• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

stupid question

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
LOL, I see you read and understood the article then. :rolli: Well, I'll just pray that it does pass through.

I skimmed it. and now I'm actually going to read it.

read it understood it, but still don't think it's a problem. if I die, but I'm not going to. so that's not an issue

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Dude, I think you need to get a hobby. That doesn't involve coins. Or putting things in holes. Wow that sounds dirty. But I stand by it!

heart

heart on fire
Okay, so they are saying here not so bad in adults, just maybe get copper inbalance if it isn't excreeted:

Coin Ingestion, an Unexpected Finding at Colonoscopy: Case Report

from Medscape General Medicine [TM]
Posted 02/11/2003
Matthew J. Brookes, MB, ChB, Alison M. Brind, MB

"...A review of 10 years of experience with ingested foreign bodies, in 101 patients of all ages (9 months to 87 years), revealed that 46% had spontaneous passage of the foreign body. Endoscopic removal of retained foreign body was performed in 43%, and an operation was required in 12%. If the foreign body reached the stomach, 80% of these subsequently passed unimpeded, and 20% required either endoscopic or surgical removal. The most common foreign bodies were coins (15%) or bones (15%). In the group requiring surgery, 7% had a perforation, though none of these occurred in coin ingestion.[2]

From a literature review, it seems ingested coins very rarely cause symptoms or complications in adults. Pyloric obstruction due to an ingested coin has been reported in an adult[6] and was successfully treated by endoscopic removal. Zinc-induced copper deficiency has also been reported in patients who ingest multiple coins, which are usually retained in the stomach.[7,8] Once beyond the stomach, complications of foreign body ingestion seem dependent on the size and nature of the foreign body, but complications from coins in the lower gastrointestinal tract are very rare. Perforation of a Meckel's diverticulum, by coin ingestion, has been reported in a 25-year-old woman, who underwent subsequent excision of the diverticulum and removal of the coin. Although colonic perforation has been reported with chicken bone ingestion,[9] there are no reports of similar occurrences with colonic coins..."

heart

heart on fire
Hey, Purple I am sorry for the posts I made here if they caused any undue worry, I just always remember hearing that pennies were different from other coins and could cause stomach problems, apparently I was reading that more seriously than I should have, in which case I am sorry. I know pennies in particular are really bad news for dogs to swallow, but then maybe becauase their systems are way different.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Hey, Purple I am sorry for the posts I made here if they caused any undue worry, I just always remember hearing that pennies were different from other coins and could cause stomach problems, apparently I was reading that more seriously than I should have, in which case I am sorry. I know pennies in particular are really bad news for dogs to swallow, but then maybe becauase their systems are way different.

no worries. :hug:

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Wow, well then maybe if you try a second one you'll be better than even now!

Wait...dont follow that advice...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Wow, well then maybe if you try a second one you'll be better than even now!

Wait...dont follow that advice...

actually I decided to see if a dime would or wouldn't get stuck. it didn't. I now know the approximate size of my nostril.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
actually I decided to see if a dime would or wouldn't get stuck. it didn't. I now know the approximate size of my nostril.

stop.it.

NOW.

You're hurting my stomach. OMG, you're my favorite person on here officially.