• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Does your treadmill have a fan on it? I flippin' love the treadmill fan. It makes life worth living for the duration of my exercise.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Does your treadmill have a fan on it? I flippin' love the treadmill fan. It makes life worth living for the duration of my exercise.

They don't! It's pretty lame. They got new treadmills at the gym near my parent's house and the new ones don't have fans. :dry:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Seriously! I should get one of those little clip-on fans and bring it with me. Might be super dweebish, totally worth it. :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bumpin' this blog, with four short health updates, one question, and one motivational link.

Short health updates:
  1. For the past 2-3 weeks, I've been eating out a LOT, because I've had so many people visiting me. First a friend from college, then my mom, then my best friend from high school. The week when my mom and my best friend were visiting, I had Chinese food leftovers for lunch for like 5 days in a row. Only had time to go for a run twice, and both times it was super short, but I went for a LOT of very long walks, so I wasn't totally inactive.
  2. Next week I have a conference at work where almost all my meals will be provided for 4 days straight. So who knows how that will turn out.
  3. [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] I finally have an update for you on the Yoga Studio app: it's awesome! I absolutely love it.
  4. Been having some GI issues that started on Thursday after a large meal consisting of bison-veggie hash and a very large milkshake. Those issues have not gone away, though they've gotten a lot better. If they don't go away by the end of the week, I'm going to preliminarily attribute blame to the milkshake, and I'll cut all lactose out of my diet for a little while to see if it makes a difference. If it does, then I guess I'm lactose intolerant, and will change my diet accordingly. Otherwise, who knows?
Question: How do you motivate yourself to exercise when you have visitors or are on vacation -- especially if your visitors are either not athletic, or don't like the forms of exercise that you like?

Motivational link: 13 Motivational Hacks From People Who Lost Weight And Kept It Off

(I'm not really trying to lose weight, but it's super helpful anyway)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another food update: I signed up for a CSA! So my food projects from now on will be based on figuring out how to use the produce I get each week. I love that sort of thing, so I'm obviously psyched. :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Goodness- that link is amazing!!!
BuzzFeed can be pretty great for this sort of thing. I've been impressed recently. Not so impressed with their "clean eating challenge", but nobody's perfect.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My food and exercise goals are pretty much on hold for the moment as I'm traveling. I tend to have a decent relationship with food at home, especially if I'm cooking for myself. It's fuel that can be healthy AND delicious. But when I'm eating out all the time it kind of feels like the enemy. I know the food will be richer, and the portions will be bigger. Especially in the UK where salads and light meals are scarce. Usually when I eat out I take home a decent amount of leftovers, but that's not practical when traveling. I'm walking a lot though, so there is that.

Definitely not liking the way I look in pictures though. :\ And one of my favorite pairs of capris is fitting a bit too tightly for my liking. When I get back home I'm planning to set some new goals, seeing as some of the ones from during the school year no longer really apply.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My food and exercise goals are pretty much on hold for the moment as I'm traveling. I tend to have a decent relationship with food at home, especially if I'm cooking for myself. It's fuel that can be healthy AND delicious. But when I'm eating out all the time it kind of feels like the enemy. I know the food will be richer, and the portions will be bigger. Especially in the UK where salads and light meals are scarce. Usually when I eat out I take home a decent amount of leftovers, but that's not practical when traveling. I'm walking a lot though, so there is that.
Do you and your mom have shared exercise interests, e.g. yoga? I'm wondering if maybe you guys could make time for something small in the mornings or the evenings, exercise-wise. If not, totally fine, since if your trip is anything like mine was a few years back, you're doing a TON of walking.

Also re: portion size, what my mom and I always do when we travel is share our entrees.

Definitely not liking the way I look in pictures though. :\ And one of my favorite pairs of capris is fitting a bit too tightly for my liking. When I get back home I'm planning to set some new goals, seeing as some of the ones from during the school year no longer really apply.
For the record, I think you look great in your pictures!

Why do your old goals no longer apply?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have this big package of ground flaxseed that I got back when I thought I would attempt baking -- before my miserable failed attempt a month or two ago -- and was looking at the back of the package, and saw that there was a recipe for bran flax muffins printed there. I made a batch and they're GREAT. Well, great if you like bran muffins. I froze like half the batch, and am keeping the rest out to share with my housemates.

The recipe is online as well: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/bran-flax-muffins/

Not a lot of other healthy food updates, except that I really like this smoothie recipe: Peanut Butter Banana Oat Smoothie - Let Why Lead

Exercise-wise, the weather has calmed down around here -- the heat front turned into several days of torrential rain, and now it's settled to 80-something days / 60-something evenings -- so I'm going to start running again. The yoga app I've been using has been excellent, though I really should go to an actual class at some point in the near future, just to make sure I'm doing it right.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, I have an exercise question: Usually I'm kind of hungry when I wake up in the morning, usually because I get out of bed about 15-30 minutes after my first alarm goes off. (I use an alarm/sleep-tracking app that wakes me up gradually.) How should I go about exercising in the morning, when that ends up being the case. Should I wake up super early, eat something small, kill time for half an hour, and THEN exercise? How should that work?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
AFAIK, you can just experiment and then do whatever works best for you. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this. I *don't* like to work out on an empty stomach (I just don't have any energy, and like you I'm hungry when I wake up) so I have a little something before I go to the gym. I don't bother waiting half an hour, I just scarf a thing of yogurt or whatever while I'm getting ready to go. If working out with food in my stomach made me nauseated, I'd do something else.

Last edited:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Also, I have an exercise question: Usually I'm kind of hungry when I wake up in the morning, usually because I get out of bed about 15-30 minutes after my first alarm goes off. (I use an alarm/sleep-tracking app that wakes me up gradually.) How should I go about exercising in the morning, when that ends up being the case. Should I wake up super early, eat something small, kill time for half an hour, and THEN exercise? How should that work?

I had this problem in high school. I used to go to a spin/cycle class at 5:30 am (I have no idea why I thought this was fun). I would generally eat a banana about 15 minutes before the class started, then have breakfast after. Except about halfway through class I would be STARVING to the point of feeling sick. I just generally hate morning exercise and avoid it.

Feeling pretty discouraged in terms of exercise. My lower back is pretty messed up after traveling. It basically just hurts all the time now. :cry: When I wake up it's really tight and angry, and at night it's spasmy. This is going to make work and exercise really difficult because I'm on my feet for 5-7 hours at a time at work and standing for long periods is what really sets it off, no matter how good my shoes are. I'm planning to try physical therapy again. Hopefully now that I've moved I'll be able to find one that actually takes my insurance within 15 miles of my apartment (couldn't before, we have crappy insurance).

I haven't actually planned meals or cooked for myself in over a month, so I'm excited to get back to that! I'm heading back tomorrow so I'll probably start planning today. The only problem is that all my work shifts for this week are afternoon/closing (boooooo). Which means I'll be at work for dinner. So I'll need to be cooking in the afternoons.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
11 Motivational Posters For People Who Only Care About Food

My favorite one:

wolfy

awsm

Eat some eggs

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Love it. This is my favorite:

Now that my life is kind of normal again, it's time for some updates!

I had some quinoa enchilada bake in the freezer when I got back. I took that out and I've been eating it for lunch with avocado. Nomnom. I'm planning to make the spinach, feta, and artichoke heart stuffed chicken breasts for dinner tonight. Breakfasts have been either nut butter toast and half a grapefruit or Greek yogurt, berries, and granola. I have some eggs too that will end up getting rotated in soon.

In terms of exercise, I started physical therapy again. I am going to be super diligent about doing my exercises! One of them is really funky and basically just involves squeezing different muscles. It's to correct my hips being misaligned due to my legs being different lengths. :dry: Stupid genetics. It legitimately is all my dad's fault. I really need to find either a place to do yoga, or start using the app that EJCC loves. Because that's something that really helps me stretch my back out and build core strength. Once my back calms down a bit I'll start rock climbing again too.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In Which EJCC Gets Anxious About CSA Produce Because She Hates Wasting Food

Ughh this CSA has been a pain. It's resulted in yummy things, but has been a pain. Initially I thought maybe they expect people to eat more than I do, but then I realized that they expect people to snack on things that involve produce. (For the past month or so, I've snacked on trail mix at work.) Plus, I'm from the Rockies, and we don't eat a lot of fruit out there (besides apples and maybe blueberries/huckleberries), so I've been at a loss as to what to do with all the fruit they've been giving me.

One of my roommates is from Florida and suggested smoothies, and I freaked out at how good an idea that was. So I made this smoothie with two peaches and a lot of cherries (plus some non-CSA bananas I had in the freezer): simple peach cherry smoothie — Edible Perspective

I also am planning on making this salad on Tuesday or Wednesday:
- Greens (kale? whatever it is that they gave me)
- Cherries
- Blueberry herb goat cheese from Trader Joe's
- Pecans
- Balsamic vinegar + olive oil

And I made half of this peach crisp recipe tonight to share with my roommates: Peach Crisp Recipe - Creative Cain Cabin

And this noodle salad recipe (which I'd made before) to use up one of my cucumbers: Sesame-Ginger and Cucumber Soba Noodles - Cookie and Kate

I also have a bunch of this soup in the freezer (using CSA onions and squash): Yellow Summer Squash and Corn Soup | Love and Olive Oil (modifications: more cumin, a poblano instead of a jalapeno (because the CSA gave me a poblano), and a generous quantity of chili paste from a tube to make up for the lack of spice).

And I have some servings of this left in the fridge (using up half a CSA cabbage and CSA green pepper), that I hope has not gone bad: Skillet Sausage 'n' Cabbage | mrfood.com (modification: cumin seeds instead of caraway seeds)

And I also want to make quinoa tabbouleh at some point to use up the remaining cucumber (plus two large CSA tomatoes).

Next week the CSA had enough requests to not deliver (maybe due to people's vacations?) that they aren't doing it this week. THANK GOD. I am not at all ready for more food in my fridge. I've still got half a head of cabbage left unaccounted for.

I need to learn some produce coping mechanisms...

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ughh this CSA has been a pain. It's resulted in yummy things, but has been a pain. Initially I thought maybe they expect people to eat more than I do, but then I realized that they expect people to snack on things that involve produce. (For the past month or so, I've snacked on trail mix at work.) Plus, I'm from the Rockies, and we don't eat a lot of fruit out there (besides apples and maybe blueberries/huckleberries), so I've been at a loss as to what to do with all the fruit they've been giving me.

Send it to meeee. I <3 summer fruits. This is one of the reasons i decided not to do a CSA though, I hate throwing away food. And I just don't have the fridge space for that much produce.

Went to my apartment's fitness center yesterday, it's just meh. I really didn't like the elliptical they have. Might stuck to jogging on the treadmill and yoga. Dangit, I keep forgetting to download that yoga app! I should also look for Groupons at studios near by.

For food, I need things to make that don't involve the oven! I might try that sesame ginger noodle recipe. I only have red miso though. Maybe just use less?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

One of my roommates is from Florida and suggested smoothies, and I freaked out at how good an idea that was. So I made this smoothie with two peaches and a lot of cherries (plus some non-CSA bananas I had in the freezer): simple peach cherry smoothie — Edible Perspective

I also am planning on making this salad on Tuesday or Wednesday:
- Greens (kale? whatever it is that they gave me)
- Cherries
- Blueberry herb goat cheese from Trader Joe's
- Pecans
- Balsamic vinegar + olive oil

And I made half of this peach crisp recipe tonight to share with my roommates: Peach Crisp Recipe - Creative Cain Cabin

And this noodle salad recipe (which I'd made before) to use up one of my cucumbers: Sesame-Ginger and Cucumber Soba Noodles - Cookie and Kate

I also have a bunch of this soup in the freezer (using CSA onions and squash): Yellow Summer Squash and Corn Soup | Love and Olive Oil (modifications: more cumin, a poblano instead of a jalapeno (because the CSA gave me a poblano), and a generous quantity of chili paste from a tube to make up for the lack of spice).

And I have some servings of this left in the fridge (using up half a CSA cabbage and CSA green pepper), that I hope has not gone bad: Skillet Sausage 'n' Cabbage | mrfood.com (modification: cumin seeds instead of caraway seeds)

And I also want to make quinoa tabbouleh at some point to use up the remaining cucumber (plus two large CSA tomatoes).

Next week the CSA had enough requests to not deliver (maybe due to people's vacations?) that they aren't doing it this week. THANK GOD. I am not at all ready for more food in my fridge. I've still got half a head of cabbage left unaccounted for.

I need to learn some produce coping mechanisms...

http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-use-up-your-csa-article

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/10-secrets-tips-for-making-the-most-of-your-csa.html

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/confusing-scary-csa-vegetables-recipes

http://lifeasmom.com/2012/07/eat-well-spend-less-how-to-use-your-csa-share.html

I totally get how you feel. We did the CSA for a few years but it just didn't work out. I joined our local food co-op. It's $65/year. There are many farms with everything from produce to meats to dairy, breads, eggs, you name it, all year around. You order on the website and go to the site every 2 weeks to pick up. I found this worked far better than the CSA for us, you're just so limited to what that farm produces.