• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

RDA for Vitamin D is too low by a factor of 10

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Scientists Confirm Institute of Medicine Recommendation for Vitamin D Intake Was Miscalculated and Is Far Too Low

The recommended intake of vitamin D specified by the IOM is 600 IU/day through age 70 years, and 800 IU/day for older ages. “Calculations by us and other researchers have shown that these doses are only about one-tenth those needed to cut incidence of diseases related to vitamin D deficiency,” Garland explained.

Robert Heaney, M.D., of Creighton University wrote: "We call for the NAS-IOM and all public health authorities concerned with transmitting accurate nutritional information to the public to designate, as the RDA, a value of approximately 7,000 IU/day from all sources.”

I'm currently taking 2500 IU of Vitamin D3 (5 days/week), to ward off the flu; I haven't gotten a cold or the flu in a year and one month. Parents of babies should know that Vitamin D administered in the first year of life reduces the risk of Type I Diabetes by 90% according to a Finnish study.

Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birth-cohort study.

Vitamin D supplementation was associated with a decreased frequency of type 1 diabetes when adjusted for neonatal, anthropometric, and social characteristics (rate ratio [RR] for regular vs no supplementation 0.12, 95% CI 0.03-0.51, and irregular vs no supplementation 0.16, 0.04-0.74. Children who regularly took the recommended dose of vitamin D (2000 IU daily) had a RR of 0.22 (0.05-0.89) compared with those who regularly received less than the recommended amount.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I am never sure of the specifics, and to be fair many vitamins are still being researched to find out what the appropriate dosages should be so the numbers were never hard-and-fast, but I definitely agree that Vitamin D-3 in particular isn't quite supplemented enough in our current non-sunshine-career diets. I take about 1000IUs a day, and I've noticed particularly an improvement in my teeth and tooth sensitivity since I started. (It's a D3/K2 supplement)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have used Vit D supplements before but usually run out and forget to buy more. I haven't had any this winter (or actually any vitamin supplements). I should remedy that... and make plans to get outdoors more often.

Of particular note, my teeth have been a bit overly sensitive lately. That is interesting [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have used Vit D supplements before but usually run out and forget to buy more. I haven't had any this winter (or actually any vitamin supplements). I should remedy that... and make plans to get outdoors more often.

Of particular note, my teeth have been a bit overly sensitive lately. That is interesting [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

There's a big thing about calcium.. and the absorption of calcium. Turns out it requires Vitamins A (retinol to be exact, like in liver and organ meat and hard aged gouda), D (3 to be exact), and K2 (M7 one to be precise, like in natto and again gouda) to help calcium along. Calcium's like the southern belle, she needs a whole entourage to help her get to the front row of the opera. I've noticed less sensitivity in my teeth and a bit more opaque-ness in them as well vs translucence since I've started about a month ago.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a big thing about calcium.. and the absorption of calcium. Turns out it requires Vitamins A (retinol to be exact, like in liver and organ meat and hard aged gouda), D (3 to be exact), and K2 (M7 one to be precise) to help calcium along. Calcium's like the southern belle, she needs a whole entourage to help her get to the front row of the opera. I've noticed less sensitivity in my teeth and a bit more opaque-ness in them as well vs translucence since I've started about a month ago.

Yeah I used to have a slice of liverwurst (braunschweiger) with my omelette every morning since ~Nov 2013 I guess. I haven't been doing omelettes as much lately, so I haven't had liverwurst in a while. But back when I did, I basically cured my seemingly chronic sinus infections I had for years leading up to that. I mean literally within the week they stopped... now I'll only experience sinus congestion in response to tangibly known triggers (cold, flu, persistent allergies) and not every time, and they dissipate within days. Before it was like "Oh, dehydrated or sniffly? Have a week or 2 of headaches and pain on top."

Sounds like I need to bring that back too.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yeah I used to have a slice of liverwurst (braunschweiger) with my omelette every morning since ~Nov 2013 I guess. I haven't been doing omelettes as much lately, so I haven't had liverwurst in a while. But back when I did, I basically cured my seemingly chronic sinus infections I had for years leading up to that. I mean literally within the week they stopped... now I'll only experience sinus congestion in response to tangibly known triggers (cold, flu, persistent allergies) and not every time, and they dissipate within days. Before it was like "Oh, dehydrated or sniffly? Have a week or 2 of headaches and pain on top."

Sounds like I need to bring that back too.

Yeah vitamin A is extremely beneficial for you. Brockenwurst is another good source of it. Unfortunately it's one of those things that's just so much cheaper and more efficient to get from the diet than to supplement. I try to eat liver when I can.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren

Results: Influenza A occurred in 18 of 167 (10.8%) children in the vitamin D3 group compared with 31 of 167 (18.6%) children in the placebo group

That's a 42% difference between the Vitamin D3 group and the placebo group, but the Vitamin D3 was only effective against Influenza A and had no effect on Influenza B.

kyuuei said:
Turns out it requires Vitamins A (retinol to be exact, like in liver and organ meat and hard aged gouda), D (3 to be exact), and K2 (M7 one to be precise) to help calcium along.

If you read some of the Amazon reviews on Thorne's K2 drops, you'll find several comments of people reporting that the tartar on their teeth falling off because the K2 is redistributing the calcium from the tartar to the bones.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Vitamin D Deficiency and Depression

Of note: Canadian researchers reviewed 14 studies, consisting of 31,424 participants and found a strong correlation between depression and a lack of Vitamin D. The lower the Vitamin D level, the greater the chance of depression. But, the big question is still causality. Does one get depressed because of a deficiency of Vitamin D, or does depression lower the vitamin level?

Another extremely promising small test was conducted on three severely depressed women, ages 42 to 66; all with a vitamin D deficiency. For 12 weeks they were given oral Vitamin D supplements, bringing their levels to normal. All three reported feeling much better and markedly less depressed.

Need a bigger study but the evidence is building.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well on a good note, I remembered to grab a vit D supplement tonight when I was out at the store. Not a K supplement but it'll have to do.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
We're a few years away from Equilibrium, except well be getting vitamin d shots daily instead if prozium.