• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Facial Structure, Brain Abnormalities Reveal Forumla to Early Detect Autism

heart

heart on fire
MU Researchers Study Facial Structures, Brain Abnormalities to Reveal Formula for Earlier Detection of Autism
Aug. 18, 2008

"COLUMBIA, Mo. – Recently, Harvard researchers reported that children with autism have a wide range of genetic defects, making it nearly impossible to develop a simple genetic test to identify the disorder. Now, University of Missouri researchers are studying 3-D imaging to reveal correlations in the facial features and brain structures of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which will enable them to develop a formula for earlier detection of the disorder. The researchers anticipate their work also will reveal genetic clues that can direct additional research. Autism is a brain disorder characterized by a complex of social, communication and behavioral difficulties...

The U.S. Department of Defense awarded Duan, in collaboration with researchers at the MU Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, a $110,000 grant to create a facial imaging system that will make identical measurements of the faces of children with ASD. Additionally, the NARSAD Foundation, the world’s leading charity dedicated to mental health research, awarded Duan the prestigious Young Investigator Award and $60,000 to fund 3-D imaging of various segments of the brain in children with ASD. The projects also are supported by a $100,000 contribution from other MU sources and $30,000 in Research Scholar Funds...."

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
This is interesting, heart, and something I've thought about for some time.

There are many genetic markers for various types of differences in people. Some have been verified by research and I have noticed some over the years which are just good hunches on my part and often ring true.

We are familiar with the facial differences in children born with Down Syndrome. Fetal Alcohol
Syndrome has it's sometimes distinct facial qualities. Types of dwarfism also.

Did you know that a streak of white hair can be a marker for familial deafness?

When I worked in one job which involved meeting many sociopaths I noticed a certain formation of ears which seemed to accompany the disorder. I've chased around on the computer trying to find some correlation with no luck. But I know when I see that type of ear I am on my guard.

I knew a woman who worked with sex abuse victims who said that she noticed a high incidence of pear-shaped men among those who had been sexually abused as children.

Sounds like the old phrenology at work. Heh. Well. Or buttology.

Here's an interesting fact: Physicians often pick up a certain oddness in the appearance of some newborns and they sometimes mark it on the birth records as FLK. What does that stand for? Funny-looking kid!