• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MMA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As requested. And maybe a place to talk about martial arts.

Fight Club days:

HMiDYfU.jpg

L3Y5X10.jpg

pw8oLgo.jpg

Dl49DC6.jpg

rfMIf5Y.jpg

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
I can take you down man.

Also,

I am interested in what martial arts you learned and what martial arts you recommend.

I was thinking for striking: Krav Maga > kick boxing> Boxing > Wing Chun (takes too long to learn though) > Wushu, Karate etc
Grappling: Brazilian Ju Jitsu > Judo > Ju Jitsu etc.

I've done a lot of karate and a 'bit' of boxing and has come to realize that boxing is way more practical, easy to learn and effective in real combat vs Karate.

I wonder whether you have recommendations for striking sports and grappling sports or whether learning one of those methods is enough for street fighting/real fighting.

You did say it's dedicated to MMA. So there you have it, my questions.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
krav maga is wing chung slightly tailored. Wing chung is chinese boxing. If you mix wing chung with boxing you get jeet kune do which is the best if you are athletic enough to use it. It's what anderson silva used in conjunction with brazillian ju jitsu to win for so many years. He even trained on a wooden dummy.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I mean, when else do you get to pound the shit out of someone and possibly even brag about it and get away with it all?:happy2:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Krav Maga is my love when it comes to martial arts. I like the simplicity of the moves, how not much strength is needed for them, and how it can easily be tailored to dealing with several sizes of opponents. A lot of modern teachers are using submissive positions as the starting positions for moves, and I find the practicality of using what the body is used to to help with physical muscle memory important in the application of martial arts. I'm not a boxer, and I'm not sparring anytime soon, so my appreciation is totally on feasibility.

I took BJJ for a very short time, and while I got a work out out of it, the moves were complex even at a beginner level and I felt there were too many steps with too much that could go wrong. I can't flip someone anymore like I could in the class. I can, however, still fall back, cat strike, and push a gun out of the way the way I was taught in my krav maga class so long ago now.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what martial arts were you learning?

MMA, so well rounded in American wrestling, Boxing, Muay Thai, NO-gi Jiu Jitsu, (the Gi is that annoying "suit" as I like to call it, so No-Gi could be nothing but shorts), Ground and Pound, Dirty Boxing.

krav maga is wing chung slightly tailored. Wing chung is chinese boxing. If you mix wing chung with boxing you get jeet kune do which is the best if you are athletic enough to use it. It's what anderson silva used in conjunction with brazillian ju jitsu to win for so many years. He even trained on a wooden dummy.

I could see wing chung (or a variety of martial arts) being a good foundation for the more aggressive Ass Beating Arts, which I've listed above.

Krav Maga is my love when it comes to martial arts. I like the simplicity of the moves, how not much strength is needed for them, and how it can easily be tailored to dealing with several sizes of opponents. A lot of modern teachers are using submissive positions as the starting positions for moves, and I find the practicality of using what the body is used to to help with physical muscle memory important in the application of martial arts. I'm not a boxer, and I'm not sparring anytime soon, so my appreciation is totally on feasibility.

I took BJJ for a very short time, and while I got a work out out of it, the moves were complex even at a beginner level and I felt there were too many steps with too much that could go wrong. I can't flip someone anymore like I could in the class. I can, however, still fall back, cat strike, and push a gun out of the way the way I was taught in my krav maga class so long ago now.

Traditional Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, with the suit (Gi), uggh, I just don't have the patience for. I agree, moves are too complex. If you're really into it, it's endless, but all I ever wanted to learn was how to defend myself/others as effectively as possible.

I also learned No-Gi, so I feel like I'm wearing ropes with a Gi. Turn off. 10th Planet baby!

Anyway, I've NEVER taken a Krav Maga class. Sounds cool, and effective.

But for the sport of MMA, where you're not trying to maim or mutilate your opponent (though that certainly happens), you will not survive in the cage without, in my estimate, Jiu-Jitsu (think Royce Gracie DOMINATING the first UFCs) > Wrestling > Boxing > Muay Thai. Those four, you're solid in a cage fight. Open to debate.

SOOOOOO many martial arts got thrown out the window when the early days of UFC started. Some were jokes compared to an armbar or strong left hook.

Not to say that many of those can't be great building blocks, but MMA is "young man" strength. There will never be an Aikido master fighting in a cage using only Blending and Flowing, though he may have learned that first (I took like 4 months of Aikido and felt I couldn't beat up a 10 year old girl).

All that said, this is all different than what you would need in a street fight, bar fight, hand to hand combat on a battlefield, 1 against 4 (any more opponents than one, Jiu Jitsu is almost useless, for example), etc, etc.

Opponent/attacker has knife, gun, surprises you, surprises you with extra goons. Scenarios almost endless.

BUT I think MMA gives a solid foundation. From experience and study. Though other systems seem good too. I'm intrigued by Krav Maga, finding a proper instructor not full of shit, another issue.

That's my take for the day!

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION]

yeah it depends who you learn it from as well. Learning wing chung and boxing is a good combination for mastering striking because the wing chung teaches you how to generate force from a neutral stance with minimum effort, maximum speed, and lowest amount of collateral damage (impact to the joints) on your back leg and then the boxing teaches you how to be mobile and duck and weave and move around on the front leg.

Practicing left handed and right handed drills in both and working on a speed bag really sharpen your dexterity and I find a synergistic effect in musicianship as well as scholastic efforts.

Mostly what I like about wing chung is it's emphasis on symmetry and using both sides but all mma pretty much does that except for boxing.

But I have an intuition you are pretty proficient and know all of this already.

But jujitsu or d1 wrestling skills are mandatory for any sort of ring combat based on what I've seen studying fighters.
I like to study boxers more though. I like boxing from a strategic perspective and anticipate who's style will beat who.

edit: I also think grappling mixed with wing chung wrist dynamics, if they don't already overlap, could also teach one how to acquire an added degree of leverage when it comes to throws and take downs.

á´…eparted

passages
I have noticed that I am rather attracted to a lot of MMA type guys. Ironic given I have no interest in the sport, nor watching. It's ironic and unfortunate really.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION]

yeah it depends who you learn it from as well. Learning wing chung and boxing is a good combination for mastering striking because the wing chung teaches you how to generate force from a neutral stance with minimum effort, maximum speed, and lowest amount of collateral damage (impact to the joints) on your back leg and then the boxing teaches you how to be mobile and duck and weave and move around on the front leg.

Practicing left handed and right handed drills in both and working on a speed bag really sharpen your dexterity and I find a synergistic effect in musicianship as well as scholastic efforts.

Mostly what I like about wing chung is it's emphasis on symmetry and using both sides but all mma pretty much does that except for boxing.

But I have an intuition you are pretty proficient and know all of this already.

But jujitsu or d1 wrestling skills are mandatory for any sort of ring combat based on what I've seen studying fighters.
I like to study boxers more though. I like boxing from a strategic perspective and anticipate who's style will beat who.

edit: I also think grappling mixed with wing chung wrist dynamics, if they don't already overlap, could also teach one how to acquire an added degree of leverage when it comes to throws and take downs.

As much as I will dog on things like Aikido, it did teach me some balance. Even Yoga has helped there tremendously, probably helping some of my boxing in ways I don't even know.

Most all martial arts overlap.

Concerning symmetry, I try to work the punching bag, for example, with my weaker side (my left jab works, but my right jab is like 5 times stronger, it seems).

My coach always said "learn to punch with your weaker side and your stronger side is stronger."

Thing about most "natural" fights (fights I believe cagefighting does a decent job at simulating with minimal risk of death-actually think UFC has zero deaths compared to boxing) is that they end up on the ground. That's why wrestling and jiu jitsu are in my top two.

I've rolled with many top level wrestlers that knew little of JJ, and although they could take me down quite easily, once there, they were clueless. Not a bash against wrestling, just those rules have no bearing on JJ.

I believe Japanese Jiu Jitsu utilizes a lot of standing wrist locks. MUCH of BJJ is like shoulder locks, chokes, larger joint cranks (sooooo many are simply devastating, you can't even practice leg locks like a heel hook in most schools without being a blue belt, which can take up to 5 years depending on your dedication. too many ACL tears).

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
As much as I will dog on things like Aikido, it did teach me some balance. Even Yoga has helped there tremendously, probably helping some of my boxing in ways I don't even know.

Most all martial arts overlap.

Concerning symmetry, I try to work the punching bag, for example, with my weaker side (my left jab works, but my right jab is like 5 times stronger, it seems).

My coach always said "learn to punch with your weaker side and your stronger side is stronger."

Thing about most "natural" fights (fights I believe cagefighting does a decent job at simulating with minimal risk of death-actually think UFC has zero deaths compared to boxing) is that they end up on the ground. That's why wrestling and jiu jitsu are in my top two.

I've rolled with many top level wrestlers that knew little of JJ, and although they could take me down quite easily, once there, they were clueless. Not a bash against wrestling, just those rules have no bearing on JJ.

I believe Japanese Jiu Jitsu utilizes a lot of standing wrist locks. MUCH of BJJ is like shoulder locks, chokes, larger joint cranks (sooooo many are simply devastating, you can't even practice leg locks like a heel hook in most schools without being a blue belt, which can take up to 5 years depending on your dedication. too many ACL tears).

nice. It's true. Even win basketball, shooting left handed layups makes you better at right handed layups. It's a phenomena of the brain. You could practice your weak side all day without touching your strong side and your strong side will still get better. If I ever go deeper into mma I'll take up BJJ.

Thanks.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have noticed that I am rather attracted to a lot of MMA type guys. Ironic given I have no interest in the sport, nor watching. It's ironic and unfortunate really.

don't know what kind of guy you like, but they're VERY high testosterone dudes.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nice. It's true. Even win basketball, shooting left handed layups makes you better at right handed layups. It's a phenomena of the brain. You could practice your weak side all day without touching your strong side and your strong side will still get better. If I ever go deeper into mma I'll take up BJJ.

Thanks.

It's a good one. I don't like the Gi, but whatever.

For the record, I couldn't find anything about Anderson Silva doing Wing Chung, or Jeet Kun Do. That aside, he is still a freak. Fuckin' assassin.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It's a good one. I don't like the Gi, but whatever.

For the record, I couldn't find anything about Anderson Silva doing Wing Chung, or Jeet Kun Do. That aside, he is still a freak. Fuckin' assassin.

his level of wing chung is probably the same as someone taking BJJ for one month...what I meant to say is that he understands the principles behind it and is a big fan of bruce's philosophy and bruce in general.

Even still I've seen him practicing his own made up martial arts on a wooden dummy....which is kind of funny on one hand, but on the other hand kind of astonishing and impressive.

á´…eparted

passages
don't know what kind of guy you like, but they're VERY high testosterone dudes.

Personality wise, not really into that. It turns me on sorta, but I recognize that I would connect with a really reeeeeally low number of them. As such it ends up being a conscious put-off.

Physically though? Yep, kiiiinda really into that (sans the fighting part)...

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Aw, [MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION] I will take you both out with a smile and a hair barrette. ;) Just kidding. (I wouldn't use the barrette.)

Seriously, I don't do MMA.

Never have, but I do let the MMA guys train in my building.

I told them I wouldn't hurt them so long as they didn't break anything.

So far they have been very cooperative.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aw, [MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION] I will take you both out with a smile and a hair barrette. ;) Just kidding. (I wouldn't use the barrette.)

Seriously, I don't do MMA.

Never have, but I do let the MMA guys train in my building.

I told them I wouldn't hurt them so long as they didn't break anything.

So far they have been very cooperative.

You are kind, O Ene, Bone Smasher.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Hey, I like that name!

I am glad you started a thread as a place to talk about martial arts.

I think there was one here once upon a time but a dragon ate it....or something like that.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Martial arts are so super.

Bruce Lee would lose a UFC match in his weight class. Unless, I wonder, if he had time to train..........