• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should I do this every day?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5:25 AM - Walk Briskly for 1 hour and feed dogs.
6:30 AM - Take a swim.
7:30 AM - Do back exercises.
7:45 AM - Light Yoga (Youtube).
8:20 AM - Breakfast.
8:50 AM - Prepare for day.

I start tomorrow.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you have the time, most certainly.

I'm trying to avoid exercises which will hurt my joints, but I think I read somewhere you should alternate routines every day. Is that true?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION] is a personal trainer, so I especially want to here his thoughts. I consider him an expert here if there was one.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
5:25 AM - Walk Briskly for 1 hour and feed dogs.
6:30 AM - Take a swim.
7:30 AM - Do back exercises.
7:45 AM - Light Yoga (Youtube).
8:20 AM - Breakfast.
8:50 AM - Prepare for day.

I start tomorrow.

It will be hard to sustain almost two hours of exercise every day. I would probably shoot for more conservative goals - like 30 minutes to an hour.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It will be hard to sustain almost two hours of exercise every day. I would probably shoot for more conservative goals - like 30 minutes to an hour.
Well...ok...
Should I half the time of everything or should I throw something out?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Perhaps alternate what you do each day. One day, do the walk, and the next day do the swimming and yoga?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps alternate what you do each day. One day, do the walk, and the next day do the swimming and yoga?

What a good idea! I'll edit my alarms to do it that way.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Agreed. Those all sound like excellent exercises, but you'll get sick of doing the same thing every day very quickly. I would shoot for an hour a day and switch it up. :)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Agreed. Those all sound like excellent exercises, but you'll get sick of doing the same thing every day very quickly. I would shoot for an hour a day and switch it up. :)

Today I walked/ran for an hour--that is to say I ran till I got sick, then walked the rest of the way, very much like grade school gym class--then I cooled off in the pool a while (about 45 minutes), before treading water in a gentle, casual manner for 15 minutes. I then dried off and came inside, sitting a few minutes before doing those stretches the doctor wanted me to do to strengthen the muscles supporting my spine without further agitating them. I skipped the yoga and breaststrokes because I got pretty tired from the run/walk and was seeing black spots in my vision.

That said, I joined a fitness discussion on another forum and they told me I was doing it wrong and there was this one app that helped them: Couch 2 5K. I'll try that sucker out, but I'll probably switch the run out for YouTube cardio tomorrow. Cardio is my focus right now, plus a little back rehab.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pretty much what I did, except I still dipped in the pool to cool off.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION] is a personal trainer, so I especially want to here his thoughts. I consider him an expert here if there was one.

Ha, thanks for the vote of confidence. That sounds like a good amount of light activity. One doesn't have to go crazy in the gym to be healthy. I can't take all this in at the moment, which I'd like to do before giving any more advice, but sounds like you're on the right track. ACTIVITY. I'll return.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ha, thanks for the vote of confidence. That sounds like a good amount of light activity. One doesn't have to go crazy in the gym to be healthy. I can't take all this in at the moment, which I'd like to do before giving any more advice, but sounds like you're on the right track. ACTIVITY. I'll return.

The last run I had hurt my back (I've got a bad back, a bad neck, and bad knees), so I rested a few days. Then I helped my mom landscape...just going to do easy, low impact exercise. I spoke with my doctor and he prescribed some exercises that won't hurt me, but that will let me build up.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Today I walked/ran for an hour--that is to say I ran till I got sick, then walked the rest of the way, very much like grade school gym class--then I cooled off in the pool a while (about 45 minutes), before treading water in a gentle, casual manner for 15 minutes. I then dried off and came inside, sitting a few minutes before doing those stretches the doctor wanted me to do to strengthen the muscles supporting my spine without further agitating them. I skipped the yoga and breaststrokes because I got pretty tired from the run/walk and was seeing black spots in my vision.

That said, I joined a fitness discussion on another forum and they told me I was doing it wrong and there was this one app that helped them: Couch 2 5K. I'll try that sucker out, but I'll probably switch the run out for YouTube cardio tomorrow. Cardio is my focus right now, plus a little back rehab.

Hm...I don't know that much about fitness, but I don't think you should exercise until you get sick. That's a bit much.
And C25K is great! It's gotten me up to an okay level of running (that's saying something for an unathletic slowpoke like me). :)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hm...I don't know that much about fitness, but I don't think you should exercise until you get sick. That's a bit much.
And C25K is great! It's gotten me up to an okay level of running (that's saying something for an unathletic slowpoke like me). :)
I didn't know hardly anything about fitness. I'm learning, though.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
i would walk on off days that you stretch on. Believe it or not core strenght helps prevent joint issues because it keeps your center of gravity stable.

I would do planks and pullups eventually and very light weights with 25-50 reps....but i wouldn't do that going in the gym and swinging them around..

in the beginning biking is great...get some audio books or something fun to listen to or watch and just sit and bike slowly for 40+ minutes every other day. On your off days stretch and do planks. Then when you've build up enough leg, and core strength, after a few months biking, try running once in a while at a very, very slow speed...or doing hill sprints on grass..

I want to start swimming soon but haven't so that is something i can't comment on but people swear by it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i would walk on off days that you stretch on. Believe it or not core strenght helps prevent joint issues because it keeps your center of gravity stable.

I would do planks and pullups eventually and very light weights with 25-50 reps....but i wouldn't do that going in the gym and swinging them around..

in the beginning biking is great...get some audio books or something fun to listen to or watch and just sit and bike slowly for 40+ minutes every other day. On your off days stretch and do planks. Then when you've build up enough leg, and core strength, after a few months biking, try running once in a while at a very, very slow speed...or doing hill sprints on grass..

I want to start swimming soon but haven't so that is something i can't comment on but people swear by it.

I just about have to do this if I want to lower my blood pressure, improve my attention span, cure my depression, raise my energy levels, ease my anxiety, and relieve my pain in one solid swoop without spending a fortune. I'm also trying to get myself started on a low-sodium, low-carb, low sugar diet. Not much luck with keeping myself to it, but I'm about to get really strict since I find myself unable to cheat responsibly.

Right now, my resting heart rate is 120 BPM, and my BPH is 103/152. Blood sugar came up 207mg/dl. Not bad, but not great, either. I'm not sure if that's relevant to setting a goal or not...

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I just about have to do this if I want to lower my blood pressure, improve my attention span, cure my depression, raise my energy levels, ease my anxiety, and relieve my pain in one solid swoop without spending a fortune. I'm also trying to get myself started on a low-sodium, low-carb, low sugar diet. Not much luck with keeping myself to it, but I'm about to get really strict since I find myself unable to cheat responsibly.

Right now, my resting heart rate is 120 BPM, and my BPH is 103/152. Blood sugar came up 207mg/dl. Not bad, but not great, either. I'm not sure if that's relevant to setting a goal or not...

your diet is more important than your exercise out-right...if your diet isn't relatively clean then your exercise will work against you and just stress you out.

Instead of worrying about sugar and fat worry about quality of food. A food has quality if it is unprocessed, natural, high in nutrients, and easy to digest.

To know if it's processed just read the label...most foods with labels are processed. Eat vegetables, fruits, and lean white meats, or fish...stay away from red meats and stay away from things that are processed. Eating processed food will wreck you. Fast food is processed food. If you must have fast food go for a chicken sandwhich that isn't fried....no fried foods btw.

Natural foods - some have sugar, like fruits, but you should still eat them....some have fat like peanut butter, but you should still eat them....nuff said...

If you have a sweet tooth try to supplement your normal sweet eating with a piece of high percentage dark chocolate (low sugar chocolate) with fruit and yogurt.

- - - Updated - - -

your diet is more important than your exercise out-right...if your diet isn't relatively clean then your exercise will work against you and just stress you out.

Instead of worrying about sugar and fat worry about quality of food. A food has quality if it is unprocessed, natural, high in nutrients, and easy to digest.

To know if it's processed just read the label...most foods with labels are processed. Eat vegetables, fruits, and lean white meats, or fish...stay away from red meats and stay away from things that are processed. Eating processed food will wreck you. Fast food is processed food. If you must have fast food go for a chicken sandwhich that isn't fried....no fried foods btw.

Natural foods - some have sugar, like fruits, but you should still eat them....some have fat like peanut butter, but you should still eat them....nuff said...

If you have a sweet tooth try to supplement your normal sweet eating with a piece of high percentage dark chocolate (low sugar chocolate) with fruit and yogurt.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

- - - Updated - - -

I've already found some new recipes. Recipes for Diabetes, High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure | Prevention

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I don't get...I'm doing better, but I can still barely make it past week 1.