User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,717

    Default 15 Thing No One Tells You About Chronic Pain as a 20-Something

    https://www.yahoo.com/health/15-thin...994261648.html

    1. Sometimes you feel like a lab rat/medical experiment gone awry.

    “House M.D.” doesn’t even begin to cover all the weird treatments and experiments you’ve undergone to aid your health. Your “medical team” becomes the people you know and hear from most.
    Yes, I have actually said that my life is sort of like a long episode of "House" except I'm not dying and there aren't any attractive women. It's nice to know there are other people out there who understand.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes gromit, Qlip, Giggly liked this post

  2. #2
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    You must have called me here because you need a hug. Request granted:

    Tell me more about your situation.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  3. #3
    [bento boxed] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,252

    Default

    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post

  4. #4
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,000

    Default

    some aspects sound quite similar to being a younger person who is a recovering addict and I can sympathize with that a good deal (and I know it's not really equal because the addict category brings it upon themselves)... it sucks and can make parts of a normal social life for the age group super awkward. Also the whole "do I tell this person?" thing... ewwww

    other parts though... can't really imagine that
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #5
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,626

    Default

    I'm actually taking a course as part of my program about the neurological factors contributing to chronic pain and ways that we as physical therapists can assist in modifying those neurological factors and help people experience less pain and have more endurance and energy and ability to do the things they want to do with their lives. I was really excited when I saw this as an option for the electives we can choose from, since I've worked with people with chronic pain in my internships and had no idea how to best help them.

    From what I'm learning in the course, it does seem like there is a bit of trial and error, it's not an exact science, and each person experiences pain a little differently and responds a to different things a little bit differently.

    Have you heard of the book "Explain Pain"? It's a little bit goofy at times but I think they break down the latest understanding of pain in a way that the average person can understand. It's one of the textbooks for my course and I like it a lot.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  6. #6
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    You may want to read Chapter 4 of Emanuel Revici's textbook "Research in Physiopathology As Basis of Guided Chemotherapy With Special Application to Cancer". You can find it on the net.

    Pain is the principle clinical manifestation characterizing the next phase of the disease. As we shall explain in greater detail later, pain arises from changes in the pH of the intercellular fluid that bathes sensorial nerve endings.
    For one thing, it was noted that in some patients with chronic pain -- assoicated with tumors, arthritis or other conditions - the pain intensity was not constant. In many of these patients, variations in pain intensity could be seen to follow a pattern. Although the variations usually are referred to as 'spontaneous', we could show that they were related to the time of day.
    In one group, pain was severe in the morning and diminished toward evening, while in another group, little or no pain was felt in the morning and exacerbations occured in the evening
    Basically, pathological pain is associated with tissular pH changes; some pain is associated with high pH and some with low pH. There are chemical agents (also described in Chapter 4) that will correct these imbalances and eliminate the pain. Interesting theory. He's done the research, but this textbook has been largely forgotten and ignored by mainstream medicine.
    Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."

  7. #7
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    You must have called me here because you need a hug. Request granted:

    Tell me more about your situation.
    Thanks. It's because of the "tag all friends" feature.

    These days the sinus/ear problems are overshadowing the orthopedic stuff. The ENT said the CT scan didn't really shed any light on my problems, which is frustrating. My left frontal sinus seems to be doing poorly. Maybe the left maxillary sinus too. The allergist the ENT referred me to said I don't seem to have much in the way of allergies (I sure didn't see that coming) and that it's mostly nonallergic rhinitis. Balloon sinuplasty might be the way to go, but the ENT said he wasn't going to try to twist my arm because it's only a maybe, and an expensive one at that.

    My ears have been giving me a lot of trouble too. Pressure, pain, dizziness. Maybe I need ear tubes. It's kind of amazing that I never had them before considering I got ear infections all the time when I was little.

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I'm actually taking a course as part of my program about the neurological factors contributing to chronic pain and ways that we as physical therapists can assist in modifying those neurological factors and help people experience less pain and have more endurance and energy and ability to do the things they want to do with their lives. I was really excited when I saw this as an option for the electives we can choose from, since I've worked with people with chronic pain in my internships and had no idea how to best help them.

    From what I'm learning in the course, it does seem like there is a bit of trial and error, it's not an exact science, and each person experiences pain a little differently and responds a to different things a little bit differently.
    I've had physical therapy a couple times. Once for my shoulder and once for my knee. I've been trying to ride my bike faithfully this summer. I have to be careful not to push too hard or my quad might pull my kneecap out of alignment and make it seize up. My lowest gear is 24:30, so I can just crawl up the tough hills if I need to.

    It recently dawned on me that I should probably go to the gym to work on some of this stuff in conjunction with cycling. The leg extension machine at 24 Hour Fitness has adjustable range of motion, which means I wouldn't have to start the extention from a deep knee bend. My orthopedist and the physical therapy folks said to avoid that when I'm working on my quads.

    Have you heard of the book "Explain Pain"? It's a little bit goofy at times but I think they break down the latest understanding of pain in a way that the average person can understand. It's one of the textbooks for my course and I like it a lot.
    Never heard of it. Thanks.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes gromit liked this post

  8. #8
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,848

    Default

    It is a full time job, except you don't get to take any sick days. I remember Christmas last year I spent 2 days unable to sit at all because the weight of my own upper body would throw my hips into immense amounts of pain. I pretty much stayed dehydrated because it was easier to be thirsty as shit than to go to the bathroom. It was the first time I needed to resort to muscle relaxers as well.

    The worst is that I have so many good days in a row that it feels like someone hands me this when it flares up.

    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  9. #9
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I've had physical therapy a couple times. Once for my shoulder and once for my knee. I've been trying to ride my bike faithfully this summer. I have to be careful not to push too hard or my quad might pull my kneecap out of alignment and make it seize up. My lowest gear is 24:30, so I can just crawl up the tough hills if I need to.

    It recently dawned on me that I should probably go to the gym to work on some of this stuff in conjunction with cycling. The leg extension machine at 24 Hour Fitness has adjustable range of motion, which means I wouldn't have to start the extention from a deep knee bend. My orthopedist and the physical therapy folks said to avoid that when I'm working on my quads.

    Never heard of it. Thanks.
    Yeah that a great idea

    You can also do mini squats which don't put you into deep knee flexion but you still get a workout to the quads and glutes.



    If you want any other modified exercise ideas, let me me know the muscles you wanna work on and any pain limitations!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post

  10. #10
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Yeah that a great idea

    You can also do mini squats which don't put you into deep knee flexion but you still get a workout to the quads and glutes.

    If you want any other modified exercise ideas, let me me know the muscles you wanna work on and any pain limitations!
    Thanks. In physical therapy I did the one where you step up on the box sideways with one leg. You probably have a better name for it.

    My orthopedist has reminded me on a few occasions that it would be good for me to work on my hamstrings too. I just can't do seated leg curls. For some reason it causes pain on the right leg and runs kind of rough. Assuming I'm identifying these parts correctly, the pain is at the tendons at the bottom of the semitendinous and semimembranous. Lying leg curls aren't pleasant, but they're more doable. IIRC, the nearest 24 Hour Fitness also has a lying leg curl machine, so that seems like the way to go.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Similar Threads

  1. a thing to keep in mind about functions (Ni as example)
    By garbage in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM
  2. Things you do that you think no one else does
    By Snuggletron in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
  3. What Do You Do When No One Believes You?
    By Idec Sdawkminn in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
  4. Tell Me About the People You Love
    By nolla in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
  5. What they don't tell you about eating boogers...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO