User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: MMA

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Default MMA

As requested. And maybe a place to talk about martial arts.

Fight Club days:

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Ene, Cellmold liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

what martial arts were you learning?
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

I can take you down man.

Also,

I am interested in what martial arts you learned and what martial arts you recommend.

I was thinking for striking: Krav Maga > kick boxing> Boxing > Wing Chun (takes too long to learn though) > Wushu, Karate etc
    Grappling: Brazilian Ju Jitsu > Judo > Ju Jitsu etc.

I've done a lot of karate and a 'bit' of boxing and has come to realize that boxing is way more practical, easy to learn and effective in real combat vs Karate.

I wonder whether you have recommendations for striking sports and grappling sports or whether learning one of those methods is enough for street fighting/real fighting.

You did say it's dedicated to MMA. So there you have it, my questions.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

krav maga is wing chung slightly tailored. Wing chung is chinese boxing. If you mix wing chung with boxing you get jeet kune do which is the best if you are athletic enough to use it. It's what anderson silva used in conjunction with brazillian ju jitsu to win for so many years. He even trained on a wooden dummy.
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I mean, when else do you get to pound the shit out of someone and possibly even brag about it and get away with it all?
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Krav Maga is my love when it comes to martial arts. I like the simplicity of the moves, how not much strength is needed for them, and how it can easily be tailored to dealing with several sizes of opponents. A lot of modern teachers are using submissive positions as the starting positions for moves, and I find the practicality of using what the body is used to to help with physical muscle memory important in the application of martial arts. I'm not a boxer, and I'm not sparring anytime soon, so my appreciation is totally on feasibility.

I took BJJ for a very short time, and while I got a work out out of it, the moves were complex even at a beginner level and I felt there were too many steps with too much that could go wrong. I can't flip someone anymore like I could in the class. I can, however, still fall back, cat strike, and push a gun out of the way the way I was taught in my krav maga class so long ago now.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    what martial arts were you learning?
    MMA, so well rounded in American wrestling, Boxing, Muay Thai, NO-gi Jiu Jitsu, (the Gi is that annoying "suit" as I like to call it, so No-Gi could be nothing but shorts), Ground and Pound, Dirty Boxing.

krav maga is wing chung slightly tailored. Wing chung is chinese boxing. If you mix wing chung with boxing you get jeet kune do which is the best if you are athletic enough to use it. It's what anderson silva used in conjunction with brazillian ju jitsu to win for so many years. He even trained on a wooden dummy.
    I could see wing chung (or a variety of martial arts) being a good foundation for the more aggressive Ass Beating Arts, which I've listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Krav Maga is my love when it comes to martial arts. I like the simplicity of the moves, how not much strength is needed for them, and how it can easily be tailored to dealing with several sizes of opponents. A lot of modern teachers are using submissive positions as the starting positions for moves, and I find the practicality of using what the body is used to to help with physical muscle memory important in the application of martial arts. I'm not a boxer, and I'm not sparring anytime soon, so my appreciation is totally on feasibility.

I took BJJ for a very short time, and while I got a work out out of it, the moves were complex even at a beginner level and I felt there were too many steps with too much that could go wrong. I can't flip someone anymore like I could in the class. I can, however, still fall back, cat strike, and push a gun out of the way the way I was taught in my krav maga class so long ago now.
    Traditional Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, with the suit (Gi), uggh, I just don't have the patience for. I agree, moves are too complex. If you're really into it, it's endless, but all I ever wanted to learn was how to defend myself/others as effectively as possible.

I also learned No-Gi, so I feel like I'm wearing ropes with a Gi. Turn off. 10th Planet baby!

Anyway, I've NEVER taken a Krav Maga class. Sounds cool, and effective.

But for the sport of MMA, where you're not trying to maim or mutilate your opponent (though that certainly happens), you will not survive in the cage without, in my estimate, Jiu-Jitsu (think Royce Gracie DOMINATING the first UFCs) > Wrestling > Boxing > Muay Thai. Those four, you're solid in a cage fight. Open to debate.

SOOOOOO many martial arts got thrown out the window when the early days of UFC started. Some were jokes compared to an armbar or strong left hook.

Not to say that many of those can't be great building blocks, but MMA is "young man" strength. There will never be an Aikido master fighting in a cage using only Blending and Flowing, though he may have learned that first (I took like 4 months of Aikido and felt I couldn't beat up a 10 year old girl).

All that said, this is all different than what you would need in a street fight, bar fight, hand to hand combat on a battlefield, 1 against 4 (any more opponents than one, Jiu Jitsu is almost useless, for example), etc, etc.

Opponent/attacker has knife, gun, surprises you, surprises you with extra goons. Scenarios almost endless.

BUT I think MMA gives a solid foundation. From experience and study. Though other systems seem good too. I'm intrigued by Krav Maga, finding a proper instructor not full of shit, another issue.

That's my take for the day!

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

@johnnyyukon

yeah it depends who you learn it from as well. Learning wing chung and boxing is a good combination for mastering striking because the wing chung teaches you how to generate force from a neutral stance with minimum effort, maximum speed, and lowest amount of collateral damage (impact to the joints) on your back leg and then the boxing teaches you how to be mobile and duck and weave and move around on the front leg.

Practicing left handed and right handed drills in both and working on a speed bag really sharpen your dexterity and I find a synergistic effect in musicianship as well as scholastic efforts.

Mostly what I like about wing chung is it's emphasis on symmetry and using both sides but all mma pretty much does that except for boxing.

But I have an intuition you are pretty proficient and know all of this already.

But jujitsu or d1 wrestling skills are mandatory for any sort of ring combat based on what I've seen studying fighters.
    I like to study boxers more though. I like boxing from a strategic perspective and anticipate who's style will beat who.

edit: I also think grappling mixed with wing chung wrist dynamics, if they don't already overlap, could also teach one how to acquire an added degree of leverage when it comes to throws and take downs.
    it was open
    -the end"

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I have noticed that I am rather attracted to a lot of MMA type guys. Ironic given I have no interest in the sport, nor watching. It's ironic and unfortunate really.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

@johnnyyukon

yeah it depends who you learn it from as well. Learning wing chung and boxing is a good combination for mastering striking because the wing chung teaches you how to generate force from a neutral stance with minimum effort, maximum speed, and lowest amount of collateral damage (impact to the joints) on your back leg and then the boxing teaches you how to be mobile and duck and weave and move around on the front leg.

Practicing left handed and right handed drills in both and working on a speed bag really sharpen your dexterity and I find a synergistic effect in musicianship as well as scholastic efforts.

Mostly what I like about wing chung is it's emphasis on symmetry and using both sides but all mma pretty much does that except for boxing.

But I have an intuition you are pretty proficient and know all of this already.

But jujitsu or d1 wrestling skills are mandatory for any sort of ring combat based on what I've seen studying fighters.
    I like to study boxers more though. I like boxing from a strategic perspective and anticipate who's style will beat who.

edit: I also think grappling mixed with wing chung wrist dynamics, if they don't already overlap, could also teach one how to acquire an added degree of leverage when it comes to throws and take downs.
    As much as I will dog on things like Aikido, it did teach me some balance. Even Yoga has helped there tremendously, probably helping some of my boxing in ways I don't even know.

Most all martial arts overlap.

Concerning symmetry, I try to work the punching bag, for example, with my weaker side (my left jab works, but my right jab is like 5 times stronger, it seems).

My coach always said "learn to punch with your weaker side and your stronger side is stronger."

Thing about most "natural" fights (fights I believe cagefighting does a decent job at simulating with minimal risk of death-actually think UFC has zero deaths compared to boxing) is that they end up on the ground. That's why wrestling and jiu jitsu are in my top two.

I've rolled with many top level wrestlers that knew little of JJ, and although they could take me down quite easily, once there, they were clueless. Not a bash against wrestling, just those rules have no bearing on JJ.

I believe Japanese Jiu Jitsu utilizes a lot of standing wrist locks. MUCH of BJJ is like shoulder locks, chokes, larger joint cranks (sooooo many are simply devastating, you can't even practice leg locks like a heel hook in most schools without being a blue belt, which can take up to 5 years depending on your dedication. too many ACL tears).

Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post