User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think PMS is a real phenomenon?

3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, including directly affecting mood and emotions

3 100.00%
  • Yes, but does not directly affect mood and emotions

0 0%
  • No Opinion

0 0%
  • No, PMS, in its entirety is a myth

0 0%

Thread: Myth or reality? PMS and Mood Swings

Default Myth or reality? PMS and Mood Swings

A review of studies on PMS was conducted a few years ago, and the conclusion may be surprising: There is no clear link between women’s negative moods and the pre-menstrual phase of their cycles.

PMS may not exist, research shows | U of T News

This goes against one of the most popular beliefs surrounding women's emotional state during (and before) menstruation.

Your thoughts?

There's a nifty poll above!!

My personal stance: While I do agree with medical and physical symptoms of PMS, such as breast tenderness, cramps, feelings of bloating, even, diarrhea for some, I don't think we become irrational beings once a month, who are ruled by our emotions because of PMS. Do I get moody during that time? It depends.......on how bad my physical symptoms are. Feeling like Freddy Kruger is scraping at my uterus from the inside out, aka, cramps, does not make me feel like rainbows and sunshine. I get cranky, and irritable, and want to just take pain meds and curl up and away from the world, when a certain month, the pain gets really bad. Other (most) months, when there are no physical ailments, I'm going on as I normally would, and my mood is the same as it would be any other day.

4w5 sx/sp

I think that I only get mood-related PMS symptoms when I'm on hormonal birth control. I get worse cramps when I'm not on it though.

Unfortunately I would have to disagree. I would say I'm affected, slightly, but its still there...

Just the other day my eyes started to water during a normal conversation, its like your emotions arent yours for a couple of days.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

My moods can shift noticeably when my hormone levels drop too much.
    (I can get cranky, shaky, teary, paranoid, etc.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My moods can shift noticeably when my hormone levels drop too much.
    (I can get cranky, shaky, teary, paranoid, etc.)
    I agree. Hormones will affect mood. There's a biological explanation to that. However, all studies done on women with PMS, have shown that their "circulation level of hormones" are normal, during. But that the signal from the hormones can be affecting the mood.

Here's a link:

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Causes - eMedicineHealth

PMS and PMDD are thought to result from an interaction between the changing sex hormone levels during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle and neurotransmitters in the brain, particularly the neurotransmitter serotonin, in susceptible women. While hormone levels are generally normal in women with PMS, the individual's response to the hormones and their changing levels may be different or abnormal.

Hormonal cycling affects the level of serotonin, a brain chemical that regulates many functions, including mood and sensitivity to pain. Compared to women who do not have PMS, some women who experience PMS have lower levels of serotonin in their brains prior to their periods. (Low serotonin levels are commonly associated with depression. Popular selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant medicines such as fluoxetine [Prozac], sertraline [Zoloft], and paroxetine [Paxil] lift depression by raising levels of serotonin in parts of the brain.)

EDIT, to add: clarification

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    5w4 sp/sx

I don't know about my hormone levels, but my cramps can be painful enough to make me very cranky indeed.
    Likes N/A liked this post

3w2 so/sp

That's generally how I know I have PMS, my emotions. My anxiety is worse, I'm mopier, and generally have less energy. When I've gone off an SSRI I have full on melt downs and end up in tears over almost nothing. Pregnancy is going to be absolutely awful for me.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2