• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Went to a rheumatologist today...

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
...and I am terrified that I have RA or psoriatic arthritis. From some previous blood work I had done, it seems RA is unlikely (thank God) but it seems that psoriatic arthritis might be likely. I have to go to a dermatologist to see if what I've always been told was eczema is in fact psoriasis (sorry if that's TMI-- it's not bad and is only on my elbows and ankles) and then we'll see.

Luckily right now my symptoms aren't bad... just some stiff feet and sometimes knees in the morning or after sitting for awhile, and stiff/sore elbows. First noticed the foot stiffness a couple of months after my son was born, and elbow/knee symptoms about a month ago.

My husband thinks this is all down to my anxiety, which is possible. Every few years, it seems like my anxiety finds a new way of manifesting itself: At first it was sleep issues and digestive issues, normal anxiety symptoms. Once I started taking zoloft, those went away... several years later, I had went through a period of a year where even the tiniest sip of alcohol would make me violently ill... no explanation, and I suspect anxiety. Then a few years ago I had a bout of "globus" that had no other explanation than anxiety. So it's a possibility.

All the stuff on the internet about PsA is scary. Does anyone have real experience with these illnesses and can reassure me that life can be okay? I read one website that said 90% of people with PsA live a normal life, just with some adjustments... that was reassuring. Of course it's possible I am totally jumping the gun and have no such illness... I hope so but I don't know, it feels real...

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have RA.

Okay--first off, I will say that it shouldn't be so quickly written off as anxiety.

PsA is a seronegative arthritis so it's mostly a diagnosis of elimination kind of thing. No lab tests for it and in the early stages, x-rays usually do not show changes. This can be frustrating because it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have something. I had problems for years and was told it was anxiety and after I had my last child, I finally had a positive lab marker for RA. So, you may have to prepare for the possibility of having something and not being able to have a diagnosis. I hope you're able to get one.

...yes, it is treatable and you can live a normal life. The objective is to prevent or slow joint damage. If you've done some research, then you've already seen the kind of joint damage PsA can cause, so it's important to try to keep that from happening or at least slow the process. You can take DMARDS for PsA. Or you can take one of the biologics on the market now. Those are much more inexpensive and insurance companies are reluctant to pay for it especially if you have not tried DMARDS yet.

I had not been taking anything for my RA but I kept having to use steroids so frequently for pulmonary issues that I recently started methotrexate again. It's unpleasant but bearable. I will not take biologics.

Sometimes after having a baby, there will be transient joint issues, too. No one knows why. Especially if you are nursing. Are you nursing?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not anymore. I thought it might be associated with that, but i stopped nursing 5 months ago, so now i don't think so.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks... Yeah, it could be anxiety, but i am definitely getting it checked out.