User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Vasectomy

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Definitely not. Think about the physiology of what you're doing. You're cutting off a route that fluid and cells are suppose to go. Where do they go when that route is cut off? They are reabsorbed constantly by the body. More work and more labor for something to try to somehow bypass a function you cut off. (People think the increase in sex drive is the body's natural way of responding to 'No sperm is escaping!' via 'Make more opportunities for it to escape!') Especially being young, and in prime sex-drive times, thats a looott of semen being reabsorbed. They're suspecting links to other issues for men with vasectomies too.

Your body isn't stupid. It does its thing. It tries its best. But every medical procedure, every medicine, all has pros and cons to weigh in on. Even 'gentle' things have pros and cons. A vasectomy is a big deal. Even if you don't want children. Seriously, unless you have a crazy stalker woman trying to drug you and get your little swimmers somehow (and I'd say the police is more likely to help than a vasectomy) let your body be what it is. A condom on you at all times helps others around you (Yeah, I got you covered pal) and yourself (if ever you change your mind about sex).

Until something is indicated for quality of life (like the situations indicated above) or medical indications (there are very very few for a vasectomy besides QOL), don't waste your time and money on it. It IS a good procedure, and a relatively safe one, but even safe procedures have consequences and you must balance pros and cons. I just can't see any pros for you besides, "I don't need to carry a condom."

If you want something to avoid future issues because you're paranoid, get an appendectomy. Those are relatively safe and can prevent issues in the future of oh-you-never-know.

A condom is easier to get and free.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes spirilis liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Definitely not. Think about the physiology of what you're doing. You're cutting off a route that fluid and cells are suppose to go. Where do they go when that route is cut off? They are reabsorbed constantly by the body. More work and more labor for something to try to somehow bypass a function you cut off. (People think the increase in sex drive is the body's natural way of responding to 'No sperm is escaping!' via 'Make more opportunities for it to escape!') Especially being young, and in prime sex-drive times, thats a looott of semen being reabsorbed. They're suspecting links to other issues for men with vasectomies too.

Your body isn't stupid. It does its thing. It tries its best. But every medical procedure, every medicine, all has pros and cons to weigh in on. Even 'gentle' things have pros and cons. A vasectomy is a big deal. Even if you don't want children. Seriously, unless you have a crazy stalker woman trying to drug you and get your little swimmers somehow (and I'd say the police is more likely to help than a vasectomy) let your body be what it is. A condom on you at all times helps others around you (Yeah, I got you covered pal) and yourself (if ever you change your mind about sex).

Until something is indicated for quality of life (like the situations indicated above) or medical indications (there are very very few for a vasectomy besides QOL), don't waste your time and money on it. It IS a good procedure, and a relatively safe one, but even safe procedures have consequences and you must balance pros and cons. I just can't see any pros for you besides, "I don't need to carry a condom."

If you want something to avoid future issues because you're paranoid, get an appendectomy. Those are relatively safe and can prevent issues in the future of oh-you-never-know.

A condom is easier to get and free.
    Appendectomy? Hmm you might have convinced me with that. Perhaps this should have been a poll, but I predict a landslide in favour of the no party.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I know I'm quite young and still a virgin
    Which means a lot can change, right?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Appendectomy? Hmm you might have convinced me with that. Perhaps this should have been a poll, but I predict a landslide in favour of the no party.
    an appendectomy isn't totally necessary either, but it is an elective procedure here in the US anyways. The appendix does nothing at best.

Besides, from what I've heard, if you intend on staying a virgin as any sort of goal a vasectomy might work against you. And I promise, safe sex without paranoia and worry about children is definitely possible man.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Apparently there's a decent chance of having pain in the testicles that doesn't go away, I guess like what @spirilis describes. And it may slightly increase the risk of lethal prostate cancer. Neither of those things sound like something I'd want to risk, personally. Also, a friend of mine has a post-vasectomy baby. (Then again, another friend of mine has a post-IUD baby, and I use an IUD, so that's not really enough to deter me apparently.)

I think, if I were you, I'd probably wait and see what happens with the non-surgical birth control options that are on the horizon for men. That's what my husband has decided to do, especially considering the IUD is reversible, cheap with insurance, and has benefits I like.

Male Contraception Information Project
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

I personally believe one shouldn't contemplate on such an important decision without
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes spirilis, Cellmold liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I personally believe one shouldn't contemplate on such an important decision without
    No one knows better than a stranger!

I got into a lot of vans as a kid. Blanche DuBois had the right idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Which means a lot can change, right?
    Yeah like I could die from something, not necessarily sexually transmitted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Apparently there's a decent chance of having pain in the testicles that doesn't go away, I guess like what @spirilis describes. And it may slightly increase the risk of lethal prostate cancer. Neither of those things sound like something I'd want to risk, personally. Also, a friend of mine has a post-vasectomy baby. (Then again, another friend of mine has a post-IUD baby, and I use an IUD, so that's not really enough to deter me apparently.)

I think, if I were you, I'd probably wait and see what happens with the non-surgical birth control options that are on the horizon for men. That's what my husband has decided to do, especially considering the IUD is reversible, cheap with insurance, and has benefits I like.

Male Contraception Information Project
    Ah now that sounds interesting, OK maybe I'll wait to see what develops in this area.
    Last edited by Cellmold; 03-24-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm in the no camp. Hate is not the right frame of mind to make such a life changing decision.

And for the record, when you're done with having kids, men with vasectomy are HOT!
    4w5
    Likes BluRoses liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I'm in the no camp. Hate is not the right frame of mind to make such a life changing decision.

And for the record, when you're done with having kids, men with vasectomy are HOT!
    I'm not sure hot is a description that could ever be applied to me.

And hate is the perfect frame of mind for every decision. It's no worse than any other emotional motivator.

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure hot is a description that could ever be applied to me.

And hate is the perfect frame of mind for every decision. It's no worse than any other emotional motivator.
    Ehhh... I would say that in general, acting in hatred produces action that is disproportionate to the situation. Which is pretty much what getting a vasectomy is when you are young and not sexually active.
    Likes countrygirl liked this post