• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

We can all eat eggs again. Cholesterol is no longer bad for you.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Deviled eggs.....

hqdefault.jpg

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
No, it's not worth gloating about. Knowledge is always evolving, and people try to do the best with what they know at any given point in time. Constantly pointing out things now proven to be incomplete or incorrect as though you yourself knew better or would have known better all along is akin to playing armchair quarterback. Yeah, a lot easier to call it from the sidelines.

Knowledge is only ever a probability anyway. It's like with maajan when somebody discards a 5 pin you know they can't win with a two sided wait around 3 and 4. This means that there's a probability that a 2 pin is safe to discard because two sided waits are common and the furiten rule counts for all possible waits i.e. if you can win on a 2 or 5 and you discard one, the other is also furiten which would make it safe to discard. But you can't know for certain that a 2 is absolutely safe to discard because they may have a pair wait or closed wait. It's a gamble because you don't have access to the actual truth directly. You don't know what tiles are hidden, you can only 'read' the discards, and no matter how perfectly you read them you still don't actually see what is hidden. Knowledge about the other player's hand is always indirect. Quite literally you cannot be sure, and other kinds of information is the same way. If the hand isn't tipped then you don't actually know what is in it even though you might be able to reasonably assume with high probability in some cases.

Being attached to certainty really serves no purpose. We go with what seems probably correct and that's exactly what we do regardless of how confident anyone thinks they are.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
America has a particularly nasty habit of turning food into fashion and religion.. But honestly, in Europe I saw it everywhere too in my short stay. There really ought to be some serious foundations laid down that dont emphasize a certain food (like grains in the MyPlate system) but rather a general guideline that can be applied to all diets and dietary information based on real science in the body.

Not to bring her up in every dang nutrition thread, but rawfoodsos's writer says, basically, 'Look, I'm not saying go raw food. But, if you do, here's what you need to know to thrive on that sort of diet. I do it, and I made a lot of mistakes reading bullcaca that wasn't true.' There ought to be a sort of... choose your own adventure sequence here that makes information to food accessible.

But really, we've known about cholesterol and how big the diet impacts it for a very, very long time now.. It is a bit sad-faced that it's just now really catching on that fats are not bad for you--but certain fats need more moderation than others.

For some people ice cream needs to be avoided and is reall bad for you (i.e. people with bad relationships with sweets, lactose intolerant people, etc.).. for others, the doctor literally prescribed it because it's a ton of calories, cold, has complete proteins, and soothing, and when you're going through chemo anything you can keep down is a positive direction towards your health.

I completely agree with [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] though.. For every successful campaign for health (Let your babies sleep by themselves on their back!) there are some that just fail terribly (Carbs are evil!).. and trying to research what's what is just not what people are equipped to do.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Mmmmm...no doubt about it. The only drawback is that I can never make enough, everyone is like :drool:

Oh man I went off of a website and tried using beet juice to 'dye' the eggs, it worked swimmingly and it gave them an earthy sort of taste. I don't like beets all that much, but those things went so fast I only got to eat one of the batch that I made.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Mmmmm...no doubt about it. The only drawback is that I can never make enough, everyone is like :drool:

I can't even make deviled eggs. I would just sit there and eat the filling and there'd only be boiled egg whites left. Then I'd have to eat those because nobody wants not-deviled deviled eggs.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh man, I haven't had a deviled egg in ages. I like to make curried deviled eggs. They always seem to be a hit at group gatherings.

I hated eggs when I was a kid, but now I love them. I've been eating them two or three times a week for my entire adult life, and I've always had healthy cholesterol levels.

There's nothing dangerous about eating eggs, as long as you don't eat them in insane amounts, or fry them in tons of butter.

Nicki

Retired
Deviled eggs and soft-boiled eggs are life. Perfectly poached eggs are amazing too, but I'm incapable of making them.

Chthonic

Deviled eggs and soft-boiled eggs are life. Perfectly poached eggs are amazing too, but I'm incapable of making them.

Poached eggs with runny yokes on sourdough toast, lashings of butter....:nice: I think everyone needs to give me their recipes for making yummy stuff with eggs, I anticipate I will probably eat another 30,000 or so before I die.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Oh man, I haven't had a deviled egg in ages. I like to make curried deviled eggs. They always seem to be a hit at group gatherings.

I hated eggs when I was a kid, but now I love them. I've been eating them two or three times a week for my entire adult life, and I've always had healthy cholesterol levels.

There's nothing dangerous about eating eggs, as long as you don't eat them in insane amounts, or fry them in tons of butter.

my aunt and mom make really good deviled eggs i hate that they only make them for gatherings because they go so fast and I could eat 24 in a setting (probably not, but I like to pretend)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^I bet they would make you some the next time you see them if you asked real nice. :)

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Made 5 eggs that were about to go off but I was afraid to eat all of today thanks to this thread :happy2:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Poached eggs with runny yokes on sourdough toast, lashings of butter....:nice: I think everyone needs to give me their recipes for making yummy stuff with eggs, I anticipate I will probably eat another 30,000 or so before I die.

I make a pretty decent Japanesque style stuffed omelette. Takes skill and practice though.

Basically you take about three or four eggs with a little milk stirred in like you're making scrambled eggs, plus whatever filling you'd like to go in. Preheat a small pan, about the size of the omelette, then pour a thin layer of egg in and swirl it so it spreads out and immediately cooks into a thin fluffy egg film. Quickly throw in your filling - I usually like a lot of cheese and maybe some onion and green pepper - and fold it shut. Then what you do next is continue to add layers of egg by pouring more raw egg in and lifting the omelette and swirling a bit so all the raw egg gets under and makes a new layer of cooked egg. Repeat until you run out of raw egg.

What you end up with is a really thick and fluffy perfectly yellow stuffed omelette which is evenly cooked all the way through like some kind of loaf, similar to how a Japanese omelette is made (but with different ingredients and usually without the square pan, unless you happen to have one)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't even make deviled eggs. I would just sit there and eat the filling and there'd only be boiled egg whites left. Then I'd have to eat those because nobody wants not-deviled deviled eggs.
You could chop up the whites really fine and mix them in with the yolk mixture, or throw all of it in a food processor. Then you'd have sort of a deviled egg salad.

I couldn't make poached eggs either, until I discovered...

Poach Pods!

They're seriously the best. You just spray them with a little oil, crack the eggs in them, and float them over simmering water in a covered pot for 5 to 6 minutes. Perfectly shaped poached eggs every time.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Never had deviled eggs. My favorite egg dish is a custard in honey/ginger syrup (don't remember what it's called).

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, it's not worth gloating about. Knowledge is always evolving, and people try to do the best with what they know at any given point in time. Constantly pointing out things now proven to be incomplete or incorrect as though you yourself knew better or would have known better all along is akin to playing armchair quarterback. Yeah, a lot easier to call it from the sidelines.

Ordinarily I'd agree, with you, [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION]; but in this case, it appears that literally millions of peoples' lives were cut short, or suffered drastically reduce quality of life, just so that Ancel Keys could preen himself over how *wise* he was.

If he hadn't been such a scumbag, and cozened a few influential people into railroading all opposing points of view, just think how much healthier people would have been.

I'm willing to lay even money that it'll turn out that there are several more "conventional wisdom" health ideas pressed by the government, or highly influential social memes, first popularized, and thereafter exploited by either bureaucrat do-gooders, or mercantile interests, that have had similar disastrous effects.