User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Pre-pregnant?!?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I actually found out i was pregnant because a doctor forced me to take a pregnancy test when i went in for an upper respiratory infection. I had no idea i was pregnant, especially since my periods have never been normal, so i'm really very happy they tested me and asked questions before prescribing me medication that could have been harmful to my baby; However, i do understand the frustration. It was especially frustrating when i was a teenager, and was not sexually active.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I agree with scanty here. I was out of town and had to go to the ER a couple of months ago and I needed a pelvic X-ray. They of course asked "is there any chance you could be pregnant," and while it was 99.9% certain that I was not, I didn't mind doing the test anyway. It really could have been a bad scene if I were.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Interesting article in the NY Times health section on the idea that women of a childbearing age are treated differently by the medical profession since there's always the lingering fear that any medical treatment may affect thier unborn child if they ARE pregnant.

I've run into that going to the doctor before with dialogues something like this:

me- *coughs horribly* hello

dr- when was the date of your last period? are you pregnant?

me- um... no, I just have this cough

dr- well, we have to make sure that you're not pregnant so that we don't have to worry that the medicine we may give you may harm the fetus.

me- what fetus? I'm not f*&^ing pregnant! :steam:

Seriously- what's wrong with doctors these days?!?
    Maybe they've had too many lawsuits.

I was put on Accutane once and would have had to endure regular pregnancy tests except that I had already had my tubes cut and cauterized, so thankfully it was unnecessary.
    Last edited by INTJMom; 09-05-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: wrong drug name

MBTI
    istp

this happens to me all the time, stop complaining

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

My friend's husband was once asked if he was sure that he wasn't pregnant when he went to the doctor, then they looked up and realized he was a guy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

When I was 13 I got really quite ill with some problems with my stomach and srsly the amount of pregnacy tests they made me do! I know in their eyes it was possible that I could be pregnant and that could be what was wrong, but still xD every doctor or nurse I saw asked 'is it possible you could be pregnant' in a sympathetic hushed voice cos my mum was sitting right next to me, yeah like a 13 year old is going to tell you they've been sleeping around with a parent listening in xDDD
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm in the Army, and everytime there's some sort of mobilization, or shots to be given or anything they herd all of us like cattle and round us up into the lab for a cup sample so they can get results for pregnancy. One girl when we first got our initial warning orders in June '07 found out she was pregnant because of that test, but we can't even go get our hearing checked until we have that piece of paper in our hands. One time a friend of mine was playing around and wrote "positive lol!" in pencil above it.. They made her RETAKE the test.

Its annoying, and frustrating, but necessary. There's no real graceful way of saying "Well some of you bitches lie so we gotta test all of ya'll!" (well maybe slightly more graceful than that..) but rest assured I feel just as much like cattle being branded as ya'll do when I have to do that. We have to take drug tests every month too, I'm pretty much an expert at pissing in a cup.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm pretty much an expert at pissing in a cup.
    I'm pretty sure that's a marketable job skill. Somewhere?
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    yupp

The only issue I have is I'm not getting any. So taking that test would just remind me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a marketable job skill. Somewhere?
    Man, if it was I could be rich. I think they make you pee in a cup every time you go to an OB appointment which gets really fun when you are nearly full-term and you're going in every week.

Talk about feeling like cattle.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers