• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Quick food update: Finished off the noodle salad, the sausage, and the smoothie. Tried the salad, but didn't like it. (The greens are too thick and tough to work as salad greens. Must be some kind of chard?) Next step is the quinoa tabbouleh, and blending the cherries into another smoothie. I think I'll use the chard to make ramen tomorrow, with shallots and dried shiitake mushrooms and eggs. Mmm. :wub:

Send it to meeee. I <3 summer fruits. This is one of the reasons i decided not to do a CSA though, I hate throwing away food. And I just don't have the fridge space for that much produce.
It helps to have a "personal share", if that's possible. My produce always fits into a bag that's somewhere between grocery paper bag sized and canvas bag sized. Could fit into a bag half that size if it weren't for the leafy greens.

This reminds me that I need to brainstorm what we're going to cook when I visit. (Less than two weeks away!!)

Dangit, I keep forgetting to download that yoga app! I should also look for Groupons at studios near by.
:yes: Good idea. That yoga app really is great though.

I may do some research into Portland yoga classes too -- good way to force myself to exercise while I'm there. I'm sure there's something at least semi-affordable downtown.

I might try that sesame ginger noodle recipe. I only have red miso though. Maybe just use less?
Yep! I usually use a heaping teaspoon, instead of a tablespoon.

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The workout struggle continues... :( It tends to be easier for me to get up in the morning if I've exercised the day before (or two days before), so I'm less likely to oversleep. But I haven't had time to exercise in the evenings this week, so I've fallen into a cycle of bad sleep / no exercise / rinse, repeat. That will end tonight, as I plan on doing some yoga after getting my hair cut/dyed.

Also going to try to get into enough of an exercise routine that I feel like I can continue it when I go to Portland at the end of next week.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Exercise update:

Planning health-related things for next week's vacation. Seeing if I can be one of those people who exercises when they're out of town... Thinking I might bring my running shoes. [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] did you say there was a trail by your house? Also, on a scale of 1 to "wtf are you thinking", how would you feel about us going to a beginner/intermediate yoga class on some morning while we're there?

Food update:

Roommate's getting back this week, so thankfully she'll be able to help me out with this week's CSA share. (I think I'm going to have to throw out half a cabbage and 3-ish collard leaves from last week's share, but that's not so bad on a relative scale.)

Stay tuned as I try to figure out how to turn at least some of that produce into airplane snacks for Sunday morning...

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Exercise update:

Planning health-related things for next week's vacation. Seeing if I can be one of those people who exercises when they're out of town... Thinking I might bring my running shoes. [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] did you say there was a trail by your house? Also, on a scale of 1 to "wtf are you thinking", how would you feel about us going to a beginner/intermediate yoga class on some morning while we're there?

It's not a trail, but there's a flat, not super busy, road with well-maintained side walks and lots of trees right outside my apartment complex.

I am definitely in favor of the yoga class/morning walks idea!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm tempted to turn my food section of this blog into a "help me with my CSA" thing, where I post everything I got, and then how I plan on using some of it/what things I need help with.

For example, when I got back from vacation, my roommate had used everything up in the CSA except for some leeks and potatoes and onions and tomatoes. So I took the leeks and a potato and made half of this: Leek Potato Soup Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
(substituted 1/4 cup sour cream for 1/2 cup creme fraiche or buttermilk, because I had sour cream around)
And it was really good for what it was, but I didn't love what it was. Not making it again. On the bright side, now I know I don't love vichyssoise.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Does your treadmill have a fan on it? I flippin' love the treadmill fan. It makes life worth living for the duration of my exercise.

i was sort of hoping this was some sort of pick up line. but it's not :( it's ok

i have a lame but funny i heard recently: "are you a fish running into a wall? because damn!"

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't have time to read the whole thread but damn, good job guys. :thumbup:

Just some quick thoughts from the last few pages:

Some people are morning workout people and some are night workout people. Personally, I tend to workout at night because my blood pressure is so low in the morning that I can barely get out of bed (it's genetic, compounded by slight anaemia). One rule though, is that you will definitely need to eat before your workout, unless it's about 2-3 hrs after a major meal. There are some people who argue against that (mainly those who do intermittent fasting) to maintain a state of ketosis while they work out, which they argue burns more fat, but that tends to work better for guys than women. And it doesn't work well for some guys either - that's highly dependent on individual hormone levels.

I usually eat a small meal (protein bar + a piece of fruit, some milk + fruit, greek yogurt + fruit, protein smoothie) about 1 hr before working out. It's important to get in some protein and a bit of natural sugar, that maximises your performance and you don't feel like you're gonna drop halfway through. Working out while fasted also means that you're in a catabolic state through the work out and will tend to cannibalise muscle, which means that recovery is gonna be affected as well - that will add a drag on your next work out.

Also: LOVE peanut butter + banana + oat smoothies. I add protein to that as either breakfast or a post-workout recovery drink. The fiber in that tends to move things along in my gut so I can't drink it before a workout or I'd be in agony. I also don't drink it too often either because peanut butter + bananas can be danger foods, easy to overconsume if you are trying to make a calorie deficit.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A couple of updates:

1) My gym won't let me cancel my membership until like November. :dry: On the bright side, that means free treadmill use if I don't force myself to get used to outdoor running in the winter. And free exercise bike use if I ever decide to do that again. On the downside, I'm out kind of a lot of money between now and then.

2) My dad suggested to me, a bit ago, that I should sign up for a race, so I have something to train for. Motivation to keep running, and to practice running when it's hotter outside. So after doing a little research, and reading this article, I've decided to sign up for a 5K at some point this fall. Maybe moving to a 10k early-ish next year. I think my exercise schedule will be:
Workweek:
- two runs (fartlek + something else?)
- one yoga class (using my app or getting up super early on a Wednesday)
Weekend:
- one long run
- maybe also one yoga class (4pm Sunday or using my app)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't have time to read the whole thread but damn, good job guys. :thumbup:

Just some quick thoughts from the last few pages:

Some people are morning workout people and some are night workout people. Personally, I tend to workout at night because my blood pressure is so low in the morning that I can barely get out of bed (it's genetic, compounded by slight anaemia). One rule though, is that you will definitely need to eat before your workout, unless it's about 2-3 hrs after a major meal. There are some people who argue against that (mainly those who do intermittent fasting) to maintain a state of ketosis while they work out, which they argue burns more fat, but that tends to work better for guys than women. And it doesn't work well for some guys either - that's highly dependent on individual hormone levels.

I usually eat a small meal (protein bar + a piece of fruit, some milk + fruit, greek yogurt + fruit, protein smoothie) about 1 hr before working out. It's important to get in some protein and a bit of natural sugar, that maximises your performance and you don't feel like you're gonna drop halfway through. Working out while fasted also means that you're in a catabolic state through the work out and will tend to cannibalise muscle, which means that recovery is gonna be affected as well - that will add a drag on your next work out.
Interesting stuff... :thinking:

I should probably start being an evening workout person, then. I can understand rolling out of bed and going for a run, but I can't understand rolling out of bed, eating, waiting an hour, and THEN going for a run. (Exception being the one morning yoga class that I have gone to; I've started my morning with coffee and a banana, then took the train for an hour, then took the class, then had trail mix or something after, before using the shower at my work. But I have to get up SO early for that, that I don't like to do it very often.)

Also: LOVE peanut butter + banana + oat smoothies. I add protein to that as either breakfast or a post-workout recovery drink. The fiber in that tends to move things along in my gut so I can't drink it before a workout or I'd be in agony. I also don't drink it too often either because peanut butter + bananas can be danger foods, easy to overconsume if you are trying to make a calorie deficit.
I love them too!! That new recipe I posted (with ground flaxseed) is my favorite go-to smoothie recipe, in part because it's light enough on each ingredient (except banana) that it's a banana-centric smoothie, without being too sweet. Other similar recipes have seemed too heavy on the peanut butter/oats combo.

I'm not aiming to lower the number of calories I'm eating in each meal. I think my problem may be eating too much after dinner. Thinking I should resolve to not eat anything after 9pm, and drink water instead.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
2) My dad suggested to me, a bit ago, that I should sign up for a race, so I have something to train for. Motivation to keep running, and to practice running when it's hotter outside. So after doing a little research, and reading this article, I've decided to sign up for a 5K at some point this fall. Maybe moving to a 10k early-ish next year. I think my exercise schedule will be:
Workweek:
- two runs (fartlek + something else?)
- one yoga class (using my app or getting up super early on a Wednesday)
Weekend:
- one long run
- maybe also one yoga class (4pm Sunday or using my app)
Sounds awesome, good luck! Is there a goal time that you want to hit? Or a particular placing?

You might want to alternate fartleks with more structured high intensity intervals to increase your aerobic capacity. HIIT takes less time as well, which would be great for a work day workout. I'm assuming that you'll be doing the long run as a tempo run? Yoga would be great for recovery! :happy2:

I should probably start being an evening workout person, then. I can understand rolling out of bed and going for a run, but I can't understand rolling out of bed, eating, waiting an hour, and THEN going for a run. (Exception being the one morning yoga class that I have gone to; I've started my morning with coffee and a banana, then took the train for an hour, then took the class, then had trail mix or something after, before using the shower at my work. But I have to get up SO early for that, that I don't like to do it very often.)
Yep I completely agree. ;) Mornings are for the birds. Or people with a lot more self-discipline than me.

I love them too!! That new recipe I posted (with ground flaxseed) is my favorite go-to smoothie recipe, in part because it's light enough on each ingredient (except banana) that it's a banana-centric smoothie, without being too sweet. Other similar recipes have seemed too heavy on the peanut butter/oats combo.
I've played around a bit with the recipes too, and I agree, flaxseeds are a great addition! :D Generally banana+peanut butter is a heavenly combo, I do it in the overnight-oats form with almond milk for weekends instead of smoothies because I love the crunch of the chunky peanut butter too. *salivates*

I'm not aiming to lower the number of calories I'm eating in each meal. I think my problem may be eating too much after dinner. Thinking I should resolve to not eat anything after 9pm, and drink water instead.
Do you eat after 9pm because you get hungry? Or is it a craving/boredom thing?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds awesome, good luck! Is there a goal time that you want to hit? Or a particular placing?
:laugh: My standards are pretty low. An 8.5-9.5 minute mile would be great (I'm at a 9.5-10.5 minute mile now). Time will most likely be my focus, instead of placing, since my city is pretty athletic.

You might want to alternate fartleks with more structured high intensity intervals to increase your aerobic capacity. HIIT takes less time as well, which would be great for a work day workout.
How does that work? Is that also running-specific?

I'm assuming that you'll be doing the long run as a tempo run?
Yep!

Yoga would be great for recovery! :happy2:
:yes: Totally. And really good for upper body and core strength.

Do you eat after 9pm because you get hungry? Or is it a craving/boredom thing?
I think I perceive it as hunger and it really isn't? Or it's idleness+tiredness?

Either way, as this week has gone on and I've been eating healthy more often, and exercising more, I haven't been craving food in the evenings as much. Fingers crossed that that'll last.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My first EVER treadmill workout was yesterday. It felt good, and got me really motivated, while also being an objectively bad workout. :laugh: I didn't realize how unsteady I am as a runner, in a way that made it difficult to adapt to a steady treadmill pace (and a very narrow area on which you are allowed to run). I didn't run all that far, or with a whole lot of intensity (til the end), but I wanted to go easy on myself on the first day -- especially since I started to feel it in my knees pretty early. Maybe I run differently on the treadmill?

Anyway. I'm going back to the gym tomorrow (either morning or after work). Not sure if I'll do a tempo run or some sort of interval something-or-another.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My first EVER treadmill workout was yesterday. It felt good, and got me really motivated, while also being an objectively bad workout. :laugh: I didn't realize how unsteady I am as a runner, in a way that made it difficult to adapt to a steady treadmill pace (and a very narrow area on which you are allowed to run). I didn't run all that far, or with a whole lot of intensity (til the end), but I wanted to go easy on myself on the first day -- especially since I started to feel it in my knees pretty early. Maybe I run differently on the treadmill?

Anyway. I'm going back to the gym tomorrow (either morning or after work). Not sure if I'll do a tempo run or some sort of interval something-or-another.

Treadmill running is about the only way I can run, unfortunately. My lungs have an easier time inside than out. It is definitely harder on knees! And just downright boring.

Starting Tuesday, my life will be semi-normal again! I'll be back in my apartment, hopefully on a fairly normal cooking/work schedule. I'm planning to make a few things that I've made before to start. I need to get motivated to look up new recipes to try again. I was doing so well for awhile but I've been pretty apathetic about it lately. To Pinterest!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I made something new! Spicy Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing. I wasn't feeling the vegetarian thing, so I used the potato seasoning on chicken breast tenders, with the addition of granulated garlic. It was really, really, yummy! The only other thing I would change would be to replace some of the water in the dressing with oil. It doesn't coat the lettuce very well without enough fat.

Exercise. Hmmm. I downloaded the yoga app that [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] recommended. I really like it! However it's just not the same as going to an actual yoga class. Doing yoga in my living room on my phone just doesn't have quite the same effect. So, I will be looking for a reasonably priced studio somewhere near my house. In the meantime I am going to commit to doing cardio in the gym at my apartment complex/some form of cardio 3x a week, and yoga afterwards on the app.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

Things like when the best time of day to run is more linked to when one who natural habits of their normal waking time; there is no ideal time to run.

From personal experience, when running a short training run of less than a few miles in the morning it is best to have something small to eat as soon as one wakes up, such an energy bar or banana and a small glass of water, so by the time they have got ready then they should be good to go. It is possible for someone with a decent diet to run a short training run of a few miles on an empty stomach, since the body uses its fat reserves as energy. It only when one tries to do a longer run or maximum effort for too long that the is a risk of using all the glycogen from the body. I only train in the morning at the weekend and that is only so I used to running in the morning for races.

Having run over forty 5k races, and if I was training for my first 5k again I would run at max speed three times a week for a 3k each time for about three times a week, for a couple of months, before increasing a couple of the runs to 5k the month before the race, and forget all the pretentious kinds of running plans methods. But that might just be me.:unsure:

P.S Treadmills are boring.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some quick recipe reviews.

The Iron You: Eggplant Parmesan Quinoa Casserole = Pretty good, if you like that sort of thing. All the benefits of eggplant parm without as much of a carb coma as if it had been paired with pasta. Plus, I didn't need to buy any extra groceries for it. (I cut the recipe in half.) On the other hand, it would taste better with pasta.

Healthy Cinnamon Sugar Apple Muffins - Pinch of Yum = SO GOOD. And so easy! Will definitely make again. Love the crunchy cinnamon sugar topping.

Simple Peach Iced Tea | Minimalist Baker Recipes = Made it the last time I had several friends over, and it was a big hit. Would definitely make again. (Also, the leftover sugary peaches from the simple syrup process are so. good. I ate them in oats for breakfast for the next few mornings but they would really taste good in anything.)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ That peach tea sounds AMAZING. Mostly I want to make it so I can have sugary peaches for my oatmeal.

I rock climbed for the first time about two and half months tonight. I didn't lose as much strength as I anticipated. But oh my gosh does that endurance go away fast. Definitely use it or lose it. Considering I am going to feel it tomorrow. Considering I am going to be outdoor climbing in Spokane, WA in about a week, I should have gotten back in the rock gym weeks ago. Ouch.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Food update!

Sunday late-afternoon-through-late-evening binge cooking:

how to make bhindi masala recipe (tonight's dinner for me and my roommate, using up our CSA okra)

Broccoli Rabe Peanut Soba Noodles - Cookie and Kate (lunches for the next several days -- substituted kale for broccoli rabe)

Healthy Cinnamon Sugar Apple Muffins - Pinch of Yum (using up an apple that was about to go bad -- or maybe it already went bad? hopefully I won't get food poisoning)

and a blueberry banana smoothie with oats and ground flaxseed, for breakfast tomorrow. :)

The apples were good, as usual, and the okra curry was good too! Not something I'd seek out usually, but definitely a good go-to for if I ever have fresh okra lying around (which, in this case, I did).

The noodle recipe is [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]'s and my return to cooking the same recipe once a week and comparing notes. My general vote is that I like it! Even though I eat peanut soba noodles fairly regularly, I don't think I've eaten them hot for a very long time. Just as noodle salad, or slaw. But this tasted really good warm, and I liked it with kale. I may have liked it more with the toppings they suggested? I'll put some sesame seeds on them before I re-heat them tomorrow.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The noodle recipe is [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]'s and my return to cooking the same recipe once a week and comparing notes. My general vote is that I like it! Even though I eat peanut soba noodles fairly regularly, I don't think I've eaten them hot for a very long time. Just as noodle salad, or slaw. But this tasted really good warm, and I liked it with kale. I may have liked it more with the toppings they suggested? I'll put some sesame seeds on them before I re-heat them tomorrow.

I really enjoyed this recipe but unfortunately it does not reheat well. :( Next time I will probably leave the sauce separate. I put cilantro on mine (because I put cilantro on everything) and it was a nice touch. :)

Food:
Re-making Spanish Chicken and Potatoes tonight. It was a little boring last time, but I am omitting the potatoes, adding extra salt/pepper and garlic, and adding the leftover kale. Hopefully this will jazz it up a little. The tomatoes and eggplant are also currently in season, as opposed to last time I made this. I bought them at the farmer's market, so hopefully they don't disappoint!

I also bought some zucchini at the farmer's market that is going to become zucchini bread today. It's a normal full-fat, refined flour recipe so I am going to try to tweak it it a bit. I'll replace some of the flour with WW pastry, and some of the oil with applesauce. Might cut back on the sugar a bit as well. If it goes well, I will post it! I got it from my bestie's mom, so I can't link it.

Exercise:

I did cardio at the gym, then did my physical therapy exercises yesterday. A little bit sore, which is good. I'll do my physical therapy exercises this afternoon, and then I'll be rock climbing tonight. I'm going outdoor climbing in Spokane, WA this weekend and I'm desperately trying to get my feet re-acclimated to my climbing shoes again. If I don't succeed it will not be a fun weekend.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really enjoyed this recipe but unfortunately it does not reheat well. :( Next time I will probably leave the sauce separate. I put cilantro on mine (because I put cilantro on everything) and it was a nice touch. :)
Weird. I've been enjoying it re-heated. What flavors have been bothering you?

Re-making Spanish Chicken and Potatoes tonight. It was a little boring last time, but I am omitting the potatoes, adding extra salt/pepper and garlic, and adding the leftover kale. Hopefully this will jazz it up a little. The tomatoes and eggplant are also currently in season, as opposed to last time I made this. I bought them at the farmer's market, so hopefully they don't disappoint!
Mmm, sounds like that would be a really good pasta/quinoa topping.

I also bought some zucchini at the farmer's market that is going to become zucchini bread today. It's a normal full-fat, refined flour recipe so I am going to try to tweak it it a bit. I'll replace some of the flour with WW pastry, and some of the oil with applesauce. Might cut back on the sugar a bit as well. If it goes well, I will post it! I got it from my bestie's mom, so I can't link it.
ZUCCHINI BREAD. Damn it why didn't I think of that a few days ago?? I have zucchini I've been wanting to use up. Ah well. Hopefully my roommate will use it up before the next CSA share comes in tomorrow.

Looking forward to the recipe (if it turns out well)!

I did cardio at the gym, then did my physical therapy exercises yesterday. A little bit sore, which is good. I'll do my physical therapy exercises this afternoon, and then I'll be rock climbing tonight. I'm going outdoor climbing in Spokane, WA this weekend and I'm desperately trying to get my feet re-acclimated to my climbing shoes again. If I don't succeed it will not be a fun weekend.
Good luck! :cheers: