User Tag List

123 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default We can all eat eggs again. Cholesterol is no longer bad for you.

The US is about to drop its decades-old warning against cholesterol

One of the six core goals since the 1970s has been to limit the intake of cholesterol to less than 300mg per day, however the present Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) does not believe that cholesterol consumption is something we need to be worried about.
    This is a 40 year old consensus scientific opinion that's been overturned and it's about time. There have been multiple studies a good decade and more that raised some serious doubts as to the validity of that consensus. Not to gloat too much, but I've been saying this for 3 years now.

The change in thinking about cholesterol consumption is just part of an evolving body of opinion about the healthiest diet choices. Just this week, a new study of the data available in 1977 concluded that the original Dietary Guidelines were based on inadequate evidence and should never have been issued.
    Next is the faulty saturated fats are harmful consensus. That also needs to go.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

This is very interesting, and I am happy to see this come about. It's not too entirely surprising if you get right down to it. It's not so much the cholesterol itself that is a problem, but the biochemical systems that use it that is the problem. It's been shown over the past decade and some change that these systems are by and large governed more by genetics than diet. In otherwords, if you have "bad cholesterol levels" (meaning, carrier protein levels), it's because of genetics. This is part of the reason why statin drugs (drugs that lower cholesterol levels) were such blockbuster cash cows over the past decade and a half (though this has since decreased with new research suggesting there are detriments to statins that have been overlooked) because it fixed long standing cholesterol problems in individuals who had bad levels that seemed completely static despite all kinds of external changes.

Diet is a tricky thing. It's really complex, and inexact. It will forever be inexact too just by the nature of our bodies and biochemistry. Maybe in the future we'll have a firmer grasp on it, but it's going to take quite some time and a deeper understanding. I wouldn't be surprised if in another 50 years the current guidelines we operate under will look like night and day. On a personal level, I don't really take much of it to heart because how often it changes. I'll loosely watch things and adjust slightly as new information comes to light (i.e. I try and limit my sugar level intake some), but if you look at it from certain angles; anything you put inside of you can kill you. There are SO many variables that you need to decide between being fearful, and enjoying food. I err slightly more on the side of enjoyment, combined with the notion of "everything in moderation".
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Tellenbach liked this post

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

*Busts out the 'Theatre Style' Extra Butter popcorn*
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes prplchknz, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    are you trying to kill me?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I first became suspicious when I learned that cholesterol is an integral part of every cell membrane. Cholesterol is also a precursor to hormones like testosterone.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    The problem with that isn't so much cholesterol, but diacetyl.

Looks like your extra butter will have to wait... oh who am I kidding, that shit is DELICIOUS! .

Edit: I should be clear, the safety profile of diacetyl is contended, so it's difficult to say how much of a problem it truly is.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

After serious research on the internet and experimenting with my own diet, I've found that as long as you are fairly active and eat in moderation, you can eat pretty much anything.

I'm glad I never followed that advice about eggs, because I liked eggs too much
    4w5 sp/sx EII
    Likes Ivy, Hard, EJCC liked this post

This is why you shouldn't rely on trend science for your foodways.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    more nutritionism.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Starch (Carbs) Is the Devil! ... So is sugar!

I have proof!
    Practitioners of nutritionsm (trend science, journalism and marketing) -as the new priesthood, telling you which component to demonize and sanctify this month/year only to have it change in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pollan
    From Food Culture to Food Science. The last important change wrought by the Western diet is not, strictly speaking, ecological. But the industrialization of our food that we call the Western diet is systematically destroying traditional food cultures. Before the modern food era — and before nutritionism — people relied for guidance about what to eat on their national or ethnic or regional cultures. We think of culture as a set of beliefs and practices to help mediate our relationship to other people, but of course culture (at least before the rise of science) has also played a critical role in helping mediate people’s relationship to nature. Eating being a big part of that relationship, cultures have had a great deal to say about what and how and why and when and how much we should eat. Of course when it comes to food, culture is really just a fancy word for Mom, the figure who typically passes on the food ways of the group — food ways that, although they were never “designed” to optimize health (we have many reasons to eat the way we do), would not have endured if they did not keep eaters alive and well.

The sheer novelty and glamour of the Western diet, with its 17,000 new food products introduced every year, and the marketing muscle used to sell these products, has overwhelmed the force of tradition and left us where we now find ourselves: relying on science and journalism and marketing to help us decide questions about what to eat. Nutritionism, which arose to help us better deal with the problems of the Western diet, has largely been co-opted by it, used by the industry to sell more food and to undermine the authority of traditional ways of eating. You would not have read this far into this article if your food culture were intact and healthy; you would simply eat the way your parents and grandparents and great-grandparents taught you to eat. The question is, Are we better off with these new authorities than we were with the traditional authorities they supplanted? The answer by now should be clear.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Good thing I ignore all government health warnings because I estimate in my life so far I have consumed approximately 22,756.5 eggs. That's a lot of guilt.
    Likes Tellenbach, BadOctopus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    After serious research on the internet and experimenting with my own diet, I've found that as long as you are fairly active and eat in moderation, you can eat pretty much anything.

I'm glad I never followed that advice about eggs, because I liked eggs too much
    even cyanide
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.