it's still possible you're not taking in enough water. Can't hurt to up the daily fluid intake.

Avoid licking your lips - the constant wetting & evaporation can cause paradoxical dryness/inflammation. Sometimes people aren't aware of how often they do this, or that it can be a contributing factor.

:drwho:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My lips have been so chapped lately (but it's summer aren't they supposed to be chapped in the winter?) and I want to know if it is worth it to invest in chapstick.

They can be chapped by wind, sun, allergies...anything that's removing moisture from your lips anytime of the year. I wouldn't use Chapstick at all. Aquaphor is excellent, as been mentioned, Carmex, Burts Bees and Blistex. You want a barrier to stop chapping in the future but if they are already cracked, something medicated will work to heal them. Another thing is to use an lip exfoliator - I like Philosophy but ELF makes a good cheaper one. It helps them from get damaged to begin with.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Does it put a layer of wax around your lips to retain moisture?

Yes, yes it does

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Dehydration will cause chapped lips quite easily, as will licking one's lips frequently. It comes from internal and external factors.

Chapstick protects the superficial skin and does make a difference. If you hate the feel just put a thick brand on at night. It won't prevent chapping from internal dehydration, but it will prevent chapped lips from painful cracks.

Chapstick isn't too expensive. I have about 6 tubes scattered in my most frequented areas like my bed and the bathroom.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes it can help, but there are other factors to consider.

Is Chapstick Addictive? | Greatist

I used to think I needed it, and then I started drinking more water, and I didn't get chapped lips anymore.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes it can help, but there are other factors to consider.

Is Chapstick Addictive? | Greatist

I used to think I needed it, and then I started drinking more water, and I didn't get chapped lips anymore.

Drinking more water definitely helps, my lips aren't nearly as dry as they were when I was younger, because now I drink 3+ liters of water a day.
But, they'll still get dry in the winter months especially, as well as after hiking/being outside a lot (though it is extremely dry where I live, so that's part of it.

I too love Burts Bees lip balm!!

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Try vaseline.

I had chapped lips from being sick and I put vaseline on them twice and they are all better.

Like a charm.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
It does for me, but I only have chapped lips in the winter time. Still, this year I didn't have chapstick and I needed some badly one night so I ended up using organic coconut oil and my morning they were nearly better...so I stuck with it. Try it sometime!

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been using the Aquaphor Healing Ointment (liquid gel) + Burts Bees Mango lip balm (waxy solid) after I exfoliate my lips with my Clarisonic (you could gently scrub your lips with a toothbrush). My lips have been the best they have ever been... they used to be super dry and cracked all the time.

I think the Aquaphor adds moisture and the lip balm locks it in.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes it works. Buy the cheapest one at the gas station, because there isn't really a great deal of variation in how it works. It's a jar of fragrant wax or a tube. If the air has a certain amount of dryness in it, you'd be foolish not to have chapstick. I let mine melt in the car every day and am still thankful for it when I need it.

redpilot

Chapstick never worked out for me either so I tried finding another product and I really like Burt's Bees.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used burt's Bees for the past few months and it seems to work. I need to avoid playing with it so I don't break it though.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I keep losing of breaking my chap stick. I need to buy a few and bring on with me, and keep a few at home so I don't have to buy a new one everyone it gets lost. I could also do a better job with closing my bad all the way...

StrawberryJam

MBTI Type
INTJ
Burts Bee is a better choice for me. My lips chap every now and then. Sometimes I use organic honey and sugar as a lip scrub.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Burts Bee is a better choice for me. My lips chap every now and then. Sometimes I use organic honey and sugar as a lip scrub.

My mom gave me a lip scrub, and I just use it when the skin is peeling off my lips. I say it works pretty well.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My lips get chapped/I pick at them so it's like it works and it doesn't for me. IDK. I just fidget a lot :(

I use blistex a lot and I like that. Burt's Bees is okay/kind of drying for me.