User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I like you, @GarrotTheThief.

I relate to everything in your last post. I was on a low-carb diet briefly, and I called it "The Bad Mood Diet". I was grouchy all the time, and also (sorry if this is TMI) irregular, which I'd never been before in my entire life. Carbs are necessary. As are proteins and fat. They just need to be consumed in reasonable amounts, and supplemented with exercise. It's as simple as that.

The problem is, people want instant results. That's why fad diets will always be popular.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, EJCC liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I like you, @GarrotTheThief.

I relate to everything in your last post. I was on a low-carb diet briefly, and I called it "The Bad Mood Diet". I was grouchy all the time, and also (sorry if this is TMI) irregular, which I'd never been before in my entire life. Carbs are necessary. As are proteins and fat. They just need to be consumed in reasonable amounts, and supplemented with exercise. It's as simple as that.

The problem is, people want instant results. That's why fad diets will always be popular.
    Yup thanks! As an ENTJ I use the emoticons to express my emotions because it's quick and painless...lol...anyways.

Yeah...about 2 years ago I was 230lbs at 6ft. I had a lot of muscle but I didn't like how hard it was to move. So I started biking every day at first for 20 to 40 minutes a day. Then after about a year I started running just to see how the biking paid off. At that point I was 210lbs and thought I wouldn't run much if that or ever agian - I was a track guy so it was painful to admit.

But my friend told me about this book Born to Run that they are making a movie about soon with Matthew McCaunahey, if that's how you spell his name. I listened to the book and it promoted barefoot running. I didn't run barefoot but it inspired me to run and soon I started running 2-3 miles a day and eventually last spring was doing about an hour run.

Soon I was in a shape and now I'm almost back to my glory days of my teens but at the age of 30.

It's always best to go slow and steady and make the workout in such a way where you feel better the next to (to a degree of course). The mood is an interesting compass. If someone works out too hard, which I still do sometimes, and wakes up the next day and feels like jumping off a balcony they probably trained too hard (or have an other issue to deal with).

Fad diets such as carb free diets are usefull for athletes who are cutting for an event like bodybuilders or boxers but as humans who have jobs and who aren't pro athletes we have to expand in so many other ways that pro athletes don't have to and we only have so much force inside of us. We need to grow in a complete circle - financially, educationally, career wise, hobby wise, etc...hell if we have kids even more (the more the merrier).

So that's why I compare my philosophy to Richard Simons. To be honest what has been instrumental in my getting back into shape is stretching and doing a lot of leg lifts, laterall and forward, and doing planks, or a lot of core work that doesn't involve weights, and doing it in conjunction with stretching.

Richard did a lot of those sorts of movements. He would have his people doing leg lifts and basic stuff. It is completely strange for some people to go and bench 250lbs and not be able to do at least 15 pullups and plank for two minutes. There are so many people who do this and then they rip their shoulders or tear a ligament and they wonder why.

Weights are good but require good form and a solid foundation in the core. They are good because once you start doing 50 squats with no weight its better to add just a little weight so you can do 20 and not overwork the joints. But the way people treat weightlifting now, as some sort of cosmetic solution for re sculpting the body, when they aren't even bodybuilders is the opposite direction of health.

Anyways...sorry just sort of spewing forth my insights from these last 2-3 years of transforming back into my former self.

Side note: if I would have known what I know now about training when I was a teen I would have been a d1 runner but since as a youth I stacked the squat rack and didn't work the core I lost out on seconds that would have made someone who is a good sprinter into a phenomenal sprinter.

If I don't do the groundwork today, it's so drastic, since I'm older, I can't even runner half as far. I learned the groundwork from a marathon runner online on youtube who was an olympian. She was showing how leg lifts and certain leg exercises while laying on the ground helped strengthen the hip joints and create better running structure.

Anyways..I have so many secrets!
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    yupp
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Experiment:

Video about it:
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."