• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zumba Interest/Disinterest Survey:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm doing research for a personalized research paper on the Interest or Disinterest toward Zumba by Men & Women.
I've created a brief survey that doesn't require any emails or names, and would really appreciate if some of you would take the time to help me out by filling it out.

SurveyMonkey: Zumba Interest

Feel free to hypothesize if you so desire. I know I have my own theories, of course :sherlock:
Also, feel free to share thoughts on the whole matter here. I did not include a type-related question in the actually survey, but thought it would prove interesting to throw it at ENFJ and ESFP groups on facebook, but obviously I am interested in any and all responses.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I answered. Pretty much I feel like Zumba is a great work out in the short summary of things, but it's not for me.

Zumba is very heavy on the hip movements, which I have hip issues, so it makes it more noxious than other forms of cardio like running and swimming. It also is like 100% cardio and I rarely find my arms, back, chest, and general upper body challenged. Though I've only tried one class, it seems pretty much to be dancing.. which is fun, and can give a lot of confidence, but on the other side of the coin I don't really want to feel sexy when I'm gettin' my work out on... and on top of that the classes are almost 100% female every time I've seen one going on/participated, which also leads me to believe there isn't much muscle building in the classes since it does not attract men. I also feel like there's sometimes a 'sexy' attitude.. and like I said before, I don't really want to mistake 'confidence' with 'sexy builds confidence' because that mentality irks me.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:nerd: Had I thought about it (and gotten feedback for this project earlier), I should have come here to ask what to include for the "reasons". I like that mention of the 'sexy attitude', female classes, and upper body involvement.
It would make it far more complicated a survey if I took everything into account that I'd like to lol, but really interesting.

I've had a different experience with classes involving more and more men, although the class is still dominated by females. Also, a lot of good instructors that have taught other classes before, and know the value of incorporating more arm movement and even the option to get zumba's weight.. things to add some difficulty. It definitely depends on a lot of instructor-specific variables, but still has limitations.
Thank you!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I tried a Zumba class once and thought it was kind of entertaining, but not pleasing enough to do again. It seems like a good workout - I was certainly tired and sore - but it's a lot of "flamboyance" for me personally, and the branding stuff is a turnoff. I do remember feeling pretty self-conscious about flinging my limbs in every direction. It also was kind of hard to just drop in, because they were memorizing a routine for a performance. I can see that being fun if I was a regular, but as a drop-in, I felt pretty lost.

As for gender - Zumba seems very marketed towards women. Is there a decent amount of male interest? The class I attended was almost all middle-aged women.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've known a few male instructors and men of various ages that show interest or attend classes. The creator is male, but I'm not really sure of the male interest in different countries and areas. I would say for classes of around 30-50 females near me, you'll get either zero men or 1-6 men.
It was a Christmas miracle when I went to a zumba event a few years ago and they had Two male instructors. I knew the one, but the other was a unicorn!

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked it when I tried it. Don't think I could do it consistently, I'm sure it would grow repetitive and lose its luster, but every once in a while it's fun to get silly and take a class.

93JC

I would have answered your survey but I don't know what zumba is exactly. Put that down in your results if you wish. (Male, of course)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Glad you included 'I don't like group fitness' as one of the reasons, as that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the question.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Glad you included 'I don't like group fitness' as one of the reasons, as that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the question.

i'm usually of this camp too. but i do love yoga classes. so idk.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Lol yea I find that some people just don't want to work out directly with others, but others are charged by the group aspect.
Yoga is an interesting one because it feels like a middle ground between group and solo fitness in a way, but maybe that's the safety of the yoga mat island ;)

*** and still in need of Any male response. :) - ratios are very different at the moment

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my first thoughts were-

ugh... people! :sick:

I'd have to go to a gym... gyms smell funny

dancing?! Noooooo!!!!!

if other people say it's fun it's probably about as fun as getting my toenails pulled out with a pair of pliers :thelook:

and last, but not least... exercise I can't do in my underwear? No way :thumbdown:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Haha All valid points. I personally love it, but haven't been in nearly two years just because of effort to go To the gym

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha All valid points. I personally love it, but haven't been in nearly two years just because of effort to go To the gym

I'll trade you closeness to the gym... I live within walking distance of several :yes:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the thought of exercising in front of a large group of people is a nightmare scenario for me.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love dancing and like doing zumba and belly dancing workout videos in the privacy of my own room. I'm the kind of person who likes to hit the elliptical with earbuds firmly in my ears.

Dislike group yoga, too.

The only time I've ever enjoyed exercising with another person was when I used to go running with my ex. I don't really like running though. I have big hips and I wiggle/waddle when I run, lol. Also, chub rub.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I wish I could join some sort of Zumba class. Looks like lots of fun to me.

I love dancing and doing it in groups so I can watch where I am making mistakes and learn how to fix them, what moves do what, etc. Learning basically. It is not an individual thing for me, I like feeding off of the energy of others to push me.
When I go to the gym alone, I often find that I do best when there is someone beside me doing the same thing, even if I do not know them, I try to match or exceed their level, which is very helpful to me.

I'm that annoying competitive weirdo that you can see glancing at you from her peripherals.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
have nothing against it per se.....

but then it's not for me, i prefer running, jogging, and yoga.