User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Vasectomy

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default Vasectomy

So I was thinking about getting a vasectomy.

I know I'm quite young and still a virgin (which fortunately won't change as far as I can see) but I plan on never having children because there are far too many children around as it is. This isn't entirely to do with population issues it's also a personal dislike; I hate kids.

I really hate parents too, super duper hate. I see mothers who bring their disgusting little grubs into my workplace and stand about while they wreck anything they wish their hands upon and then just smile and giggle like it is a cute affirmation of their correct decision to procreate. Also children constantly affect the lives of those around them, like myself, who don't even have nor want any themselves. Family children, like nephews and the like are infringing upon my right not to have to put up with them. I didn't have sex, these aren't MY children yet I am having to put up with them despite my protestations (which get everyone to go against me as if I'm the enemy here).

And then random strangers, well their children are a problem too. Way too many of those; who run about touching stuff and just getting in the way. Just short and useless and annoying.

Would my decision be a good idea?

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

No.

1. There are side effects. I experience them from time to time. Imagine if your jeans just happen to be a tad tighter than usual (gained 5lb recently, intend to get rid of it but you know...) and you just happen to have a little more pressure "than usual" down there and the combination of all this causes the (generally infrequent) inflammatory pain to surface. Suddenly, you're trapped in a state where it feels like you're being slowly, almost gently, kicked in the balls progressively harder every waking hour of the day. Usually takes ibuprofen to stop the pain and "reset" it back to normal. Unless you want to go even further and have an epididymectomy or some other procedure.

2. You are young. Not sure how young, but, if you're younger than 30 or so, just shut up and forget about it. Just don't do it. Seriously. Your mind might change some day...

3. If you're always going to be a virgin, then why bother?! See #1. Why go through the side effects if you'll never need it?

My own reasons for having it done-
    1. Married to someone I legitimately can't imagine divorcing
    2. Got 2 kids with her
    3. Wants lots and lots of sex but don't want more than 2 kids; don't want the extra financial and practical strains of dealing with them.
    Beyond the side effects which are infrequent enough ... I am OK with what I did. I know she would never say no to "more" but I'm the one who decided this, and she was just fine with it as well.

As a side note to others considering this, one interesting side effect I did not expect is a massive, and (pardon my french) MASSIVE increase in sex drive afterwards. I credit this to the continual anxiety I would feel about getting my wife pregnant again and the stresses of going through the whole long process (9 months + the next 24 after tend to be intense, along with the barrage of appointments and medical bills and oh my), along with the practical concerns of having to consider moving to a larger house to comfortably raise them all, etc. That basic "fact" about sexuality haunted me in a way I never really acknowledged consciously, until it was gone.

There are some who believe that losing your "capability" to father children will make you inherently less desirable to women, so if there ever comes a time that your hormones DO lead you to seek such companionship, know that it may not come as naturally or easily with some women. I can't imagine this is a hard and fast rule though, particularly with women who truly have NO desire to mother any more children, or have some of their own & do desire a partner who can't get them pregnant.

This might be relevant to you - after having a vasectomy done, your own sex drive might increase in a manner that may drive you to do ... inappropriate things, if you're not already in a marriage or otherwise reliable sexual relationship. Something to think about.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    No.

1. There are side effects. I experience them from time to time. Imagine if your jeans just happen to be a tad tighter than usual (gained 5lb recently, intend to get rid of it but you know...) and you just happen to have a little more pressure "than usual" down there and the combination of all this causes the (generally infrequent) inflammatory pain to surface. Suddenly, you're trapped in a state where it feels like you're being slowly, almost gently, kicked in the balls progressively harder every waking hour of the day. Usually takes ibuprofen to stop the pain and "reset" it back to normal. Unless you want to go even further and have an epididymectomy or some other procedure.
    This is a fair point, I see. I hadn't researched the side effects myself.

2. You are young. Not sure how young, but, if you're younger than 30 or so, just shut up and forget about it. Just don't do it. Seriously. Your mind might change some day...
    I'm fairly final when I set my mind. I'm one of the most rigid and certain people I've ever met.

3. If you're always going to be a virgin, then why bother?! See #1. Why go through the side effects if you'll never need it?
    Because someone might rape me, or seduce me (despite my rigidity) or perhaps I accidentally do something masturbatory that lands where it shouldn't? There are loads of things that could happen. Maybe drugged and have my sperm stolen.

My own reasons for having it done-
    1. Married to someone I legitimately can't imagine divorcing
    2. Got 2 kids with her
    3. Wants lots and lots of sex but don't want more than 2 kids; don't want the extra financial and practical strains of dealing with them.
    Beyond the side effects which are infrequent enough ... I am OK with what I did. I know she would never say no to "more" but I'm the one who decided this, and she was just fine with it as well.
    That's fair enough, but shame on you for having the kids. We need less of that not more.

As a side note to others considering this, one interesting side effect I did not expect is a massive, and (pardon my french) MASSIVE increase in sex drive afterwards. I credit this to the continual anxiety I would feel about getting my wife pregnant again and the stresses of going through the whole long process, along with the practical concerns of having to consider moving to a larger house to comfortably raise them all, etc. That basic "fact" about sexuality haunted me in a way I never really acknowledged consciously, until it was gone.

This might be relevant to you - after having a vasectomy done, your own sex drive might increase in a manner that may drive you to do ... inappropriate things, if you're not already in a marriage or otherwise reliable sexual relationship. Something to think about.
    I've never heard of that....yeah something to think about. That might convince me not to. However I still think it would be a good safe guard.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

@spirilis , you have two kids already? Wow! You don't mess around. LOL
    Likes spirilis liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    No.

As a side note to others considering this, one interesting side effect I did not expect is a massive, and (pardon my french) MASSIVE increase in sex drive afterwards.
    I can attest to this. That's how it's been for the last oh, 14 years or so since my husband had one. I agree that it's all that stress of pregnancy out the window but I think that happens because I, like you, already had kids, we didn't want more and now we can just wherever or whenever we want.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes spirilis, BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

So I was thinking about getting a vasectomy.

I know I'm quite young and still a virgin (which fortunately won't change as far as I can see) but I plan on never having children because there are far too many children around as it is. This isn't entirely to do with population issues it's also a personal dislike; I hate kids.
    I think you're putting the cart before the horse on this one...
    Likes BluRoses, Rasofy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    No.
    In-depth, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I think you're putting the cart before the horse on this one...
    How so? Are you saying if I enjoyed sex when older I would wish to have children?

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

In-depth, thanks.
    I felt spirilis covered everything very well. Did you want redundancy?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I felt spirilis covered everything very well. Did you want redundancy?
    So you agree with his points? Fair enough.

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

No

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639